Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty have punted Game 1?

Re: Should Dusty have punted Game 1?

I think Dusty should have saved Bailey's one hitter for today.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I wouldn't call a start with a well rested Latos a coin flip, unless there's such a thing as a three sided coin with two heads.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No you never punt a playoff game. Never. Ever.
    This.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

"So Fla Red"

Giants aren't exactly chopped liver and are a WS caliber club. The Reds should have blitzed them 3-0 with dominant Homer last night, but now we are in the series dogfight that everyone expected. Every DS is now assured of going at least four games.

Gotta scratch out at least 3-4 runs tonight off Zito. The reversion to the Hacktastic approach of innings 6-10 isn't going to cut it.

Never give away a playoff game. Dusty did the right thing. Its amazing how some are already planning for a game 5 and doubting this team. Ive done it at times this year myself but history has showed us that this team bounces back from any adversity it faces. Why not tonight? Leake beat Cain with a complete game effort in SF earlier this year. The Giants offense is looking like us in September and in case people havent been watching were up 2 games to 1. it seems like all our starters bring their A game when the crowd is into it and we have a packed house. I predict Leake will be brilliant tonight and if he isnt at least we can hope he pitches evenly with Zito. Our bullpen is better than SF. We just need to come up with a big hit. It will probably be a 2 out hit with RISP and I have a feeling Stubbs(call me crazy but weve been drilling this guy for 2+ years. Hes due IMO) will get that hit. 3-2 Redlegs and on to the NLCS.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Punt game 1? Redszone at its best.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Punt game 1? Redszone at its best.
    Interesting question for discussion, but I think the let's win our first playoff game in 17 freaking years trumps the punt formation.

I just hope we see the victory formation today... (oh wait - in baseball you still have to pitch the ball and can't just take a knee. I do enjoy football, but this is one of the great parts of baseball)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Interesting question for discussion, but I think the let's win our first playoff game in 17 freaking years trumps the punt formation.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Why would you say we should have punted a game we won?

If the Reds wanted to go with Arroyo on 3 days rest they still could. They obviously choose not to.

Are you seriously asking if Dusty should have punted Game 1 of a 5 game series?

Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2nd time they have been in the playoffs since 1995, 3rd time since 1990, 4th time since 1979.

And they should throw away the chance to win?

Where's my pitchfork and torch?

After reading this and the " Talk me down from my ledge "

I must ask the question.

Is there a full moon out?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    After reading this and the "jumping off the ledge thread".

I must ask the question.

Is there a full moon out?
    New terrain I suppose.

Youth of Redsland listen to me.

ENJOY THIS IT'S A GAME YOU CANNOT CONTROL

GIVE IN TO THE GAME

No, the Reds should have gotten hits last night. Problem solved. But, I imagine if they could get a hit when they needed it, they'd have no losses, unless they lost on purpose.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

If the Reds tank game 1, at best they are up 2-1 heading into game 4. The Reds now are up 2-1 heading into game 4.

So no, they shouldn't have punted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?