Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "It's Just Sports"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: "It's Just Sports"

I would let my wife deny me for the next year for a win tomorrow.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It is just sports, but then it's more than that. Most people have a little more than a passing rooting interest in their sports teams because of the tie in that our teams have with a geographical area. Now I'm one of those people who has to have a favorite team to root for in every sport, but the the criteria is always whether or not my hometown has a team in that sport. If Cincinnati doesn't have a team in that sport, then I'm free to pick another team, but if there's a team here, I don't feel like I have any other choice in the matter since this is where I grew up and it will always be home.

This is why when one of my favorite teams from another city is doing well or poorly, the highs and the lows are never as high or low as they are with the Reds or the Bengals. During hockey season I'm rooting for the Blues, but I've never lived in St. Louis, just been a fan of the team since a former Cincinnati Stinger ended up playing there. When they play well, I'm happy, and when they lose I'm a little bummed, but it's not quite the same because they don't represent my home. When the Reds or Bengals do well, there's more to it than just a sports team winning. My home town is winning. You are out and about and people are wearing apparel and talking about the team and everyone in the city benefits from this. People who aren't hard core fans might share in the pride a bit, and those of us who are hard core fans will be on cloud 9. I've always had a strong sense of wanting to be proud in my home and rooting for athletes who represent my home is just one way that manifests itself. That's why every couple years I will glue myself to the tv watching sporting events I would never watch any other time of the year because there are athletes representing my country. When they win, we all win, whether or not we're fans of the games they play.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If the reds lose will your wife stop having sex with you? Will your days be empty because you have no friends? Will your bank account drop and your mortgage percentage be tripled?

No... You'll find some other team to invest your emotion in and wring your hands when they underperform

Want to root for a winner?

Go to a Globetrotters game
    The people that can shift from team to team aren't the ones wringing their hands. The ones doing that are the folks that know they can only invest in that one team and therefore understand the importance the success or failure of that one team holds over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    The people that can shift from team to team aren't the ones wringing their hands. The ones doing that are the folks that know they can only invest in that one team and therefore understand the importance the success or failure of that one team holds over them.
    Importance?

That's self inflicted, that's your own cross to carry I suppose

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

You know, I can see where WOY is coming from. When I was younger I went way higher when things were good and way lower when things were bad, but a lot changes with perspective. My wife will be home tomorrow night after two weeks out of the country. Whether or not the Reds win, I will be happy to see her and I'll be hoping she won't be too jet lagged to......never mind.

I still have to tend to my business or there won't be any money to keep the house and the Directv dish on the roof of the house that allows me to indulge my sports fandom. I can still write music, sing at church, roast myself by a good fire this winter, enjoy a good book, etc. Sports is simply a part of a pretty full life, but sometimes it can be a rather big part. At the end, though, it is simply a part of it and not the whole.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Importance?

That's self inflicted, that's your own cross to carry I suppose
    Absolutely; and our fandom probably reveals quite a bit about who we are as people I'd imagine. My wife always says I am very much all or nothing. I rarely do anything in moderation. Sometimes it manifests itself in not-so-good ways like when I devour the entire cake or pizza Sometimes, it manifests itself in good ways like how I run my business...I am thorough, organized, respectful and exceedingly obsessed with my reputation.

I don't like to "wing it" on weekends. Every Monday, I send my wife an email detailing an outline for our plans that coming weekend...I like to plan specific things and have defined actitives to look forward to....these often revolve around my sports teams.....I have Thunder season tickets and for most every game I like to try and make it an event...dinner and drinks first, then the game...or when I take my daughter make it a big deal, etc... This OCD type stuff is not my wife's style and she will often pump the brakes for me, but she more or less flows along with it.

So how I root for my teams and how I react to their results really is just an extension of who I am.

I always use this example to try and describe to my friends/family who either don't follow sports or just enjoy it without a rooting interest...

On Sunday mornings in the fall when I wake up, I feel like a kid on Christmas. I am giddy. Overflowing with excitment that I often have trouble sleeping the night before. I pumped about the Redskins game...getting both TV's set up, cooking, having people over, the whole nine yards. If I look outside and see my neighbors mowing the lawn or doing normal activites, I feel sorry for them I think, "this is just another day for them..." Meanwhile, I am just on cloud 9 anticipating the game and the day. The flip side is that there has to be something on the line...and if they lose, it's a bit deflating. It does not ruin my experience or make me kick the dog or refuse to tuck my daughter into bed that night....but wins make Monday mornings seem not as bad.

Win or lose I am fully functioning member of society...but inside, it does affect how I feel. Usually short lived and after losses I start looking forward to the next weekend by Tuesday or Wed, but it does have an affect.

As a kid, I associated holidays with many positive things...food, family, being off from school, presents, new stuff, having friends over, etc.... and meaningful Redskins games are near the top of that list. Nothing like a huge Redskins-Giants game in late December with the smells of my Mom's pasta sauce filling the house.

Over the last 20 years, the Redskins have had precious few Decembers with meaningful games....this has not ruined Christmas for me or made me ungrateful for all I have, but there is a void there and every year when they lose the game that clinches another lost December, I feel the sting a bit. Its funny, if you ask me to rattle off some of my favorite holiday memories, even the ones that don't directly involve the Redskins seem to have occured when they were good

So, it matters to me tomorrow. Every year since 1995 I have watched the LCS with a bit of envy, hoping someday the Reds could go back....I just want the chance... I remember the 1995 NLCS very clearly, and I remember how much I anticipated those games. I'd like to have that again...its been long enough. And if I don't get it, I'll be pretty disappointed. And then I'll start thinking about Redskins-Vikings this Sunday...and when the Redskins start to suck as always I start getting psyched for the Thunder....and the cycle rolls on....

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Absolutely; and our fandom probably reveals quite a bit about who we are as people I'd imagine. My wife always says I am very much all or nothing. I rarely do anything in moderation. Sometimes it manifests itself in not-so-good ways like when I devour the entire cake or pizza Sometimes, it manifests itself in good ways like how I run my business...I am thorough, organized, respectful and exceedingly obsessed with my reputation.

I don't like to "wing it" on weekends. Every Monday, I send my wife an email detailing an outline for our plans that coming weekend...I like to plan specific things and have defined actitives to look forward to....these often revolve around my sports teams.....I have Thunder season tickets and for most every game I like to try and make it an event...dinner and drinks first, then the game...or when I take my daughter make it a big deal, etc... This OCD type stuff is not my wife's style and she will often pump the brakes for me, but she more or less flows along with it.

So how I root for my teams and how I react to their results really is just an extension of who I am.

I always use this example to try and describe to my friends/family who either don't follow sports or just enjoy it without a rooting interest...

On Sunday mornings in the fall when I wake up, I feel like a kid on Christmas. I am giddy. Overflowing with excitment that I often have trouble sleeping the night before. I pumped about the Redskins game...getting both TV's set up, cooking, having people over, the whole nine yards. If I look outside and see my neighbors mowing the lawn or doing normal activites, I feel sorry for them I think, "this is just another day for them..." Meanwhile, I am just on cloud 9 anticipating the game and the day. The flip side is that there has to be something on the line...and if they lose, it's a bit deflating. It does not ruin my experience or make me kick the dog or refuse to tuck my daughter into bed that night....but wins make Monday mornings seem not as bad.

Win or lose I am fully functioning member of society...but inside, it does affect how I feel. Usually short lived and after losses I start looking forward to the next weekend by Tuesday or Wed, but it does have an affect.

As a kid, I associated holidays with many positive things...food, family, being off from school, presents, new stuff, having friends over, etc.... and meaningful Redskins games are near the top of that list. Nothing like a huge Redskins-Giants game in late December with the smells of my Mom's pasta sauce filling the house.

Over the last 20 years, the Redskins have had precious few Decembers with meaningful games....this has not ruined Christmas for me or made me ungrateful for all I have, but there is a void there and every year when they lose the game that clinches another lost December, I feel the sting a bit. Its funny, if you ask me to rattle off some of my favorite holiday memories, even the ones that don't directly involve the Redskins seem to have occured when they were good

So, it matters to me tomorrow. Every year since 1995 I have watched the LCS with a bit of envy, hoping someday the Reds could go back....I just want the chance... I remember the 1995 NLCS very clearly, and I remember how much I anticipated those games. I'd like to have that again...its been long enough. And if I don't get it, I'll be pretty disappointed. And then I'll start thinking about Redskins-Vikings this Sunday...and when the Redskins start to suck as always I start getting psyched for the Thunder....and the cycle rolls on....
    good post, well done.

I can feel your angst come through in it, but it also made me laugh, because I think back to when I was a kid- the Redskins were great every year it seemed! Landry and the Cowboya, vs Allen, Pardee, Gibbs and the Skins. I always preferred the Redskins because I abhorred the whole "America's team" thing.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Sorry, I don't love the Reds that much! If I'm gonna get screwed, I'd rather it be by......

Of course if I said the above to my wife she'd respond' Don't do me any favors!"

Everyone has an emotional attachment to the game (team). One can say that about any hobby or past-time we participate in. There is some level of passion involved.

There 's nothing like watching a game, and have an event or play occur, and that adrenalin burst forces you out of the chair, and to your feet, screaming "Yeah!". There's nothing wrong with getting pumped.

But to allow that emotional aspect to take one to such a level of extremes that I see many express on here - the weeks of depression, can't let it go, and the feeling that life just isn't worth living anymore - makes me feel sorry for such individuals.

It's obvious you can't help it, but Geez!

So when it's taken to that level then one needs to be reminded "It's Just Sports" simply because you're allowing that "hold" on you to drive you into an area that just ain't healthy IMO.

And I got really tired last night hearing some accuse this team of choking. Give me a break! This is a team, all year, that has relied on pitching and defense, and an offense, for the most part, that has a hard time putting runs on the board. We've all watched this all summer long. And when you lose your ace out of a short series - that hurts BIG TIME. These are two teams that are quite similar, and who got to the post-season relying on pitching to offset below average producing offenses. People talk about SF's "weak" offense, yet in the regular season it was, overall, better then ours. RPG? SF is 4.4, Cincy is 4.1

That's not making excuses for this team, even when we jumped to a 2-0 series lead; but only looking at the reality of the situation, and dispelling this crazy idea of choking. SF won two straight games (no great feat) just like we came out and won two straight.

We're playing the same type of game, getting the same type of managing, in this post-season that also won us the division and got us there. Win or lose I don't have too much to complain about in that aspect. After jumping out to a 2-0 series lead I wasn't hearing too many whining or complaining about Baker's managing. We lose two straight, and he's the worst. Fie. Question Baker's decisions in the last two games all you want... but it still comes down to those players on the field, and their performance. In game #3, was it Baker's fault for the errors, passed ball, etc, that basically gave the win to the Giants?
    Last edited by GAC; 10-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10 years ago I would have been miserable right now, taking today off, completely freaking out. Now I am saying to myself "It's just a game" or some derivative of that statement. Not sure if it is age, priorities, both or something else. But my ways of letting the Reds and Falcons ruin my non-sports life have changed. And think about how much heartache those two franchises must have caused me in my life.

I will be completely fired up if they win today and very upset if they lose, obviously. However I will recover in short order.

One other thing to think about if they do happen to lose later today. Do many teams go on dynasty type runs all of a sudden?

I see lots of 2nd place finishes and getting swept in the LDS before the Phillies broke through in '08. I have an LDS loss prior to the first WS win in the recent NYY run, which was followed by another LDS loss. We all know about the Red Sox pain in recent years and the Cards also didn't have a ton of success prior to getting that ring.

Next year the team comes back with Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Frazier, Bruce, Cueto, Latos, Homer, Arroyo, Leake, Chapman, Marshall, more experience and potentially a huge chip on their shoulder. Not a bad way to start a season.

But let's go out today and smack this team around the park a few times so we can talk about next year in a few weeks.

Solid post edabbs. While I don't want people to put too much into it...and I'm certainly not saying we're on our way to building another BRM.... those of us who are older remember the Reds in the beginning of the 70's, and their post-season "disappointments" wondering "Is this team ever going to get over that hump? I mean, we're getting to the post-season, even a WS, yet getting our butts beat."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Let me start off by saying that I'm a pretty good, competitive bowler. This might just skew my view a bit, but I think that by being a serious competitor in a sport (ok, you can argue if bowling is a sport but I've won about $2000 in tournament and league prize money this year) it gives you a better perspective on ANY type of competition than by just being a fan.

For instance, by bowling enough tournaments you realize how each and every shot counts. Just like in baseball, where every pitch, every swing, every decision has an effect. Your goal is to make enough good decisions and be the most fundamentally, mechanically sound in your play that you can be. You learn to admire the little things that you know if they were messed up, would lead to the opposition getting the advantage. And you learn, most importantly, never to get too high or too low based on the results; as long as you've done your best to put yourself in the best spot to win, that's all that matters.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: your ego, whether a player or a fan, can never be wrapped up in the results. Sometimes you can do everything right and you're still going to lose out. The enjoyment is in the game itself, watching top athletes perform at their very best, or even watching them fail. Just being alive and sharing that will fellow fanatics, though, that's what is ultimately most important.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If you live long enough, you eventually reach the point where any day is a good day if everyone you love who was still breathing yesterday is still breathing today. If you don't have to drive anyone to chemo or dialysis or the pain clinic. You still care, it still matters, and the winning is still wonderful, but if you continue to let losing make you feel miserable, you'd become a miserable person. Still, "it's just sports" is an annoying and worthless thing to say to someone who's in the midst of a sports misery moment.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"You play to win the game."

Call me a simpleton or a neanderthal, but I find no joy in losing. There are no moral victories in competitive efforts, and there is no point in competing if you're going to be satisfied with any result short of winning.

No offense, but all this "It's not the destination, it's the journey" and "I cherish the season, the playoffs are just random luck" sounds like the kind of garbage Cubs fans have fed themselves for a century.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    What
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

You have to have the bad to make the good matter. It's trite, but it's trite because it's true.

When Jay Bruce hit the walk off in 2010 ... I kind of wonder if I'll ever have another sports moment like that. Years and years of really pathetic teams that culminated in such an amazing moment that came out of nowhere. If they'd won the division in 2009 it wouldn't have been such an incredible thing.

If they lose today it doesn't change what a great season this was. Only one team gets to win every year, and I'd rather see them bow out after a division title than be a Cubs or Astros fan and have to watch my favorite team lose 100+.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?