Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "It's Just Sports"

"It's Just Sports"

Has got to be the worst phrase in the history of life. Does anybody ever say that after something good happens? No, it's always after something bad happens. To me, it's not just sports. I spend more time watching and thinking about sports than I do anything in my life. I am as emotionally invested in sports as I am anything other than maybe my family. Is that sad? Sure, maybe. Is it embarrassing? Maybe, but not to me. If you're one of those people who can casually watch sports and not really care, god bless you, but I am not one of those people. When you people are watching sitcoms or Jersey Shore or talking about stocks or finances, I'm watching ESPN and talking about sports. I'm looking up Drew Stubbs' and Chris Heisey's splits. If the Reds complete the choke job tomorrow, I'll be depressed about it for literally weeks. Sure enough, somebody will have the meatballs to tell me "it's just sports." I hate it. I don't tell you what to care about or emotionally invest it, you shouldn't tell me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "It's Just Sports"

Do we really need this many threads on this same topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Hey, if thats how you feel, thats how you feel. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hey, if thats how you feel, thats how you feel. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Yeah... "It's Just Sports".
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Yeah... "It's Just Sports".
    Oh you!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I live and die with the Reds as much as anyone and can remember when I was younger being mad as heck during those lean yrs in the early 80's. When Soto lost his no hitter to I believe the Pirates or Cardinals I cursed up a storm at 11 yrs old. The last few games I have been pretty down especially wasting Homer's awesome effort. I turned the TV on today to find the Reds down 5-2 with no chance of coming back due to offensive impotence. I left the house with my wife and went to see the ultrasound of our daughter, at that moment all of this upset and grief left me. I still love this team there are just some things that are a little more important to me at this time in my life.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    More we need more

I can say that winning a close series is more gratifying than a sweep

But it is just sports ... Like that's just yet mom

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

^ husbands, wives, children, families, jobs, careers, aging and dying parents- those are the things of real life. Unless we play sport for a living or in exchange for a degree, or get paid to coach or administrate it, sports is not real life. Sports is diversion. Diversion from real life. Passion? Yes, of course. But still diversion.
    sorry we're boring

Worth The Wait

I type a long response to this, but my fat fingers somehow hit a wrong key on my phone and deleted it, so will give th cliff notes version:

I am with 44 on this...completey.

Some people think life is too short to get wrapped up in the outcomes of games. I say life is too short NOT to.

Leisure is just as much a part of life as anything else. It's just being able to understand and have perspective on it. Being overly dependent on family, work, sports of anything is bad, IMO. Each part of life is important to me and I attempt to make them all work together.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Biggest game for the franchise that this forum is centralized on in around 20 years is tomorrow.

I think it's okay, just this once. Do you think it's okay?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Biggest game for the franchise that this forum is centralized on in around 20 years is tomorrow.

I think it's okay, just this once. Do you think it's okay?
    We need more!!

Catharsis behavior will be good for us all get it out of your system

Tomorrow send positive energy to the reds, tonight sweat lodge that negative crap

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Leisure is just as much a part of life as anything else. It's just being able to understand and have perspective on it. Being overly dependent on family, work, sports of anything is bad, IMO. Each part of life is important to me and I attempt to make them all work together.
    This is the perfect way to look at it.

There was I time in my life when Baseball was pretty much everything. I was crushed for a week in 1995, sulked like a teenager in 1999, walked on air for months in 1990.

This year, I only expect to be a little crestfallen for an hour or two, but I'll be at work, and I'm a business owner. That's the only part of my life that I can control most of the time. Everything else is pretty much left to chance.

I simply cannot afford to get preoccupied with things I can't control, and I know for a fact that I can't control the fortunes of my favorite ball club.

No matter what happens, I will always look back on this season and smile. Baseball should only bring you joy. The "pain" I feel is a joyful pain. Were it not for that "pain", there would be no joy in watching them succeed.

It's all about the ride.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    This is the perfect way to look at it.

There was I time in my life when Baseball was pretty much everything. I was crushed for a week in 1995, sulked like a teenager in 1999, walked on air for months in 1990.

This year, I only expect to be a little crestfallen for an hour or two, but I'll be at work, and I'm a business owner. That's the only part of my life that I can control most of the time. Everything else is pretty much left to chance.

I simply cannot afford to get preoccupied with things I can't control, and I know for a fact that I can't control the fortunes of my favorite ball club.

No matter what happens, I will always look back on this season and smile. Baseball should only bring you joy. The "pain" I feel is a joyful pain. Were it not for that "pain", there would be no joy in watching them succeed.

It's all about the ride.
    Interesting... Opposite for me. I am a family man and a business owner as well, but I am still as emotionally affected today I was as a kid or teenager. Nowadays I am able to harness my REACTIONS better.... I don't thrown things or openly mope for days, but my emotional state is the same as it was back then.

If anything the routine of "real life" makes the games even more important to me.

I do try as I get older to appreciate the journey and the experience regardless of outcome, but I'm lying through my teeth if I tell you ill feel the same way this weekend regardless of if the Reds win or lose tomorrow

If the reds lose will your wife stop having sex with you? Will your days be empty because you have no friends? Will your bank account drop and your mortgage percentage be tripled?

No... You'll find some other team to invest your emotion in and wring your hands when they underperform

Want to root for a winner?

Go to a Globetrotters game

Turn Off Ads?