Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Priorities

Re: Offseason Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    He was referring to Ethier.

I think everyone likes Wright in a vacuum.
    My bad. Apologies for the misread RMR.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I posted this in another thread, but is Melky Cabrera the answer for a short term CF option?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but is Melky Cabrera the answer for a short term CF option?
    I doubt BCast would want to take the publicity hit by signing Melky.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The Reds and Ryan Ludwick continue to talk after the outfielder declined his half of a mutual option, reports John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer (on Twitter). GM Walt Jocketty said the club is unlikely to offer more than two years, however.
    Jocketty also told Fay that the Reds have interest in retaining free agents Ryan Madson, Jonathan Broxton, and Dioner Navarro (Twitter link). "I don't know if we'll sign them all," added Jocketty.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#sFQPs5PoLjsOyofj.99
    Just saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Just saw this.
    Two years for Ludwick and an incentive, guilt driven deal with Madson sounds okay to me.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If they sign Madson, I say we start the Chapman conversion yesterday. If Madson isn't ready, we've still got Marshall (and Masset coming back too).

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If they sign Madson, I say we start the Chapman conversion yesterday. If Madson isn't ready, we've still got Marshall (and Masset coming back too).
    Rather have Hoover closing than Massett. Nick's fine in the 7th though.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Rather have Hoover closing than Massett. Nick's fine in the 7th though.
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting Masset closing. Just pointing out that he's coming back too, thus filling another hole in the pen if Chapman leaves it. I'd lean towards Marshall rather than Hoover.

I wouldn't count on Masset being part of the plans at all. It would just be a bonus if he were.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'd like to see some upper minors pitcher acquisitions. I'm not talking about Grade A studs, but a couple of arms to add depth. Guys like Adam Wilk (Tigers), Brandon Workman (Red Sox) and J.R. Graham (Braves) would be nice pickups.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Trade for Shin Soo Choo and sign him to a 3-4 year extension.

Choo goes to RF and Jay Bruce would be moved to CF for the season or until
    Billy Hamilton is ready. Once BHam is ready Bruce goes back to right and Choo goes to LF.

Todd Frazier get the everday play at 3rd.

Assuming Ryan Ludwick won't sign a 1 year deal, I'd give Xavier Paul a chance to win the left field job out spring training. It was a small sample size, but I really like what he did with the Reds in 2012. Heisey would be the fourth outfielder and would get bumped to a bench role after Hamilton's promotion. Heisey could very well be traded in my mind.

I'm all for trying to keep Ryan Madsen and I'm all for keeping Chapman in the pen as the dominant closer of the future for this team. With Chapman I just see him converting to a starting pitcher. Spending the time trying to make him that, and losing what he would add to the bullpen in that time would be a mistake in my opinion. I really wouldn't mess to much with the pen beyond trying to retain Madsen.

I wouldn't mess with the starting rotation. In 2012 they gave us the best season we've seen from a SR in a long, long time. They are still developing and trending upward. The only way I see a change in the rotation is if one of them are involved in a trade of some sort.

Leadoff
    1. Choo RF (Until Hamilton's ready)
    2. BP 2nd
    3. Votto 1st
    4. Bruce CF
    5. Frazier 3rd
    6. Paul LF
    7. Cozart SS
    8. Hany

If/When Hamilton is ready
    1. Hamilton CF
    2. Choo LF
    3. BP 2nd
    4. Votto 1st
    5. Bruce LF
    6. Frazier 3rd
    7. Cozart SS
    8. Hanny C

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Trade for Shin Soo Choo and sign him to a 3-4 year extension.

Choo goes to RF and Jay Bruce would be moved to CF for the season or until
    Billy Hamilton is ready. Once BHam is ready Bruce goes back to right and Choo goes to LF.

Todd Frazier get the everday play at 3rd.

Assuming Ryan Ludwick won't sign a 1 year deal, I'd give Xavier Paul a chance to win the left field job out spring training. It was a small sample size, but I really like what he did with the Reds in 2012. Heisey would be the fourth outfielder and would get bumped to a bench role after Hamilton's promotion. Heisey could very well be traded in my mind.

I'm all for trying to keep Ryan Madsen and I'm all for keeping Chapman in the pen as the dominant closer of the future for this team. With Chapman I just see him converting to a starting pitcher. Spending the time trying to make him that, and losing what he would add to the bullpen in that time would be a mistake in my opinion. I really wouldn't mess to much with the pen beyond trying to retain Madsen.

I wouldn't mess with the starting rotation. In 2012 they gave us the best season we've seen from a SR in a long, long time. They are still developing and trending upward. The only way I see a change in the rotation is if one of them are involved in a trade of some sort.

Leadoff
    1. Choo RF (Until Hamilton's ready)
    2. BP 2nd
    3. Votto 1st
    4. Bruce CF
    5. Frazier 3rd
    6. Paul LF
    7. Cozart SS
    8. Hany

If/When Hamilton is ready
    1. Hamilton CF
    2. Choo LF
    3. BP 2nd
    4. Votto 1st
    5. Bruce LF
    6. Frazier 3rd
    7. Cozart SS
    8. Hanny C
    To beat the same drum yet again...

If the Reds saw Bruce as still being a CF, then why was a horrible middle infielder playing CF in 2012 instead of Bruce when substitutions were needed? Why did the Reds insist on seeing Stubbs in CF instead of Bruce, when Paul was hitting well?

Bruce will play CF on the same day that Phillips plays SS for the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

If the Reds saw Bruce as still being a CF, then why was a horrible middle infielder playing CF in 2012 instead of Bruce when substitutions were needed? Why did the Reds insist on seeing Stubbs in CF instead of Bruce, when Paul was hitting well?

Also that day the reds will restructure WMPs contract

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post

I disagree. It's simply because Dusty is manager that will we not see Bruce in CF.

Bruce is more qualified to play CF than Valdez or even probably Heisey. Bruce played most of his minor league career in CF with rarely a defensive miscue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I disagree. It's simply because Dusty is manager that will we not see Bruce in CF.

Bruce is more qualified to play CF than Valdez or even probably Heisey. Bruce played most of his minor league career in CF with rarely a defensive miscue.
    71% of those ML starts in CF came before Bruce was 21 years old.

But please continue to say it's all Dusty's doing, it's a funny meme.

Turn Off Ads?