Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BELIEVE: Keys to Game 5

Re: BELIEVE: Keys to Game 5

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I would just say it might be optimistic to "expect" success against Cain. If he shuts them down for 7 innings, you really can't say "that should not have happened".
    I wouldn't say that. But I also refuse to be a shrinking violet about this game tomorrow. The Reds have hit Cain this year. Based on that, I think they can hit him again. Sue me for refusing to think this is over or that Latos needs to be perfect. I don't see it like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I wouldn't say that. But I also refuse to be a shrinking violet about this game tomorrow. The Reds have hit Cain this year. Based on that, I think they can hit him again. Sue me for refusing to think this is over or that Latos needs to be perfect. I don't see it like that.
    I think they can do it again too. But thinking and expecting are two different horses.

Don't know where you get the strawmen that I said you think it is over or Latos has to be perfect.

The only point I was making is that there is a decent possibility that Cain throws well tomorrow at which point Latos needs to hang with him.

I don't know why the inflammatory "sue me" language needs to come out, I'm just saying Cain is really good and I don't know how prudent it is to expect it (Reds sucess) to continue. I say this with all due respect and hope you can return the favor.

You started with the strawmen in this deal. Should have just stayed off the board. One glance tonight showed its toxicity.

I expect them to have some success against Cain because they have so far this year doesn't equal me coming on the board to complain if they don't, which is where you went with it.

In any event, carry on. Reds suck. All is loss. Whatever.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

The Giants are 1-5 all-time in winner-take-all postseason games. Their lone win was in Game 5 of the 2002 NLDS against the Braves.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    You started with the strawmen in this deal. Should have just stayed off the board. One glance tonight showed its toxicity.

I expect them to have some success against Cain because they have so far this year doesn't equal me coming on the board to complain if they don't, which is where you went with it.

In any event, carry on. Reds suck. All is loss. Whatever.
    You misinterpreted what I said I see.

I said if Cain pitches well you really can't say it was unexpected.

It was intended as a universal "you", not "you will come back on the boards to complain about it". I can see where you viewed it as a direct "you", but I don't see where you got the "come back and complain" part. Nowhere in the vicinity of my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    The Giants are 1-5 all-time in winner-take-all postseason games. Their lone win was in Game 5 of the 2002 NLDS against the Braves.
    And I think we all know who their manager was.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

I'm trying to warp my mind into the idea that they have a chance. I drove up from Virgina and am camped out in a cheap hotel tonight. This team has broke me in more ways than financially. I purchased all the playoff tickets and had I waited I could have purchased tickets for next to nothing. The hell with it, win the damn game tomorrow.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I would just say it might be optimistic to "expect" success against Cain. If he shuts them down for 7 innings, you really can't say "that should not have happened".
    Sorry for thinking that was directed at me, but it came when you quoted me, and said something I never said.

In any event, I refuse to believe that the one way to win tomorrow is for Latos to have to outduel Cain. I think it is just as likely the Reds plate 3 or 4 and stake Latos to a lead by the 6th.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    And I think we all know who their manager was.
    I did not, until you reminded me.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

There is so much math and history on our side. I believe! I feel its my fault. I hardly missed an inning all season and I have been on a west coast business trip since I left town after game two. I have not watched either loss as I was in meetings in the Bay Area and a flight to Seattle. Now I am in Bend Oregon and will watch every pitch of game 5. I can fix this by simply watching. Believe.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

They haven't lost three straight at home all year. Latos is on full rest. The top three bullpen arms are rested. No National League team has blown a 2-0 lead in a five game series. All good enough reasons they should win.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    They haven't lost three straight at home all year. Latos is on full rest. The top three bullpen arms are rested. No National League team has blown a 2-0 lead in a five game series. All good enough reasons they should win.
    Exactly. Only 1 team has blown three in a row at home after winning two in a row on the road in the DS. Just 1. 1 out of nearly 50. This will not be #2 to do it.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't know if they are going to win or lose tomorrow but I will be dammed if I am going to go down sobbing like a 9 year old little girl because we might lose tomorrow !!!

Stand up, grow a pair and act like a man for Christsakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You tell'em George! Even if we lose tomorrow hold on to your dignity as fans.

Some of you would have been climbing up onto roof tops over those 7 games, and one heck of a nail-biting series, with the Red Sox back in '75.

We won the first two in SF (surprised the heck out of me), and I'm sure a majority of SF fans were saying "It's over!". But now they've come back and won the first two here in Cincy to EVEN the series and take it to a final, deciding game 5. It's what baseball, and the post-season, is all about. I'm pumped win or lose.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-11-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    I'm trying to warp my mind into the idea that they have a chance. I drove up from Virgina and am camped out in a cheap hotel tonight. This team has broke me in more ways than financially. I purchased all the playoff tickets and had I waited I could have purchased tickets for next to nothing. The hell with it, win the damn game tomorrow.
    That's awesome you've made it so far, kudos to you!

The key is not getting behind early. If the Reds get behind by two or more runs this game is over. Their bats will tighten up and the outcome won't be good. It's all on Latos early in the game. He can't let the Giants get off to quick start.

The Reds haven't had a decisive game in the playoffs since 1975. This will be the 4th one I have witnessed. They had two of them in 1972. Game five of the 72 playoffs when JB hit a game tying HR in the 9th and won it on a wild pitch later in the inning. Then game 7 of the 72 playoffs in which they lost 3-2 mainly because of a great catch by Joe Rudi.
    They lost game 5 of 73 Playoffs to the Mets. Lost decisively too, IIRC. Something like 7-2 and were never in the game. Game 7 of the 75 World Series and all that surrounded it has been talked about many times before on RZ. So I won't rehash that.
    You also can throw in the 1999 play in game too. We all know what happened in that one. Anyway just enjoy the game and hope for the best.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?