Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phillips' Boner (Fred Merkle)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Phillips' Boner (Fred Merkle)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Since we're talking about that inning, that Rolen K was all on the ump. Still has me upset. Very low and inside.
    Give me robo-ump.
    Can't wait for robo ump

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I've always thought that was a stupid "rule" myself. As if it's OK to make the second out at 3rd base or it's better to make the last out at 2nd base. That's just silliness.
    Outs are bad no matter what base and which out it is. Just because old timey broadcasters and players have been saying it for 50 years doesn't mean it makes sense.

And for what it's worth, Fred Merkle got hosed. It's pretty hard to touch second base when people are running all over the field. (In those days the fans had to exit the Polo Grounds in center field and actually used the playing surface to get there)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Outs are bad no matter what base and which out it is. Just because old timey broadcasters and players have been saying it for 50 years doesn't mean it makes sense.

And for what it's worth, Fred Merkle got hosed. It's pretty hard to touch second base when people are running all over the field. (In those days the fans had to exit the Polo Grounds in center field and actually used the playing surface to get there)
    Sayings also have merit and make sense. I do not agree with them all, but this one makes sense to me. Even the stats/pcts show it amkes sense when presented as a whole.

If it took Fred Merkle longer to run 90 feet than it does for fans to run from the stands to a spot between 1st and 2nd, the Fred needs a better wheelchair! Fred was young (19?) and did not know any better. He also figured with the chaos you mentioned that it would not matter. However, he did not get hosed and was not stopped by the fans. It makes for a good discussion though and was never brought to light as to what really happened for many years.

Turn Off Ads?