Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

And where did the "Cardinals fan would never do this?" thing come from?

I've heard them boo their own team countless times.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That article is a pile of garbage. I just lost all the respect I once had for Rosecrans.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Have to agree. Haven't booed my own team since I was just a kid.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Who cares really? Would I boo them? No, I'd be silent. But if someone pays over 100 bucks for a ticket, and wants to boo, more power to them. They have that right. The guys didn't perform today. No, Leake didn't want to suck. And Drew didn't want to suck. But they DO suck. Not bad guys. They just suck. I feel the booing is more directed at the team running them out there than anything personal. Cincy fans have always been this way. Ask Johnny Bench. Ask Griffey Jr. Ask Adam Dunn. Ask Larkin, even.

It's not ideal. But when you're making millions of dollars due to the fans interest, I think you should be able to handle a little bit of booing.

It's a brutal article and taking Bruce's quote out of context made it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Do you think Bruce is the guy referenced here?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

Home field has meant nothing, to the extent that one Reds player griped privately after the game about the fans’ behavior at GABP Wednesday. He didn’t like their early exit, or the boos they rained on reliever Jose Arredondo. He felt the fans didn’t do enough to help the home team.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Do you think Bruce is the guy referenced here?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds
    Didn't do enough to help the home team? I mean, what exactly are we supposed to do? And don't they know the Giants fans booed at the end of game 2, and also left early? The Giants seem to be handling it ok emotionally.

It's a good thing CTrent isn't a reporter in NYC/Philly/Boston. What happened today was tame by comparison.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 10-11-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The guy who sat next to me was absolutely atrocious. Right from the start of the game every time someone made an out it was, "Way to pop it up, Brandon. You suck", and other gems. I think Stubbs must have left the park tonight thinking his name was Jesus Christ. Sitting on my other side was a father with a small child and here was this guy dropping F bombs every time someone struck out and basically berating every player. It's one thing to show your displeasure at poor play, but this guy really crossed the line.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    The fans were terrible today. No energy the whole game, pin drop quiet outside of boos towards the end, and then a good portion could be seen bailing for the exits in the seventh inning. The revelry of those first two games hit an embarassing thud this afternoon.
    What do you expect? It was 8-3 in the seventh inning in a game the Reds were sleep-walking through. Couple that with what is totally obvious to anyone with eyes that Joey Votto has morphed into Sean Casey and presents zero threat to do anything other than slap harmless singles and, well ...

I've been at both games and, frankly, the Tuesday game was the loudest I've ever heard GABP, from the first through the 10th inning. The Reds responded with a hit - one hit - after the first inning against Ryan Voglesong and a collection of forgettable relievers. Tonight, when Zito walked the run in, it was equally as loud. The Reds responded to that with the Leake/Arredondo clown show.

And what that has happened in the past 20 years in this city makes you think that fans aren't well within their rights to be pessimistic?

In the past two decades:

- Bengals playoff disappointments
    - Steelers injuring Palmer on first playoff play
    - Ken Griffey Jr. disappointment
    - Kenyon Martin broken leg/subsequent disappointment
    - 2010 Reds playoff debacle
    - 1999 one-game playoff no-show
    - awful Bengals/Reds teams for the last 15 years

Only to watch our loathed rivals do nothing but win championship after championship: Cardinals, Steelers, etc.

Honestly, what do you expect Bruce? Are all of those things the 2012 Reds fault? No, but this city has been beat to a pulp the last 20 years and it'll take more than beating the Cubs, Astros and Brewers for a Central Division championship to shake it. Just win and change the culture ... otherwise, fair or not, you can expect even more jaded fans next year.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 10-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think booing your own team is asinine. Why would you boo your own team? To motivate them? Here's a clue: booing your team does not motivate them. Booing kills their morale. Go to the game to enjoy yourself and have a good time while supporting your team. Don't boo, it makes you look like a clown.
    Didn't you hear? Because people pay money for a ticket they should have the right to express themselves.

I was discussing this in the Hamilton thread the other day. I honestly don't get why people think that paying money to a baseball game gives them the obligation to boo their favorite team's players just because they don't like something. Seems childish to me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    That article is a pile of garbage. I just lost all the respect I once had for Rosecrans.
    I unfortunately degree. Really swung for the sensationalist fences on this one.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I like C. Trent Rosecrans, but this article is pure garbage.
    I agree with a lot of it. I am not bailing on the team. I will be rooting for them with all I have. But I would be flat out lying to you if I sat here and typed out that I don't feel that I am watching another Cincinnati fluke issue that is robbing my team. And a whole lot of people feel the same way given the reactions I have seen on facebook from my friends who are also roughly my age.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

We loved C Trent when he was beat writer for the Post, but what can we expect when he now works for the same outfit as Gregg Doyel?

His job now, when writing, is different- it's to stir up as much crap as he can.
    sorry we're boring

I think the tenor of the Enquirer, Daugherty really, after game 3 showed how fragile the psyche of this town is. "Here comes big bad GAME 4, a game no one wants to play! Bwaahahahaha!" The dread is real, it comes with sports, but as a fan, and as a player during the game especially, you can't let that emotion run wild.

Oldrighthander, I'm sure you were thinking "I don't want to punch this guy. I want to punch this guy. Don't make me punch this guy."

I've had the pleasure of sitting close enough to the basketball court to cheer on my favorite team and know for a fact that the support you show your team can make all the difference. Why is this even debatable? I don't feel I should have to explain this phenomenon known as "home field advantage". Anyway, for those who like to boo, please follow me here: 1. You love your team 2. Your team wants your encouragement 3. Booing will have a negative effect on the outcome of the game. 4. DON'T BOO!

Turn Off Ads?