Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Priorities

Re: Offseason Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Priority number one, IMO, should be something I don't think Walt will able able to accomplish: extending Bailey. Not to say there aren't many other things to be done. There are, but this stands out as number 1 for the strength of the team over the next several years. Priority number two is getting Chapman into the rotation. Bailey, Chapman, Cueto, and Latos as a group can keep this club at or close to the top irrespective of a lot of the other personnel.
    I think they will keep Chapman as the closer. Too dominant there and too many uncertanties if you try to make him a starter. I believe Walt adds a top 3 starter over the offseason. I believe there's a good chance it's Garza if he's healthy.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-12-2012 at 12:07 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    OMG it's always drama. Relax, we don't need another "get out the ruler" debates.

The Reds season just ended, I honestly care more about that then getting into whether I am perceived as having acted appropriately in this thread.
    If you don't care, then why entere a thread entitled "offseason priorities". It should have been obvious what it was about, if its not your cup of tee, finding or starting another thread to spread your thoughts would have been more productive than tearing down people who are looking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Reds don't know if they have a player for that spot, there is always a chance that Hamilton will fall flat on his face in AAA, anyway the Reds need a guy for 2013 and it certainly is not Stubbs.

They should kick the tires on Fowler, he doesn't have a long term deal.
    Rockies are beyond desperate for starting pitching. Maybe a deal that includes Mike Leake wouldn't get hung up on immediately.

And I have a feeling the lines of communication for the Reds and Rays are open. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a deal is made that we'll hear was first discussed last offseason or during July.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 10-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    If you don't care, then why entere a thread entitled "offseason priorities". It should have been obvious what it was about, if its not your cup of tee, finding or starting another thread to spread your thoughts would have been more productive than tearing down people who are looking forward.
    Because I was pissed off during the late innings of the Reds game while this thread had started to become active.

I stopped shortly thereafter, but thanks for dredging this up after it was already a sunk issue.

I am sorry to have failed you!

Teach Mike Leake to play CF & Teach Drew Stubbs to throw a changeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Rockies are beyond desperate for starting pitching. Maybe a deal that includes Mike Leake wouldn't get hung up on immediately.

And I have a feeling the lines of communication for the Reds and Rays are open. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a deal is made that we'll hear was first discussed last offseason or during July.
    And Mike Leake would solve the Rockies acute pitching problems? HAHA! Leake in Coors would be a very, very, very bad problem.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    And Mike Leake would solve the Rockies acute pitching problems? HAHA! Leake in Coors would be a very, very, very bad problem.
    The Rockies pitching staff is likely going to be a very, very, very bad problem in Coors Field forever no matter who they have taking the bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I didn't say I wanted young. I said I have a feeling the Reds want young.

As for CF, Billy Hamilton is obviously going to get a shot in CF. So why waste resources on getting a long term CF when the team is clearly going to put Billy there by 2014, at the absolute latest? Trading valuable resources that could be used elsewhere for a position we already have a player for? Why would we ever want that?
    Get a shot is not the same as mark that position filled. We don't know a middle infielder like Billy can play CF; we're hoping he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Look at their hapless rotation. Mike Leake wouldn't be a No. 5 there. Also, there's precedent for Reds starter castoffs to go to the NL West and pitch better.

Plus, he might hit about .330 in Coors with six or seven bombs.

Stat geek...and proud
    I think a bench with Frazier and Paul as its first 2 options is a strength. But counting on Xavier Pauls to be significant contributors is a mistake too many 00's Reds teams made.
    You mean Jon Nunnelly wasn't the answer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Stat geek...and proud
    Also don't be surprised if the Reds pick up Chris Young and cash from the DBacks to play CF next year. They're looking to dump him and I just get the feeling he's a Jocketty player. "Adequate" hitter, good in CF.

Something under the radar I'd want to happen but won't is to pay a good bit of money to get Toronto miracle worker Dwayne Murphy to be our hitting coach. Won't happen and I don't even know if it'd be possible. But the guy seems like the Dave Duncan of hitting coaches.

If Dusty doesn't return or takes another role besides manager, I'd probably make Bryan Price manager if he wants it to make absolutely certain he sticks around here.
    If we get Murphy can we get the "white shirt guy" too?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    If we get Murphy can we get the "white shirt guy" too?

For those that want to settle for a stopgap type in CF, what about making an offer to Nate McClouth?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Denard. Span. Please. When Hamilton comes up, we've got the top two lineup spots covered in front of Votto and the rest. Span solves the CF problem until Hamilton is ready, and can cover left when Hamilton takes over every day in center (which I don't expect to be next year).
    Completely agree with this and I expect it too happen. I believe we were close on a deal at the deadline and it just didn't happen.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    For those that want to settle for a stopgap type in CF, what about making an offer to Nate McClouth?
    No, no, for the love of baseball no!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

What about revisiting Shin Soo Choo?

What would the Tribe want?

Turn Off Ads?