Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: NLDS Game 5 Reds vs Giants 10/11/12

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: NLDS Game 5 Reds vs Giants 10/11/12

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What about the players?
    I'd ship off Stubbs and Leake on the first bus out of town as soon as this game is over.

Then I'd work like hell to figure out why Joey Votto has turned into wet noodle bat at the plate and get that fixed for 2013.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Dude. It was a close play. If the ump calls a ball, I bet you check the smug at the door.
    I bet I go "dude...that was way to close" and nervously appreciate the call.

But whatever. I don't know baseball because some guy who put me on ignore thinks umpires somehow see a TBS graphic showing a pitch .25 off the plate and call it accordingly.

Dusty gambled and lost; it happens. I personally think it was a terrible decision (and the pitch was a ball) but I'm not sitting in the manager's seat. Time to forget about it and go get enough runs to win this thing, because that is the only way we'll be watching Reds baseball next week.

Being a Cincinnati sports fan really should entitle you to some discount on therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    What about the players?
    I expect we will see some changes in that department next year as well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I didn't say I agreed with that call. But Hanigan also knew what was coming and his job is to swing and protect those runners at any cost.

If it had worked you'd all be hailing Baker. But I never said Baker shouldn't be faulted there. Just the majority should be on the hitter not executing.
    In GABP, down by 3 runs, it is a terrible move. If you are playing in San Fran, maybe it makes more sense. Here, where everyone but Joey Votto can hit a home run on any given pitch? It is a terrible move.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Ask the Boston Red Sox how smart it is to get carried away with accountability on account of putting too much emphasis on playoffs...
    IT. IS. IMPOSSIBLE. TO. PUT. TOO. MUCH. EMPHASIS. ON. THE. PLAYOFFS.

They play the games to determine Championships. There is, quite literally, no point in even lacing up your spikes if you aren't in it to win a title.

If you want moral victories or games where everyone gets a trophy, go join a CYO league.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    It is of the all time DUMBEST calls EVER. Its a 3 run game Dusty absolute best case scenario and Hanigan rips a double somewhere you have a runner on 2nd and a 6-5 game. It doesn't make sense in that case to run there. None, zero, zilch, nada anyone who defends that big bonehead decisions needs their heads examined. When they ran on the fouled off pitch my exact reaction was "wtf are you trying to do? Run us out of what maybe the LAST opportunity to come back?" Needless to say... I hate being proved right.

Absolutely stupidity on display with that one.
    IT WAS TO STAY OUT OF A GB DP. Odds of him grounding out are probably higher than striking out.

You don't even understand why the decision was made. It did not work out, but it's at least defensible. (I personally would not have made the call).

Hard for you to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd ship off Stubbs and Leake on the first bus out of town as soon as this game is over.

Then I'd work like hell to figure out why Joey Votto has turned into wet noodle bat at the plate and get that fixed for 2013.
    They clearly brought Votto back too early. He's hampered physically. Hopefully it's temporary.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I'm putting Chapman in for the 8th and try to get 2 innings from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Being a Cincinnati sports fan really should entitle you to some discount on therapy.
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    They clearly brought Votto back too early. He's hampered physically. Hopefully it's temporary.
    National league pitchers are going to pay next year when Votto is back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why the hell was Bruce running? He was already in scoring position!
    Isn't Hanigan a low strikeout, good contact guy?

Isn't he slow?

Maybe Dusty wanted to avoid the double play and played the odds that Hanigan would make contact.

Not a terrible play, just didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Can't fire the players, as the old saying goes.
    Sure you can. Stubbs isn't doing well, trade him, send him down or release him. You don't like Leake, same thing. Rolen hasn't performed, don't offer him a contract. You don't like Bruce, trade him. Latos didn't perform today, I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have him. Ludwick had some poor ABs, don't pick up his option. See, it's easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And what happens if Hanigan swings to protect the runners, hits a soft line drive to the second baseman, and it turns into a triple play?
    And what happens if he hits a GB to any place in the INF? A DP and you're out of the inning.

And IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt every time he hopped.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?