Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 760

Thread: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

  1. #286
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Nope. Infield fly to end the inning.
    Is that his first ever?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #287
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's a risk, but the idea was to hopefully close out the series. Chapman looked pretty sharp.
    But it wouldn't have closed out anything. Even if Chapman pitches the 10th, they're no better than they were middle of the 9th.

    There's obviously room for argument, but it's silly to assume that Chapman would have pitched just as well in the 10th and proclaim Dusty's strategy wrong for not sending him back out.

    He was pitching well, but I don't think he'd be the first pitcher in history to skip through one inning and run into trouble the next.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  4. #288
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Is that his first ever?
    It would be if it weren't actually a fly out to left, lol.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  5. #289
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,633

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    OK this game isn't over obviously, but worst case scenario...

    This doesn't look like our year. Our MVP getting injured and becoming a shell of himself. Our ace getting knocked out of 2 playoff series.

    I dont feel good right now.
    On the plus side, we'll never have to wonder how well we would have done in the NLCS with Cueto as opposed to without him.

    On the down side, the Cardinals might advance while we get eliminated.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  6. #290
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,540

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Scutaro lines out to right

  7. #291
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,058

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If Rolen lost his job in May, why didn't Frazier lose it back in September?

    Why would you bring back Chapman for a second inning reducing his availability(or at least effectiveness) if he's needed to pitch tonight? The strategy changes dramatically when you have no idea if him pitching a 10th inning will actually lead to a win.
    Well, here's why: Because one) yesterday should have been treated like game 7 of the woirld series. If they won, they would have had five games rest. Instead, they are out there with their hopes pinned on Mike Leake.

    Secondly, just because he pitched one inning, doesn't mean he's done. He only threw 15 pitches. Good lord, what would we have done had he given up a base hit to Sandoval...should we have yanked him because we might need him the next night? The outing before that he threw 28 pitches. He has thrown over 20 pitches lots of times.

    If you're telling me that this guy is only good for 16 pitches, then we're doomed.

    You at least bring him out to face Posey. He's their best hitter. Happens all the time in baseball.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  8. #292
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,827

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But it wouldn't have closed out anything. Even if Chapman pitches the 10th, they're no better than they were middle of the 9th.

    There's obviously room for argument, but it's silly to assume that Chapman would have pitched just as well in the 10th and proclaim Dusty's strategy wrong for not sending him back out.

    He was pitching well, but I don't think he'd be the first pitcher in history to skip through one inning and run into trouble the next.
    If Chapman strikes out 3 or strikes out 2 and has a flyout and no runs score in the 10th, how could you say that wouldn't be a better outcome? Of course it's a hypothetical, but it's an interesting one. I don't blame the loss on Broxton, but he didn't exactly look awesome.

  9. #293
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    On the plus side, we'll never have to wonder how well we would have done in the NLCS with Cueto as opposed to without him.

    On the down side, the Cardinals might advance while we get eliminated.
    If the Cardinals win the World Series again this year, I might lose faith in baseball.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  10. #294
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Leake just needs to get through the 3rd and he'll possibly settle in through the 5th.

  11. #295
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    I have zero faith in the Reds offense. They should have won last night. Give up 1 run and 1 hit in nine innings and lose. Ridiculous.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  12. #296
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,252

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Reds are the kings of "get-em-on-get-em-over-fly out to end inning"

  13. #297
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,540

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Sandoval grounds out to 1st.

  14. #298
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Votto looking more like Adam Dunn at first so far
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  15. #299
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,688

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I have zero faith in the Reds offense. They should have won last night. Give up 1 run and 1 hit in nine innings and lose. Ridiculous.
    You just gotta believe

  16. #300
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,161

    Re: NLDS Game 4 - Reds vs Giants 10/10/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Pick your poison: a Ford Mustang running at half speed or a golf-cart going pedal to the metal.
    Depends on how much gas the Mustang has in the tank. Again, I understand the argument.
    But it's silly sports fan logic to say "I propose one thing, the manager did the other. The team lost. Therefore the only logical conclusion is that I'm right and if they'd followed my approach they would have won."
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25