View Poll Results: Who wins Game 5?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reds

28 71.79%
  • Giants

11 28.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the Reds see game 1 of the NLCS?

Re: Do the Reds see game 1 of the NLCS?

As much as I would love to see the Reds win, I am going to go with the Giants winning.

Momentum is on the Giants' side. And if Latos isn't physically feeling 100%, and he gives up 2-3 runs, I'm just not confident in this offense to score enough runs to pull it out. I hope I am wrong. Believe me, around 4:00 this afternoon, this is one time I would love for someone to quote me and say, "I told you so!"
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

In a one game and go home situation I want Mat Latos on the mound. Guy has been nails the second half of the season and hates the Giants. I don't care who is pitching for SF I just know what if I could scrip things Mat Latos would be on the mound. He could get blown up or could pitch a no hitter. This is what I want.

There is no one i would rather have on the mound than Latos.

Plus 40 years ago today the Reds won the NL Pennant in Game 5 against the Pirates on JB's HR so this day is the day for Reds greatness!!

Reds will win!!!

Book it Dano!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In a one game and go home situation I want Mat Latos on the mound. Guy has been nails the second half of the season and hates the Giants. I don't care who is pitching for SF I just know what if I could scrip things Mat Latos would be on the mound. He could get blown up or could pitch a no hitter. This is what I want.
    My thoughts exactly. Honestly, I would rather have Latos here than a healthy Cueto. Latos absolutely destroys the Giants. He also seems to pitch even better the more "fired" up he gets (sorry for the footballesque definition but it makes sense in my head).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    As much as I would love to see the Reds win, I am going to go with the Giants winning.

Momentum is on the Giants' side. And if Latos isn't physically feeling 100%, and he gives up 2-3 runs, I'm just not confident in this offense to score enough runs to pull it out. I hope I am wrong. Believe me, around 4:00 this afternoon, this is one time I would love for someone to quote me and say, "I told you so!"
    Poll results will be public tomorrow so everyone can say they told whomever so.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 10-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

We must think alike because i think the same way. Im a big believer in momentum. I think Latos still pitches a hell of a game but we just wont muster enough offense. I would like to know what Dusty said to these guys before games 1 and 2. Or better yet what did Jacoby say to these guys. They scored 15 runs in 2 games and now were back to the same ol same ol. Anyway that same speech needs to be said today. I hope at 4 I am told "i told you so" too. Hopefully GABP is rockin. The Reds need some home field support to pull this out. Theres just so much to say but i hope we get it done. T-Minus 1 hour.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    We must think alike because i think the same way. Im a big believer in momentum. I think Latos still pitches a hell of a game but we just wont muster enough offense. I would like to know what Dusty said to these guys before games 1 and 2. Or better yet what did Jacoby say to these guys. They scored 15 runs in 2 games and now were back to the same ol same ol. Anyway that same speech needs to be said today. I hope at 4 I am told "i told you so" too. Hopefully GABP is rockin. The Reds need some home field support to pull this out. Theres just so much to say but i hope we get it done. T-Minus 1 hour.
    I think momentum and speeches are all overrated in baseball. The Reds had every ounce of momentum coming back to Cincinnati up 2-0, but lost two straight. If you need a speech to get ready for the playoffs, you shouldn't be on the field. The team who makes the least mistakes and gets a little bit of luck today will win.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

In Game 5 of the 1940 World Series, the Detroit Tigers manhandled the Reds for an 8-0 victory. The Tigers Bobo Newsom threw a shutout at the Reds, and that loss put them in a 3-2 series hole.

Imagine how Reds fans 72 years ago must have felt after all that.

Bucky Walters took the mound in Game 6, and he scattered 5 hits in a 4-0 shutout victory. In Game 7, the Reds again faced Newsom and trailed 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th inning. But Frank McCormick led off the 7th with a double, Jimmy Ripple doubled McCormick in to tie the game, and after a sac bunt by Jimmie Wilson and an intentional walk issued to Ernie Lombardi, Billy Myers hits a fly ball to deep center to score Ripple and put the Reds on top 2-1. Derringer gives up a lone single in the 8th, then retires the Tigers in order in the 9th to win the game, 2-1.

Mat Latos is going to pitch a helluva game today, and the Reds offense will somehow find a way to scratch and claw a few runs of support.

This team will be going to the NLCS later this afternoon.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I think momentum and speeches are all overrated in baseball. The Reds had every ounce of momentum coming back to Cincinnati up 2-0, but lost two straight. If you need a speech to get ready for the playoffs, you shouldn't be on the field. The team who makes the least mistakes and gets a little bit of luck today will win.
    Maybe your right but IMO you can almost snese momentum. I think what hurt us was the day off. If we could have played game 3 the day after game 2 we would have won IMO. That day off gave the Giants a chance to clear their heads so to speak.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?