Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Talk me down from my ledge

Re: Talk me down from my ledge

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yet, there's a reason we hang banners for world series titles and not great regular seasons.

Championships matter.
    That's a completely different point.

Regular season defines the calibre of the team.

But playoffs determines the winner of the year round tournament, which is the dramatic part. Doesn't change who the best team is, or erase a lot of great memories.

Of course the playoffs matter, but at the same time, it comes down to who performs in a small sample. It's random. It's compltely crazy to try evaluate why anything happens at this point because there are so many random factors at play.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yet, there's a reason we hang banners for world series titles and not great regular seasons.

Championships matter.
    Doesn't make enjoying the game/team/franchise any less IMO, otherwise Cubs fans wouldn't exist

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If RZ were around in the early 70's, this place would have completely melted down.

The Big Red Machine, of legend, "choked" in 1970, 1972, 1973, and didn't even show up (like the 2011 Reds) in 1971 or 1974.

1975 was a do or die year. Sparky had to win it all that year, or probably lose his job. The Reds were a constant disappointment throughout those years, with all of the all stars and great regular season records. They "choked", seemingly every single year.

This is all part of the learning process for these guys, and the Reds have a great young nucleus intact, almost, but maybe not as good as those 70's teams.

Now, these guys may win this series, the NL championship, and go on to win the WS. Or, they may not. But I have faith that this is all building towards the future, and this team will continue to fill holes and get better.

This society has changed since the early 70's. it's all about "now", and "what have you done lately" and the latest and greatest sound bite. But real life isn't like that. The older posters will get this. This is a better team than 2010 and the disappointment of 2011. And next year these guys will have one more year of experience. The near future is very, very bright. And maybe the present is, too.
    Great post. And I remember those teams. May, Tolan, etc. Couldn't win it all. Great players who just couldn't finish it off.

Fans need to remember that this team is built to contend for years. I know it's a long season, but there are alot of good teams in the playoffs. The Reds aren't entitled to win it because of any win/loss record or stats they've racked up in the season. It's now or never. Strange things can happen in the postseason. It's anybody's game.

But like the early 70's, this team may need a few more tweeks to it before they're ready to take home the gold.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

You know, if they pull off a couple championships in this decade and have some solid seasons, we'll look back on this time in a couple decades like we look back on the 70s now. Even now, I can look back on some pretty bad seasons and have some good memories from games I was at where special things happened. The passage of time does have a way of bringing to the forefront the best times and giving you a smile when you remember them.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Championships matter.
    The tradition of hanging those banners began when you actually had to be the best team to win one. Nowadays you can get blown away in your own division and still win a "championship".

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    That's a completely different point.

Regular season defines the calibre of the team.

But playoffs determines the winner of the year round tournament, which is the dramatic part. Doesn't change who the best team is, or erase a lot of great memories.

Of course the playoffs matter, but at the same time, it comes down to who performs in a small sample. It's random. It's compltely crazy to try evaluate why anything happens at this point because there are so many random factors at play.
    Agreed. You find out how good a team really is in the regular season. The playoffs are nothing more than a roll of the dice. No matter how this post-season tournament winds up one thing is for certain: if they played it all over again the results would be different. The playoffs are full of drama and excitement but they don't really prove anything at all.

I love this team. If they lose Thursday, I'll be disappointed, but still love them.

They are going to game five, not having their ACE for two games.

If they win Thursday (which I think they will), it should be marked down as a major upset.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I were allowed to fart on Mike Leake right now (you know, a good 'ole good one) I would.

Would it make me feel any better you ask? Of course. How could it not? Why would you ask such a ridiculous question? Keep your head in the game.

Seth Smith, that was a clutch post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I like being old for many reasons, having the ability to reason with that "little voice" has gotten easier as the years go by, peace of mind is greater than anything when it comes to fandom

Even if the reds lose I'll treasure this season, because it's the season that defines a team and not the post season

Maybe the press sees it different, maybe the culture of me demands chest thumping gorilla moments

But I don't, it's been a magical season so far and whatever happens tomorrow might sting, but it can't change that

At least to me, the rest of you deal with your own little voice
    Maybe it's the wisdom of years, though every year that little voice reminds me that I am less wise than I thought I was...

I am far more attracted to the culture, the stories, the journey, the long slog through the season. I admire the fan loyalty of long suffering teams who never win, yet know everything about the teams and players and the history of their franchise. And they never give up hope. Believe it or not, there are even Cubs fans like this, who are not inebriated all the time, and I really admire their fandom.

It's why baseball is so attractive to me; it's every day, nitty gritty, just like life. The very best teams totally suck some days, just like life. No one goes undefeated in life. And neither does any baseball team, not even the Yankees.

Even if this Reds team does win the WS this year (and I will be thrilled if that happens), I will still be sad after the season, because that little part of the journey is over. That time can never be recaptured, never lived in the present again.

Just maybe, as woy is hinting at (I think), the joy is as much in experiencing the journey as it is relishing the end of the story.
    sorry we're boring

If RZ were around in the early 70's, this place would have completely melted down.

The Big Red Machine, of legend, "choked" in 1970, 1972, 1973, and didn't even show up (like the 2011 Reds) in 1971 or 1974.

1975 was a do or die year. Sparky had to win it all that year, or probably lose his job. The Reds were a constant disappointment throughout those years, with all of the all stars and great regular season records. They "choked", seemingly every single year.

This is all part of the learning process for these guys, and the Reds have a great young nucleus intact, almost, but maybe not as good as those 70's teams.

Now, these guys may win this series, the NL championship, and go on to win the WS. Or, they may not. But I have faith that this is all building towards the future, and this team will continue to fill holes and get better.

This society has changed since the early 70's. it's all about "now", and "what have you done lately" and the latest and greatest sound bite. But real life isn't like that. The older posters will get this. This is a better team than 2010 and the disappointment of 2011. And next year these guys will have one more year of experience. The near future is very, very bright. And maybe the present is, too.
    Great post. I was around back then too. The Internet would have burned down those teams of the early 70's when they couldn't win it all. I know things have changed now because of the money. But you do still have to have patience in baseball. The Reds have signed the nucleus of this team to long term contracts. They will be together a few more seasons. If they go out today or the next round it's not the complete end. With a just few tweeks this team will be even better next season. This is an every year experience in which you build upon from year to year. Not just a one and done thing like we see in other sports. Enjoy it!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Maybe it's the wisdom of years, though every year that little voice reminds me that I am less wise than I thought I was...

I am far more attracted to the culture, the stories, the journey, the long slog through the season. I admire the fan loyalty of long suffering teams who never win, yet know everything about the teams and players and the history of their franchise. And they never give up hope. Believe it or not, there are even Cubs fans like this, who are not inebriated all the time, and I really admire their fandom.

It's why baseball is so attractive to me; it's every day, nitty gritty, just like life. The very best teams totally suck some days, just like life. No one goes undefeated in life. And neither does any baseball team, not even the Yankees.

Even if this Reds team does win the WS this year (and I will be thrilled if that happens), I will still be sad after the season, because that little part of the journey is over. That time can never be recaptured, never lived in the present again.

Just maybe, as woy is hinting at (I think), the joy is as much in experiencing the journey as it is relishing the end of the story.
    Gee, you had another great post. Baseball is like life. It's every day grind filled with ups and downs. You endure the downs and hope for better. You savor the ups and wish they could go on forever but know in your heart it won't. I'm like you, I will be sad when the season is over. Whether its today or not until November 1st. When it's over, it's another mark in time. Another year older for me that I will never get back and hope that I will be around for another years journey in 2013.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They will either win or they won't. Take it to the bank.

I'm one of those older posters who remembers the 1970's teams. I remember the unrealistic expectations placed on those teams. If you think "desperation" is bad now, wait until this team actually wins a World Series. They will never be allowed to lose another game as a franchise ever again.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You've made my point for me. Those posters are choking under pressure.

I realize most of them are still hoping the Reds will win. But when you post that it's basically a forgone conclusion that the Reds will lose a game that they are favoured to win, due to the disappointment of fans being worried of them losing, they are losing objectivity in the face of adversity. That's what choking is all about. Falling apart in the face of adversity. Letting their emotions run rampant with the objective truth.

I'm disappointed. I fear them losing. But I know they have a better chance of winning tomorrow because they are a better team than the Giants, are at home, and have an excellent pitcher going for them. I'm still objective in the face of adversity. Vegas will still have them as the favorite.
    Being a sports fan is all about emotions.

As for Las Vegas, do they consider intangibles in their lines? Things such as momentum, Hunter Pence's two pre-game speeches, the Reds facing real pressure for the first time all season?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Being a sports fan is all about emotions.

As for Las Vegas, do they consider intangibles in their lines? Things such as momentum, Hunter Pence's two pre-game speeches, the Reds facing real pressure for the first time all season?
    Of course they don't.

That's why they are profitable.

Turn Off Ads?