Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is not our year.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: This is not our year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    There are a lot of people on here Doug saying the series is over. Are you one of them, because your initial post seems to say you are?
    It appears that doug's beef is with me, for preaching patience. And giving examples why I do that. Today's world has no patience, but the world hasn't actually changed.

doug's a hard core fan, and bitterly disappointed right now. He'll be back to his usual self for tomorrow's game.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

All the Reds have to do is win Game 5 and they are in the NLCS. We have our best healthy starter going on the mound at home tomorrow. While a sweep would've been nice, 1 more win gets the Reds to the NLCS. It's not time to panic yet.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    It appears that doug's beef is with me, for preaching patience. And giving examples why I do that. Today's world has no patience, but the world hasn't actually changed..
    Another way of saying "accept failure because success is possibly around the corner."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Well, there are 30 MLB teams and 32 NFL teams, so if its equitable and normal, your team should be the World Champ once every 30 or 32 years.

Consider that. I am also a big UC football fan, and while they're 0-2 in BCS games over the last 6 years, it is the high water mark, ever, for UC football.

It's true, younger folks these days are more impatient, and we live in a world where everyone wants everything right now. I have no solution for that, other than the fact that I have learned over the years that the joy comes in the journey itself, not by the ending of the journey.
    I am a huge UC football fan too. Tony Pike gets to go out and break his arm. Another one.

I don't know how old you are AR, but I am just saying that if you are older than I am, it is a lot easier to say to appreciate the journey and not the ending of the journey because you have actually seen the journey end well before. I haven't. Heck, the one time a team I root for (Ohio State football) actually did end their journey well, I didn't even get to see it. The party I was at was hosted by someone who had parents who kicked everyone out during overtime. My feeling on how my teams do is generally whatever can go wrong, will. Always. It isn't a "I want everything right now", it is a "I have for my entire life never seen a team I root for win on the field and more often than not when they do have a team worth a crap, they have their best player ripped away from them like it was freaking black magic".

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Another way of saying "accept failure because success is possibly around the corner."
    “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

~ Thomas Edison
    sorry we're boring

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am a huge UC football fan too. Tony Pike gets to go out and break his arm. Another one.

I don't know how old you are AR, but I am just saying that if you are older than I am, it is a lot easier to say to appreciate the journey and not the ending of the journey because you have actually seen the journey end well before. I haven't. Heck, the one time a team I root for (Ohio State football) actually did end their journey well, I didn't even get to see it. The party I was at was hosted by someone who had parents who kicked everyone out during overtime. My feeling on how my teams do is generally whatever can go wrong, will. Always. It isn't a "I want everything right now", it is a "I have for my entire life never seen a team I root for win on the field and more often than not when they do have a team worth a crap, they have their best player ripped away from them like it was freaking black magic".
    Meanwhile other annoying rival teams get every lucky break work in their favor on annual basis, on things like phantom infield fly calls.

Just throwing this out there......but is it possible that this thread is premature? Maybe?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't think you have to be young or old to watch the past few days and have a sinking feeling going into tomorrow.

This isn't about having patience, it's about having eyesight. Things aren't looking so hot.

Always tomorrow, Doug will happily admit any misplaced feelings or thoughts if the Reds win.

But come on- this team has lost a couple ugly games and you can't blame someone for not feeling good about things right now.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Just throwing this out there......but is it possible that this thread is premature? Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds
    I understand this series isn't over. It can still go one of two ways.

We can still win this thing. We can be a storybook team, the team that won it all against the odds an beat adversity at every turn. But clearly, this is not our year.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    I have a good feeling about tomorrow. Every time this season when it looked like the shoe was going to drop, it didn't.

C'mon comrades, lets have a little optimism up in this piece!
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Tony Pike breaks his arm, and Brian Kelly discovers Zach Collaros. And the Cats that year don't really miss a beat (on offense) until Kelly leaves for greener pastures and they get drilled by a vastly more talented Florida team.

I'm nearly 52. On another thread tonight, I recounted the bitter disappointments the Reds experienced from 1970 through 1974, and I remember that vividly.

I understand your frustration, doug, because I feel it myself. Other than living in Chicago the year the Bears won the Super Bowl, I've lived here and rooted for local teams my entire life.

But I have seen the Reds win 3 World Series, the Bengals play in 2 Super Bowls, the Bearcats play in about 16 straight NCAA tourneys, go all the way down to the dirt, and rise to play in the sweet 16 last year.

I read here every day, and know the passion you have for the Reds and this great game. Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that these Reds are building a great team, filling in all the holes, a bit at a time. We are watching may prove to be 2 HOF players, Votto and Bruce, during the early years of their careers.

Yes, I'm frustrated tonight. But I'm more frustrated by the fact that I bought tickets to all 3 of these games, and have not been able to attend a single one, including tomorrows because the tv powers keep everyone in the dark about the starting times until the day before, and then they are scheduled at the strangest times. I have a good job, that has very inflexible hours; others schedule time with me weeks ahead of time, and get extremely pissed if I blow them off. But I'm not that worried about the Reds. I'd be much more worried if I were a Phillies fan, with that old, expensive team, for instance.
    sorry we're boring

It's not really clear to me that this is not the Reds year.

I'm not a fan of pitching a HR machine in a playoff game but it is what it is.

The Reds certainly can go all of the way.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's not really clear to me that this is not the Reds year.

I'm not a fan of pitching a HR machine in a playoff game but it is what it is.

The Reds certainly can go all of the way.
    If the Reds can get through tomorrow and regroup, there's no reason they can't go all the way. Even without Cueto.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"Building a great team" sounds fun until you realize this team went an entire year without 1 major injury in the rotation.

That's not a solid long-term plan for success.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What if I told you the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games.

Turn Off Ads?