Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Epic Collapse Not Dusty's Fault

Re: This Epic Collapse Not Dusty's Fault

my goodness.

For one thing...it ain't over. Both teams are in a do-or-die situation and we have the one guy we'd most want on the hill today. We are at home and have a strong bullpen that is rested and ready.

Regarding Dusty: Like all managers, he has made some moves that look brilliant and others that haven't. He was praised for LeCure then Latos but what that line drive off LeCure with the bases loaded finds a hole? Then not so brilliant. Bottom line is that luck and execution play a huge role.

With regard to the specific criticism about taking Bailey out. I say "huh?" That was absolutely the right move and something I predicted when we made our last out the previous inning. (I also predicted that Vogelsong would be lifted in the fifth for a pinch hitter). Bailey had maybe one more inning left and it didn't make sense to have him hit when we obviously needed to score to win the game and had our three best relievers ready to go.

My bottom line - let's not pin blame until there actually is an epic collapse. And even then, let's consider that any blame can be shared among a good many people who came up short in any number of big moments that could have ended this series in our favor.

2. Turn Off Ads?

One of the biggest myths in sports is that the team that wants it more wins.

Yep. In almost every case the team that scores the most runs wins the game.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

Not 100% sure where this info should go, but this thread seems as good as any. It's amazing the lack of coverage not having Cueto for 2 starts is getting. I've probably gone through 12-15 articles from various national, Ohio/Kentucky and Bay Area outlets, and there is ZERO mention of the Giants not having to face the Reds' ace twice (or even once!) in 5 games.

Imagine if the other teams lost their ace; how would they fare?

Yankees – CC
    Athletics – Parker
    Orioles – Chen
    Nats – Strasburg (whoops, they’re already doing that)
    Cards – Wainwright
    Giants – Cain

Instead, Hunter Pence's pregame speech mojo and Big Time Timmy Jim's relief appearances take the forefront. I still believe in Latos and the pen and the offense to take it to SF today, but I can't believe how much losing Johnny has been glossed over by everyone but Reds fans.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    The Giants wanted it more, plain & simple.
    I didn't know Skip Bayless posted on here...
    Last edited by The_Mudshark; 10-11-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Quotation Error
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

I did a google news search using the keyword "Cueto" and came up with more than 53,000 results, including nearly 4,000 clustered around articles about his being taken off the roster and Leake taking his place as the game four starter.

If the beef is that the media isn't using that as an excuse for us, well, you'll probably have to wait until we actually lose the series (which won't happen!)

I have a feeling that Latos will pitch well but Cain will pitch even better and we will lose by like 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I have a feeling that Latos will pitch well but Cain will pitch even better and we will lose by like 1-0.

I think that by the sixth inning Matt Cain is headed for the showers. Not necessarily because he didn't pitch well. More than likely because the Giants will be trailing and running out of at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I think that by the sixth inning Matt Cain is headed for the showers. Not necessarily because he didn't pitch well. More than likely because the Giants will be trailing and running out of at-bats.
    I agree. Similar to game 1.

It wasn't Dusty. It was the one-armed man!
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Did Dusty pass out when he was admitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Plenty of blame can be put right on Dustyball

1st he has penciled in a guy hitting .213 in every day so far
    2nd How do you pull a guy who has only given up 1 hit after 73 pitches
    3rd Yesterday Marshall should have went 2 innings also Chapman should have pitched a 2nd innings
    4th He should have pulled Leeke after the 2nd inning
    5th Why did he not use the normal 7th inning guy today?
    6th if you do not go with the normal guy have someone else warmed up and ready to go at any sign of failure from your reliever
    7th STOP use Cairo as a Pinch hitter when you have better options on the bench the man hit .187 this season

There is a reason why Dusty is 1 for the last 10 as a manager when his team is trying to close someone out in the playoffs
    I'll add one....For 165 games, this team would bunt a man into scoring postion, but in game 166, guess BP didn't see a need to advance Leake to 2nd, in the 4th. If Leake is on 2nd, he scores on Cozart's hit, and we have a whole new ballgame, a little MO, and possibly, Votto and Luddy get energized, and don't K.

IMO, if the Reds choke this one away, you can look at two kep plays in Tuesdays game that were the X factors.

1. BP going for third when he shouldn't have.If he stays at 2nd the Reds score another run that inning.

2. Rolen's error in the 10th gave the Giants a run

We lose 2-1 and should have won 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    IMO, if the Reds choke this one away, you can look at two kep plays in Tuesdays game that were the X factors.

1. BP going for third when he shouldn't have.If he stays at 2nd the Reds score another run that inning.

2. Rolen's error in the 10th gave the Giants a run

We lose 2-1 and should have won 2-1.

If number one happens there is no 10th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Plenty of blame can be put right on Dustyball

1st he has penciled in a guy hitting .213 in every day so far
    The scary part is Stubbs has even been WORSE than .213 lately. He has been hitting .179 since August 1st with 1 HR and 6 RBI's in almost 200 AB's! He has struck out 73 times during that time as well. Yet he still starts...

Turn Off Ads?