Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is not our year.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

This is not our year.

I understand this series isn't over. It can still go one of two ways.

But clearly this isn't "our year." 2010 chose us, and we said no thanks. 2012 did not, and we fought it. Our MVP first basemen went down, and we battled back against the odds to win 10 in a row. Even when he came back, in the playoffs he proved that for the time being, he was going to be a shell of his former self. Sean Casey, not the key of a championship offense. Then our ace went down 8 pitches into the first series. Despite that, we fought gain to go up 2 to none on the road, and in impressive fashion to boot. And while at first the news seemed good, that he would be back just in time for all the hometown fans see him lead the team to the Championship series, it would get worse when we all found out he would be gone until the World Series at least, leaving us to out last line of defense. Now instead of rolling to a sweep, we look at the precipice of being the worst chokers in the history of the NLDS.

We can still win this thing. We can be a storybook team, the team that won it all against the odds an beat adversity at every turn. But clearly, this is not our year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is not our year.

The 2010 team was not equipped to make a playoff run. As exciting as it was to get back to the playoffs, no one seriously should have expected anything in the playoffs -- especially against the Phillies.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm as negative as anybody right now, but there is still tomorrow. Start this thread then.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Will it ever be.... I have to be honest.... it's easy to say that but was 2011 the Cardinals year? It didn't seem like it to me....

The door was wide open for us this year. It was just as much ours as anyone. Many called us the most complete team in baseball down to when the playoffs started. My feeling is if we can't win it this year I wonder if we ever will. The Giants are no better than us in any area. We just aren't playing like we should
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm as negative as anybody right now, but there is still tomorrow. Start this thread then.
    I wouldn't say ANYONE...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=681
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98876

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think my intuition is proving correct though. Not negative, just realistic.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm not negative, I'm just really depressed by reality.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm not negative, I'm just really depressed by reality.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Will it ever be....
    The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime.

Patience, grasshopper.
    sorry we're boring

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime.

Patience, grasshopper.
    Of course they have played in 1 in my lifetime and I was 6, so I really don't remember it. For people my age, or younger, patience only goes so far. We literally have nothing as Cincinnati sports fans to hang our hats on. We have had now 3 Reds playoff series that we can recall without a World Series and the Bengals. My generation of Cincinnati sports fans has nothing but heart break. Kenyon Martin. Carson Palmer. Johnny Cueto. It is always something.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course they have played in 1 in my lifetime and I was 6, so I really don't remember it. For people my age, or younger, patience only goes so far. We literally have nothing as Cincinnati sports fans to hang our hats on. We have had now 3 Reds playoff series that we can recall without a World Series and the Bengals. My generation of Cincinnati sports fans has nothing but heart break. Kenyon Martin. Carson Palmer. Johnny Cueto. It is always something.
    You can probably add Brian Kelly to that list as well. Just for funsies.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Are we adding dougdirt to the list of those throwing in the towel?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Are we adding dougdirt to the list of those throwing in the towel?
    You can do whatever you want. All I am saying is that telling someone my age who roots for Cincinnati teams to have patience doesn't really fly. My generation has absolutely nothing but terrible luck and bad teams for our entire lives. When we are good, our best guys magically get hurt. Every time.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Well, there are 30 MLB teams and 32 NFL teams, so if its equitable and normal, your team should be the World Champ once every 30 or 32 years.

Consider that. I am also a big UC football fan, and while they're 0-2 in BCS games over the last 6 years, it is the high water mark, ever, for UC football.

It's true, younger folks these days are more impatient, and we live in a world where everyone wants everything right now. I have no solution for that, other than the fact that I have learned over the years that the joy comes in the journey itself, not by the ending of the journey.
    sorry we're boring

You can do whatever you want. All I am saying is that telling someone my age who roots for Cincinnati teams to have patience doesn't really fly. My generation has absolutely nothing but terrible luck and bad teams for our entire lives. When we are good, our best guys magically get hurt. Every time.
    There are a lot of people on here Doug saying the series is over. Are you one of them, because your initial post seems to say you are?

Turn Off Ads?