Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 286 to 293 of 293

Thread: Offseason Priorities

  1. #286
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,513

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I disagree. It's simply because Dusty is manager that will we not see Bruce in CF.

    Bruce is more qualified to play CF than Valdez or even probably Heisey. Bruce played most of his minor league career in CF with rarely a defensive miscue.
    I just don't understand how a conclusion can be arrived at where a manager who has played the game decided that a former CF is a worse option than a .400 OPS middle infielder to play CF unless the former CF can't play there any more. It's a conspiracy theory that I can't even begin to understand; even if Dusty was so set into Bruce being RF now, why would he deliberately hurt the team to keep him in RF instead of moving him to CF if Bruce is a better option than Valdez or even Heisey?

    Bruce is older, bigger, and slower than he was when he was a teenager. It isn't a bad thing- Bruce is a great player. However, it means that he might not be in center because he can't play there, rather than that he isn't in center because Dusty has it out for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #287
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,210

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    I just don't get the thinking that it's not even worth trying to put Bruce in center.

    Seems like a perfectly safe thing to do in Spring Training.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  4. #288
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I just don't get the thinking that it's not even worth trying to put Bruce in center.

    Seems like a perfectly safe thing to do in Spring Training.
    I just don't get the assumption that the Reds are keeping a player from increasing his worth

    If Bruce could play CF a higher level it would increase his worth to the team, I'm certain even the morons who run the team can figure that out.

    Maybe he can't? And THEY already know that!

  5. #289
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,056

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    How much do you think INF Mike Aviles would have been worth trading for?

    Cleveland got him along with Yan Gomes for pitcher Esmil Rogers from Toronto.

  6. #290
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,513

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I just don't get the thinking that it's not even worth trying to put Bruce in center.

    Seems like a perfectly safe thing to do in Spring Training.
    While they are at it they can also try Phillips at SS, Arredondo at SS, and Votto at C.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  7. #291
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,210

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    While they are at it they can also try Phillips at SS, Arredondo at SS, and Votto at C.


    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  8. #292
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,713

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I just don't get the thinking that it's not even worth trying to put Bruce in center.

    Seems like a perfectly safe thing to do in Spring Training.
    They watch Bruce in the OF every single day for many years.

    They don`t need spring training to tell them what he can (or can`t) do.

  9. #293
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Offseason Priorities

    ......and the CFer and SS always bat 1st and 2nd, and speed is the most important thing near the top of the lineup even if it strikes out 200 times and hits .210, atleast according to the brilliant Dusty Baker.

    Yeah, Dusty does everything just perfectly.

    And Bruce is washed up as a CFer. The brilliant Dusty Baker knows this.

    Sarcasm, obviously.

    Bruce played the majority of his minor league time in CF and came up as a CFer. He never did anything in the minors or majors that showed he was finished as a CFer. He's a gold glove caliber RFer and it's not like he's 35 years old, broken down, and washed up as a fielder. Yet, trading for an old Dejesus, or Choo and putting them in CF makes sense to some. I'd rather have Bruce in CF over many of the other choices.

    But if we had a guy who currently is playing CF on this team, like Span or Fowler, they yes the choice is easy........keep Bruce in RF.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 11-04-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25