Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

  1. #1
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    I know it's a perennial question. Just a day or two ago, Dusty was asked about it and, after pausing a few seconds to think and then slyly smiling, he answered "if I knew that...." and tailed off without completing the though.

    I know it's just baseball. Part of what makes it so frustrating or great depending on one's perspective.

    I know the cliches. And the mountains of precedent; we're far from the first team to not support an incredible pitching performance. And, not the first time this has happened this year for us.

    I wouldn't mind a game like tonight's (Game 3 LDS) if we had a team without capability. If we had a team like the Baltimore Ravens who continue to win games with defense and field goals.

    But we don't. We have:

    - a consistent MVP threat who, though maybe with a limited power stroke, can clearly find spots to drive singles and really help out with OBP

    - a near MVP candidate this year; heart of the team; track record for walkoff heroics

    - a totally under-rated catcher who can also hold his own with the bat

    - an aging veteran with a long track record of banging homers and hits

    - a wonderfully capable, and pretty consistent, 2nd baseman; another heart of the team

    - an up and coming shortstop

    - a now-benched infielder who did as much as anyone to build the win total when JoVo was out

    - an amazing left fielder who can hit one out off anyone

    - and, all together, a group who put up 9 runs...9 freakin' runs...against a ridiculously talented lineup stronger than when it won it all a couple of years ago

    How does this happen? No offense. None. How?

    OK, vent over but if anyone has any creative, insightful or even entertaining ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    254

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    I know it's a perennial question. Just a day or two ago, Dusty was asked about it and, after pausing a few seconds to think and then slyly smiling, he answered "if I knew that...." and tailed off without completing the though.

    I know it's just baseball. Part of what makes it so frustrating or great depending on one's perspective.

    I know the cliches. And the mountains of precedent; we're far from the first team to not support an incredible pitching performance. And, not the first time this has happened this year for us.

    I wouldn't mind a game like tonight's (Game 3 LDS) if we had a team without capability. If we had a team like the Baltimore Ravens who continue to win games with defense and field goals.

    But we don't. We have:

    - a consistent MVP threat who, though maybe with a limited power stroke, can clearly find spots to drive singles and really help out with OBP

    - a near MVP candidate this year; heart of the team; track record for walkoff heroics

    - a totally under-rated catcher who can also hold his own with the bat

    - an aging veteran with a long track record of banging homers and hits

    - a wonderfully capable, and pretty consistent, 2nd baseman; another heart of the team

    - an up and coming shortstop

    - a now-benched infielder who did as much as anyone to build the win total when JoVo was out

    - an amazing left fielder who can hit one out off anyone

    - and, all together, a group who put up 9 runs...9 freakin' runs...against a ridiculously talented lineup stronger than when it won it all a couple of years ago

    How does this happen? No offense. None. How?

    OK, vent over but if anyone has any creative, insightful or even entertaining ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.
    Tip your hat to Vogolsong and the giants Bull Pen and move on.

  4. #3
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Can't tip a hat to Vogelsong. He had a good outing. Nothing exceptional. Nothing like what Homer did.

    As for moving on, yeah, of course. But we all process disappointment differently. For me, it takes a few hours or the overnight. Some usually futile analysis. Then back as strong and glass-half-full as always.

    Am convinced we win this series; hopefully in four and not five but, either way, result's the same. Just would like to have some insightful breakthrough on the question posed. While also realizing it probably doesn't exist.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    487

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1940757690 View Post
    Can't tip a hat to Vogelsong. He had a good outing. Nothing exceptional. Nothing like what Homer did.

    As for moving on, yeah, of course. But we all process disappointment differently. For me, it takes a few hours or the overnight. Some usually futile analysis. Then back as strong and glass-half-full as always.

    Am convinced we win this series; hopefully in four and not five but, either way, result's the same. Just would like to have some insightful breakthrough on the question posed. While also realizing it probably doesn't exist.
    Well, where have you been since April? This offense has a tendency to struggle and has against far lesser outings than what Vogelsong gave tonight. Pitching and defense has been the name of the game for the Reds since day one.

    Hopefully Leake (IMO that is who is going) will keep SF at bay and the Reds can scratch a couple out and seal the deal tomorrow.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Bad hitting conditions, first game I've ever seen that the wind made GABP play like Petco Park. Felt like at least 2 balls tonight would been gone on most every night of the season but they died at the start of the track.

    From the first inning this felt like a game someone would lose rather than win and we lost it with BP making a bad move to go to 3rd. Homer hitting and walked a guy to start the 3rd leading to a run without a hit and Rolen making the error after a passed ball.

    Sucks we are up 2-1 but now feels like out backs are against the wall with the Johnny Cueto news.

  7. #6
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    Well, where have you been since April? This offense has a tendency to struggle and has against far lesser outings than what Vogelsong gave tonight. Pitching and defense has been the name of the game for the Reds since day one.
    <Snip>
    Wrote as much in first post above. Precedent. Just joined RZ a few days ago. Have been following the team closely for a few decades. Of course agree on the pitching/defense point. Just puzzled by the feeling of big unrealized potential (only at times or most of the time; to wit, game 2) from the lineup.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

  8. #7
    Member Over da Pence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    43

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Vogie said I helped him out a lot, especially with my spiderman sliding catch and my impassioned speech to the clubhouse. It wasn't what I said, but just ultimately the way I said it.

  9. #8
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,113

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    When you change your entire hitting approach because you think you're playing in Williamsport, Pa., (GABP is the next closest thing to it) tonight is what happens.

    Good, professional ABs and line drives in SF turned into a tragic comedy of upper-cuts and can-o-corns at home.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    When you change your entire hitting approach because you think you're playing in Williamsport, Pa., (GABP is the next closest thing to it) tonight is what happens.

    Good, professional ABs and line drives in SF turned into a tragic comedy of upper-cuts and can-o-corns at home.
    Yep. I'm afraid you're spot on.

  11. #10
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Over da Pence View Post
    Vogie said I helped him out a lot, especially with my spiderman sliding catch and my impassioned speech to the clubhouse. It wasn't what I said, but just ultimately the way I said it.
    The only thing dumber looking than how you throw is how you run.

    Nice hair.

  12. #11
    Member 1940757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    500

    Re: What is it with the hot/cold bats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Over da Pence View Post
    Vogie said I helped him out a lot, especially with my spiderman sliding catch and my impassioned speech to the clubhouse. It wasn't what I said, but just ultimately the way I said it.
    I heard it was the high-pulled socks.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25