Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Only One Man Can Stop the Choking (and it ain't Frazier this time)

Worth The Wait

Only One Man Can Stop the Choking (and it ain't Frazier this time)

One really terrible thing about being an avid sports fan is that sometimes you know before you know. Sometimes you've seen something play out so many times that you can feel it happen before it happens. If that premonition benefits the team you are rooting for, then great. When it doesn't.... Feels like dead man walking.

After the Marlins took the lead in game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, Game 7 was already over. The fans knew it, as did the players. When Joe Montana got one last drive in Super Bowl 23, he was GOING to lead them to a TD.....I could go on and on....

Right now, I have that feeling. I honestly don't even want to watch tomorrow (of course I will)... I'd rather just wake up at 4:00 and look up the final score.

This is a choke. To me a choke is when you fail to do something in a pressure situation that you would normally do. If the Reds get swept at home when two of the games were started by Vogelsong and Zito, that is a pretty big choke. Our body language after the Sandoval HR told a story.....they looked totally defeated. Some of the AB's in the 7th and 8th were pretty half-hearted.

It feels over. And it would be better if they were on the road. The pressure is only worse at home because the fans feel it too. I wish this game was in SF.

But I do have one glimmer of hope..... I think Latos is the best man to try and save us. I think he has the stones to handle this immense pressure. He would be my choice over anyone (even a healthy Cueto) to take the ball tomorrow.

Latos has a chance to relieve some tension. If he comes out throwing darts, fans and his teammates will begin to feel a bit better. If he gets rouged up early, lights out.

If he can outshine Cain, then maybe we scratch a run or two or get it to the bullpen tied.... I'll actually like our chances if its real close in the final innings. But my fear is that Cain gets 2 or more run lead and we wilt.

Honestly, I don't trust anyone else. I don't think Votto or Bruce or BP are going to get it done and make the big play to push us over tomorrow. It's all on Latos. Hoping he rewrite an ending that already feels etched.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Only One Man Can Stop the Choking (and it ain't Frazier this time)

Mat Latos is a big strong man, whose attitude and stuff reminds me of Don Drysdale.

He is the stopper on this team now.
    sorry we're boring

I agree Latos is the stopper for this team. He's can be the main part tomorrow but somebody else is going to have to step up because you can't win without a run and most likely some key defensive play. But i can't even talk about this anymore, i'm to disappointed in the decisions made today.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Mat Latos is a big strong man, whose attitude and stuff reminds me of Don Drysdale.

He'll have to be or the season ends tomorrow...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

He could throw a no hitter and still not win. Just ask Homer Bailey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Worth The Wait

It's funny how these things work though.... In a one game situation or short series, attitude and leadership can have a more direct effect. If Latos get us to the 7th or so... Even if its 0-0, I beleive the chances become more likely that someone steps up and gets it done. It's like he can absorb all the pressure himself and then everyone realizes "we only need one run?" I believe that. The problem is if he isn't dominant, then everyone feels the pressure and things will get ugly.

I'll call Latos The Sponge tomorrow. He has to soak it all up for everyone.

The Redman must defeat The Giant.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

You win as a team and lose as a team. The worst thing that can happen is for each guy to think he has to try to win the game on every pitch, every swing, and every defensive play. That's a recipe for losing the game quickly.

Here's my advice to the team:

Show up tomorrow. Take some deep breaths. Take your hands out of your pants. Believe in yourself. Believe in your teammates.

Then play like it's the last game you'll ever play.

Don't play tight, play loose.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    You win as a team and lose as a team. The worst thing that can happen is for each guy to think he has to try to win the game on every pitch, every swing, and every defensive play. That's a recipe for losing the game quickly.

Here's my advice to the team:

Show up tomorrow. Take some deep breaths. Take your hands out of your pants. Believe in yourself. Believe in your teammates.

Then play like it's the last game you'll ever play.
    And this is exactly why that baserunning blunder by BP was so crucial yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

VERY well said! Mat Latos, Reds fan lean on you.

It's a travesty that this crucial game in the season is a day game and many hard working Reds fans won't be able to attend or watch

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And Bring IT

The first run tomorrow is so important. If the Reds get down they'll press and they'll lose. Get an early lead and put the weight on the Giants hitters.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Easier said then done. I saw the tension in the players' faces today and I think it manifested itself in some really lousy AB's... The little half swing Votto put on a 2-1 pitch from Zito is very unlike him.

Players will all TELL you they want to pitch the deciding game or step into the box in the bottom of the 9th, but I actually don't think most do. I've always wondered if the definition of "clutch" was simply the ability to not choke?

I could be totally wrong here, but I think Latos is a guy that really wants the ball tomorrow. I think he is supremely confident and ready to step up amid the tension.

And let's say he pitches three scoreless to start the game.... Even if Cain is doing the same, And the game itself builds tension, I think Latos starts allowing everyone else to relax and focus. If they see him confident and cruising (playing "loose") then perhaps it helps relive their own tensions. Instead of thinking "ugh, none of us can hit right now," the focus might be "we can get him a couple of runs."

It's a team game, but tomorrow the team has no chance if Latos isn't great.

The biggest single play of this season might be when a guy went off on his own and tried to play hero yesterday. I agree that Latos needs to be a stopper, but he needs to relax and perform within his capabilities.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?