Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is not our year.

Re: This is not our year.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What if I told you the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games.
    I don't like our odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can only say that I'm so glad that Quarter Horse Congress is going on right now and it's keeping me to busy to really watch the games... It's a little bit easier to cope with when you read a box score and recap as opposed to sitting and watching the whole game.

At the beginning of the season if you told me the Reds were 2-2 without Cueto in the NLDS with a home game tomorrow to be able to advance to the NLCS, I think I'd take it.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I understand this series isn't over. It can still go one of two ways.

But clearly this isn't "our year." 2010 chose us, and we said no thanks. 2012 did not, and we fought it. Our MVP first basemen went down, and we battled back against the odds to win 10 in a row. Even when he came back, in the playoffs he proved that for the time being, he was going to be a shell of his former self. Sean Casey, not the key of a championship offense. Then our ace went down 8 pitches into the first series. Despite that, we fought gain to go up 2 to none on the road, and in impressive fashion to boot. And while at first the news seemed good, that he would be back just in time for all the hometown fans see him lead the team to the Championship series, it would get worse when we all found out he would be gone until the World Series at least, leaving us to out last line of defense. Now instead of rolling to a sweep, we look at the precipice of being the worst chokers in the history of the NLDS.

We can still win this thing. We can be a storybook team, the team that won it all against the odds an beat adversity at every turn. But clearly, this is not our year.
    You whole post is a contradiction of itself and the thread title.

Do you have any idea how hard that is?

Yes, I'm frustrated tonight. But I'm more frustrated by the fact that I bought tickets to all 3 of these games, and have not been able to attend a single one, including tomorrows because the tv powers keep everyone in the dark about the starting times until the day before, and then they are scheduled at the strangest times. I have a good job, that has very inflexible hours; others schedule time with me weeks ahead of time, and get extremely pissed if I blow them off.
    I've been to the two games so far, but as Reds/Flyers Fan already mentioned on another thread, tomorrow's start time will be brutal. I'm already in the red on money and time with my work. I have no personal days left and only 2.5 days vacation left. Like to keep the vacation for the holidays. The company has been understanding but some of the work is piling up (and its getting me down).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I've been to the two games so far, but as Reds/Flyers Fan already mentioned on another thread, tomorrow's start time will be brutal. I'm already in the red on money and time with my work. I have no personal days left and only 2.5 days vacation left. Like to keep the vacation for the holidays. The company has been understanding but some of the work is piling up (and its getting me down).
    Whether you're there or not, I bet a win tomorrow will cheer you right up.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Whether you're there or not, I bet a win tomorrow will cheer you right up.
    I really want them to advance, but I'm really worried about certain players and the offense. It's really is a win-win situation for me either way - obviously if they advance I will be ecstatic, but it they don't then some of that the money for the post season tickets (I bought 2 sets) will go towards next years' season tickets.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

What if its not our year? Here's what we're looking at next year:

A team full of gamers that had a World Series dream ripped from it. That team?

Joey Votto
    Brandon Phillips
    Jay Bruce
    Todd Frazier
    Zach Cozart
    Johnny Cueto
    Mat Latos
    Homer Bailey
    Bronson Arroyo
    Ryan Hanigan
    Aroldis Chapman
    Sean Marshall
    Sam LeCure
    JJ Hoover
    And a cast of many more

With a GM that knows how to win and an owner that wants it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this team is going to be good for a long time. And isn't that what we want in Cincinnati, what we haven't had for years? World Series don't come often. Teams that have a shot at them should be our goal as fans. It's a six-month season, and we've been treated to six of the best months in over a decade. With a really good chance at six more next year and for years to come.

Folks, Reds baseball is back. Fourteen other teams are going to see CIN on the schedule and spend days figuring out how in the world they're going to beat those guys. How do you pitch to Joey Votto or get a single damn ball past the infield?

The biggest obstacle the team will face is its own fans. We've seen it in interviews, and we've seen it in the attendance numbers. It's time to embrace the winning and stop griping about how seasons end or what lineup gets run out each day. This very well may not be our playoffs, but this has been our year. It's been unbelievably fun.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I agree try again next year. Hopefully we are able to improve this team either with acquisition or experience. Good solid base here. No reason to step backwards, learn mature and improve.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Blutarsky's Rousing History Lesson - YouTube

I have a good feeling bout tomorrow. Latos hates pitching in day games because he hates to get up early, so he takes it out on the opposing hitters. I think his quote is something like, "I'm gonna make you pay for forcing me to get up early."

And if the Rds lose, it's been a gret season. I don't see how a 97 win division winning season isn't "our year."

The BRM was the greatest team I ever saw, and over ten years they only won the World Series twice and were in it four times. And they only had to win three playoff games each year to make it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

the bright side of losing tomorrow if we do.....at least we don't have to endure the humiliation of losing to the cardinals. If we must lose before getting to the WS I would rather it be to the giants than the cards.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Turn Off Ads?