Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Crying to C. Trent and then going on Twitter to rip fans does not seem like the behavior of a team ready to play a decisive Game 5.
    I don't think you really grasp how these media sessions work if you think Bruce went crying to C. Trent.

He was asked a question and he answered truthfully. What would you rather he do? If people are defensive about booing, then they shouldn't do it. Otherwise, they should be receptive to being called on it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Daugherty weighs in on this, makes some good points, with a shot directed towards C. Trent:

(I love it when sports hacks squabble with each other)

“I think our fans have a pretty interesting way of showing their support. I understand being into the game and wanting the best for us, but sometimes it’s hard to tell whether you’re at home or on the road,” Reds outfielder Jay Bruce said.

“Our fans are what make us go. It’s why baseball and sports in general are so great — the fans drive the teams. We want our fans on our side. We need our fans on our side.”

This is a city that has been taught hubris time and again."

---------

Well, OK. Bruce has a point. Homer Bailey made it not long ago. Fans here are passionate to the point of dread. The local sports motto could be, “Expect the worst and you’ll never be disappointed.” But a day when you strand eight runners in the first four innings and your pitchers allow three homers, maybe isn’t the day to cite the fans as a reason for your performance. Or lack thereof.

Oh, and hubris means “excessive pride or self confidence.” That wouldnt exactly describe us around here, ever. Ten-dollar words are best left in the hands of those who know what they mean.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daughert...ing-line-1011/
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't think you really grasp how these media sessions work if you think Bruce went crying to C. Trent.

He was asked a question and he answered truthfully. What would you rather he do? If people are defensive about booing, then they shouldn't do it. Otherwise, they should be receptive to being called on it.
    You are very impressed with yourself, aren't you.

I do actually "grasp" how these media sessions work. My job often requires me to give statements to the media. And Bruce could have answered the question in a lot of ways that would not have drawn attention to himself, instead he chose to whine.

I do actually "grasp" how these media sessions work. My job often requires me to give statements to the media. And Bruce could have answered the question in a lot of ways that would not have drawn attention to himself, instead he chose to whine.
    That's great that you deal with the media. But in my experience very rarely do players solicit these subjects on a whim. More times than not, they're nudged in that direction or asked leading questions in hopes of obtaining certain answers.

Regardless, wasn't aware that answering a question truthfully is construed as whining. I learned something new today. Like I said, if people want to boo, they shouldn't get bent out of shape when they're called on it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's great that you deal with the media. But in my experience very rarely do players solicit these subjects on a whim. More times than not, they're nudged in that direction or asked leading questions in hopes of obtaining certain answers.

Regardless, wasn't aware that answering a question truthfully is construed as whining. I learned something new today. Like I said, if people want to boo, they shouldn't get bent out of shape when they're called on it.
    Which is great except for the fact that the people getting bent out of shape are largely the ones that don't boo.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

This is kind of ridiculous. How do we know who specifically boo'd?

And isn't rather presumptuous to say that people that disagree with Bruce (or C. Trent) are the boo'ers? Hilarious.

This whole thing seems like a deflection or a red herring to distract everyone from the epic choke that's in progress. C. Trent is a players guy. I'm sure he's buds with some of the guys on the team. So, he goes with the "Cincinnati fans are very bad and the players are on an island" meme. Yawn.

Whether Jay went to C. Trent or vice versa, the whole thing just seems kind of lame and ill timed.

Yep, fans boo. The outrageous outrage of it all. lol.

And Paul Daugherty finally says something I can agree with.

Maybe it's not just the fans:

"I've got to be honest with you, this team looks like a bunch of whipped dogs right now, that is going through the motions"--Marty Brennaman

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lances...#ixzz290HQpjMB
    sorry we're boring

I agree. And maybe this has something to do with it:

"I've got to be honest with you, this team looks like a bunch of whipped dogs right now, that is going through the motions"--Marty Brennaman

Get over it Jay and play some good baseball, stop acting like a child who gets a soda pop after a "tough game." The fans have been behind him through thick and thin here, stupid comment, I get that he's frustrated, but turning on the fans a la Lance McAlister, and coming off as a ******, isn't helping anything. Play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    This is kind of ridiculous. How do we know who specifically boo'd?

And isn't rather presumptuous to say that people that disagree with Bruce (or C. Trent) are the boo'ers? Hilarious.

This whole thing seems like a deflection or a red herring to distract everyone from the epic choke that's in progress. C. Trent is a players guy. I'm sure he's buds with some of the guys on the team. So, he goes with the "Cincinnati fans are very bad and the players are on an island" meme. Yawn.

Whether Jay went to C. Trent or vice versa, the whole thing just seems kind of lame and ill timed.

Yep, fans boo. The outrageous outrage of it all. lol.

And Paul Daugherty finally says something I can agree with.
    Yep, couldn't agree more with this as well, well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

I see it was 40 years ago today the Reds won game 5 of the 1972 playoffs. George Foster who scored the winning run in that game is throwing out the first pitch. Let's hope some of that magic from that day 40 years ago rubs off on this team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I see it was 40 years ago today the Reds won game 5 of the 1972 playoffs. George Foster who scored the winning run in that game is throwing out the first pitch. Let's hope some of that magic from that day 40 years ago rubs off on this team.
    I will never forget that day, my mom was so nervous she couldn't watch the game on TV.

Bench hit the HR to tie, to RF, which was so rare for him (what??? The Reds were behind in that series?), and Hal McRae was at the plate when Foster scored that winning run on a wild pitch from Moose.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Those Reds didn't give up, and I don't think this group does, either.
    sorry we're boring

I will never forget that day, my mom was so nervous she couldn't watch the game on TV.

Bench hit the HR to tie, to RF, which was so rare for him (what??? The Reds were behind in that series?), and Hal McRae was at the plate when Foster scored that winning run on a wild pitch from Moose.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Those Reds didn't give up, and I don't think this group does, either.
    Same here. Can't believe its been 40 years. One of the few times I saw my dad get really excited about a sports event. When Bench hit that HR he jumped straight out of chair, gave a big clap and just started laughing with joy. Great memories! I think we will have a good one or two after today also.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

All bodies have a heart that sets the pulse for all the connected parts

Thump
    Thump
    Thump

Between this and what's going on with KC Chiefs fans right now, I'm wondering when athletes developed such thin skins.

I can see getting upset when someone heckles you, especially if they make it too personal. But really, does getting booed hurt your feelings so bad that you have to cry about it?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Between this and what's going on with KC Chiefs fans right now, I'm wondering when athletes developed such thin skins.

I can see getting upset when someone heckles you, especially if they make it too personal. But really, does getting booed hurt your feelings so bad that you have to cry about it?
    Today's athletes are a coddled group, from their early teens on, and few of them have known anything but success.

Fans know how to act, how to cheer, how to support a team. There are a few bad apples everywhere, and due to the increase in video everywhere, they stick out more now.

Whenever I hear a player, owner or team official attempt to instruct a fanbase how to act, I usually think the problem is not the fans, but the team.

...But we are different here in the Queen City...

In 1964, Reds fans were so supportive of their streaking hot team, that when they returned after a season ending road trip in which they won 8 straight games to take a one game lead in the NL with 5 games left, all of 10,000 folks showed up for the first game (which they lost to the Pirates), 8000 showed up for the 2nd game (loss) and 7000 showed up for the 3rd game (win). 25000 souls for an end of the year 1st place team, in a 3 game series. Is it any wonder that after Powell Crosley died and the Dodgers and Giants left NYC, that new ownership looked for a bit to possibly move to Gotham?

Club officials estimated that more people showed up at the airport to greet the team upon returning from that road trip at midnight, than actually went to the game the next day.

We have history.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?