Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Priorities

Re: Offseason Priorities

Choo would be unbelievable, but I'd take DeJesus without thinking twice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    For those that want to settle for a stopgap type in CF, what about making an offer to Nate McClouth?
    He could be a cheap platoon option for Stubbs. I think combined they could make a league average CF for next season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I think this merits posting again as there seems to be a lot of irrational thought RE: Mike Leake. So here goes:

This hating on Leake has gotten almost absurd. Think about this in context of his being a fifth starter. He has a career 4 FIP, essentially. This year his ERA+ was 93.

Now here is the worst starter's ERA+ for each of the other 15 NL teams:

ARI: 92
    ATL: 92
    CHI: 62
    COL: 76
    HOU: 76
    LAD: 76
    MIA: 88
    MIL: 72
    NYM: 79
    PHI: 87
    PIT: 74
    SDP: 77
    SFG: 67
    STL: 97
    WSH: 98

So there are literally 10-13 other teams in the National League that would love nothing more than to have Mike Leake on their team as he would improve all but two rotations in the league.

If Mike Leake is the guy that people are complaining about, Reds fans have gotten spoiled and too quickly forgotten who the Reds' 'ace' was during the previous 10 years. Leake would have been the Reds' best pitcher in some of those years, or very close to it. He's essentially a league average pitcher pitching as the fifth starter and that's not good enough? Yikes.
    And for good measure, I expanded that stat to the AL where we find:

68, 77, 68, 61, 92, 71, 73, 55, 80, 103, 84, 95, 89, 74

So Leake was better than 25 of the other 29 fifth starters in the league this year, and some by a great deal. And the thing is, his peripherals were better than his actual ERA, which this is based on, so one should expect at least marginal improvement next season (his HR/FB rate will almost assuredly improve).

But a guy who is league average at the fifth spot, who can also field his position, hit and run the bases isn't good enough? I really can't fathom what it is exactly people expect.

If the Reds want to move Chapman to the rotation and trade Bailey or Leake, I'm OK with that. In fact, that's been my preference. But I don't *want* to trade either guy. If either is traded, I actually want to trade Bailey because I think he has a higher trade value at the moment and I don't think he's that much better than Leake (unless he replicates the last few games going forward, but I am skeptical of that).

Either way, if Mike Leake is the worst thing people have to worry about in the rotation, then I surmise it's not prudent to want to make changes to the rotation unless it's because Chapman is getting moved there.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If Walt was able to flip Leake in a deal for a legitimate OF upgrade he would be my hero.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    But a guy who is league average at the fifth spot, who can also field his position, hit and run the bases isn't good enough? I really can't fathom what it is exactly people expect.
    A better pitcher.

He's one arm injury away from being the #4 starter, where I'm sure his numbers compare less favorably.

You can never have too much starting pitching. Never settle for mediocrity anywhere in the rotation when you can have better.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A better pitcher.

He's one arm injury away from being the #4 starter, where I'm sure his numbers compare less favorably.

You can never have too much starting pitching. Never settle for mediocrity anywhere in the rotation when you can have better.
    His park-adjusted ERA is just a hair under league average, which includes all starters. So being a 4th starter is still pretty suitable to his talents.

The Reds don't need another starting pitcher. They had the best ERA in baseball this year. You're trying to insinuate there's a problem where none exists. That's not "settling" but rather recognition of a club strength. Naturally any team that has to use its 5th starter in the playoffs might have a drop-off. But clubs shouldn't invest extra resources into a 5th starter they don't have on that premise alone.

In this case, it just so happens the Reds do have a natural upgrade (Chapman) if they elect to pursue it. And I hope they do because Chapman could be a game-changer. That said, if they elect to keep Chapman in the pen, there's no reason to invest resources through trade or free agency to a position where there are no actual weaknesses. And no, I do not consider a league-average pitcher as a 5th starter to be a weakness.
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-14-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

A better pitcher.

I don't think we have the luxury as a mid market team to sign another pitcher and stash away Mike Leake as insurance. We have one of the best staffs in baseball. Just be glad Luke Hudson isn't being rushed out there every five days.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

More thoughts, and some the same:

This all assumes Dusty is back as manager.

1. Do they replace the hitting coach?

2. Do they sell high on some guys who had good seasons, such as Bailey? Chapman? 2 guys who often have arm fatigue but survived this season intact.

3. How long will it take Hamilton to get to the major leagues or will he? Will he succeed or flop at the major league level?

4. Short term fix or long term fix in CF? And how do you acquire someone? What are the options?

5. Are you okay with Frazier at 3B? Or do you want an upgrade?

6. Are you okay with Ludwick in LF? Or do you want an upgrade?

7. Chapman, rotation or Closer? Cingrani......is he a starter option or bullpen option?

Lots of questions. I hope they don't stand pat this offseason. Already have a postseason team. Let's improve it to make it a leading contender.

My answers:
    1. Yes. Replace Jacoby. It certainly can't hurt after watching this team struggle in the postseason.
    2. I could see Walt trying to upgrade the starting rotation, even with how good it was. I was really impressed with Bailey the last month or so. And he stayed healthy all season, but will he in the future? He has been fragile in the past. Sell high on him now? He's up for a contract soon. Can they afford him? I'm 50/50 on trading him. They could consider Chapman for the rotation. And Hoover spent more than 50% of his time in the Braves minors as a starter, while never having an e.r.a. over 3.50. And Cingrani and Corcino are on the cusp. And Chapman has the often arm fatigue thingie. Trade him before he become damaged goods? Hmmmm.

3. I'm really excited about Billy Hamilton, but I'm afraid I'm expecting too much of him as a major leaguer.

4. I guess they have to do a short term fix in CF/leadoff if they believe Hamilton is going to deliver in the future. Cheap trade for Dejesus might work. Or a trade for Soo if you think Bruce can handle CF, which most people don't.

5. Frazier's late season slump concerns me. Has the scouting report finally caught up to him or just late season fatigue/slump? I might consider upgrading 3B if the right offer came along. With the usual injuries during the season, it's not like Frazier wouldn't still get to play alot at some position if he remained a utility/backup type player.

6. I'd like them to pursue a better option than Ludwick for awhile and if it doesn't happen, try and re-sign him. I'm concerned about getting Votto more pitches to hit and he needs someone better than Ludwick hitting behind him.

7. I see alot of options and directions they could go with the starting rotation. But only to improve it. Bailey coming due for a big contract. Latos due down the road. Can they afford all these guys? Sell high on Bailey? Sell high on Chapman? Hoover, Cingrani, Corcino in the wings? My answer. I'd be patient and stand pat unless a true upgrade fell into their laps via trade offer. Another season should only see improvement from Bailey, Chapman, etc. And if someone in the rotation goes down for awhile next season, you get to audition potential replacements then. And Cingrani and Corcino will certainly be in triple A next year showing you what they got. Alot of answers should start to come forth in 2013. Hopefully guys continue to stay healthy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

A better pitcher.

Presumably you could say the same thing about every team.

The fact of the matter is, he's quite a bit better than most teams #5 starter, and likely has much higher updide than the majority of them too..

By batting average, best CFers in mlb in 2012:

1. McCutchen - Pitt - .327 - 31 HR's, 96 rbi, 20 SB's, .400 OBP
    2. Trout - LAA - .326 - 30 HR's, 83 rbi, 49 SB's, .399 OBP
    3. Hunter - LAA - .313 - 16 HR, 92 rbi, 9 SB's, .365 OBP
    4. Jay - STL - .305 - 4 HR, 40 rbi, 19 SB, .373 OBP
    5. Rios - CWS - .304 - 25 HR, 91 rbi, 23 SB, .334 OBP
    6. Jackson - DET - .300 - 16 HR, 66 rbi, 12 SB, .377 OBP
    7. Fowler - COL - .300 - 13 HR, 53 rbi, 12 SB, .389 OBP
    8. Cespedes - OAK - .292 - 23 HR, 82 rbi, 16 SB, .356 OBP
    9. Brantley - CLE - .288 - 6 HR, 60 rbi, 12 SB, .348 OBP
    10. Pagan - SFG - .288 - 8 HR, 56 rbi, 29 SB, .338
    12. Span - MIN - .283 - 4 HR, 41 rbi, 17 SB, .342
    14. Bourn - ATL - .274 - 9 HR, 57 rbi, 42 SB, .348
    20. Stubbs - CIN - .277 OBP

I'd rather have Fowler than Span.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.js...osition='8'

I have no idea of how he plays CF but what are people's thoughts on trading for Parra from Arizona? He's young, supposedly available, plays a great LF and has the top of the order OBP chops we need.

Any merit to the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I have no idea of how he plays CF but what are people's thoughts on trading for Parra from Arizona? He's young, supposedly available, plays a great LF and has the top of the order OBP chops we need.

Any merit to the idea?
    He's one of my top targets. The D-Backs are supposedly interested in Gregorious as a SS of the future candidate. Maybe something like Did and Arredondo for Parra could work. Arredodno would give them an arm for the middle of the pen and would balance the money a bit. I'd prefer not to deal Didi, but I think he's the team's top trade possibility. Parra would add a lefty bat who can contribute against RHP and could platoon with Stubbs or Heisey with the other dealt away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed but how soon could Billy Hamilton be prepared to take over as the full time CF? Could he be the guy by the All Star break? I think the easiest way and probably quickest way to help this offense is find guys capable of getting on base in front of Votto. And if Hamilton can be that guy sooner rather than later we can use resources like Gregorious to help fill other areas of weakness.

I think we need to upgrade ahead of Votto and right behind him. Not sure the latter is possible though financially.

That's why I'd throw the farm at Miami for Stanton. Cheap and scary enough to warrant giving Votto pitches to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been discussed but how soon could Billy Hamilton be prepared to take over as the full time CF? Could he be the guy by the All Star break? I think the easiest way and probably quickest way to help this offense is find guys capable of getting on base in front of Votto. And if Hamilton can be that guy sooner rather than later we can use resources like Gregorious to help fill other areas of weakness.
    I think that is one of the key questions of the off-season and performance in the AFL may dictate which way the Reds go. I'd love to see Hamilton on opening day with one of Heisey or Stubbs as a fall back and the other shipped off for something else. If that was possible, I'd keep Didi. After CF, SS and 3B look like the 2 biggest questions to me. A Lefty hitting IF who can handle SS and provide an alternative to Frazier and especially Cozart would be very valuable. IMO, SS would be more productive on offense and defense with a tandem of Didi and Cozart than it would with either player by himself. It would also be an option (not a great one) if Frazier's late season troubles carry over into 2013.

If Hamilton looks like he's farther away than June, I think the team needs to make a move of some type. The Stubbs/Heisey combo needs to be upgraded. IMO, that involves a LH bat who can play CF added to the mix with one of those players moved out to make room
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?