Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Dusty receive an extension?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

34 30.91%
  • Nay

55 50.00%
  • Maybe

21 19.09%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty Baker Receive an Extension?

Re: Should Dusty Baker Receive an Extension?

Should Sparky have been fired after 1970 or 1972 or 1973?

Playoffs are a crap shoot. Baker handled a worst case scenario as best as anyone could. Plus the fact that they were one swing of the bat from winning the series in the final game after being down 6-0 says volumes about Dusty as a manager.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

As long as he's not replaced by Bobby Valentine or TLR, I'm fine with someone new.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Your post implied that the Reds not getting into to the playoffs in 15 years was because of the managers they had. So, I would say it does matter if you're using that as a talking point.
    After a 15-year drought, I don't think it's very prudent to dismiss a guy's role in getting the franchise to the playoffs twice in three years. It is hard to say how responsible Dusty is. But I know the grass isn't always greener and I'd rather not find out the hard way he was more responsible for the success than Redszone wants to admit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The guy has been to the playoffs twice in three years and Reds fans want him canned?

Surely you guys remember it was 15 years prior to the previous playoff appearance...
    Come on Brutus. Do you actually think that any manager in baseball past or present could have made the Reds contenders until this ownership group came in and cleaned up the mess that was Cincinnati Reds baseball? We are no longer trotting out Jimmy Haynes or Eric Milton as front of the rotation starters. Dusty is the only manager of the Reds this century who has been given the tools to compete by the front office and GM. You know that.

If you think he is the person to lead this talented group to the promised land over the next couple seasons, fine. However, don't think we're stupid enough to fall for this argument.

Over a grinding season he's a fine manager. He's absolutely worthless in thinking outside the box or actually managing a game. I would rather he move on.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    After a 15-year drought, I don't think it's very prudent to dismiss a guy's role in getting the franchise to the playoffs twice in three years. It is hard to say how responsible Dusty is. But I know the grass isn't always greener and I'd rather not find out the hard way he was more responsible for the success than Redszone wants to admit.
    Talent wins over 162 games. Dusty has had many seasons where his teams have stunk and not made the playoffs. It's all about talent until you get too the playoffs. I'd prefer a manager that is creative and/or logical.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I went with maybe. The Reds have done better with the players Walt chooses. I'd like to see if they'd be able to advance farther in the playoffs with a manager Walt chooses.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    /r/reds

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think the fact that he wasn't given an extension by now speaks volumes.

I would part ways with him, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The Reds have done better with the players Walt chooses. I'd like to see if they'd be able to advance farther in the playoffs with a manager Walt chooses.
    Also a valid point. He isn't Walt's choice. Yes, he extended him after 2010, but honestly, how could you not?

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    Come on Brutus. Do you actually think that any manager in baseball past or present could have made the Reds contenders until this ownership group came in and cleaned up the mess that was Cincinnati Reds baseball? .
    I can honestly say that none of Boone, Miley and Narron, would have lead this team to 97 wins and a division championship. None of them could have kept the team going after losing Joey Votto for pretty much the second half of the season. Sure this team had talent, but Baker clearly got the best out of it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Indifferent. Won't be upset if he is gone and won't be upset if he returns. I think the FO has a better sense of his worth than any of us do, that's for sure.

Dusty does a great job as a clubhouse manager or an off-the-field manager in terms of handling personalities, motivating players and the like. Dusty is smart enough to allow Bryan Price to handle the pitching staff. But when it comes down to lineup construction and in-game management he is one of the worst in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    Come on Brutus. Do you actually think that any manager in baseball past or present could have made the Reds contenders until this ownership group came in and cleaned up the mess that was Cincinnati Reds baseball? We are no longer trotting out Jimmy Haynes or Eric Milton as front of the rotation starters. Dusty is the only manager of the Reds this century who has been given the tools to compete by the front office and GM. You know that.

If you think he is the person to lead this talented group to the promised land over the next couple seasons, fine. However, don't think we're stupid enough to fall for this argument.
    Don't think you're stupid enough to fall for the argument that this Reds team did better with Dusty than without and that its' not worth risking the alternatives to find out whether it's true? I never said the Reds made the playoffs solely on account of Dusty Baker. But I sure as heck think if someone is going to make the argument he was given talent, then they should also not be talking out of both sides of their mouths and act like it's his fault they didn't do anything in the playoffs. You can't have it both ways. Either he was not responsible for their success in the regular season or he was equally not responsible for the lack of playoff success.

That grass isn't always greener on the other side. Personally, I think the Reds are better with Dusty than without. And to whatever extent that is debatable, I don't think we should want to find out if it's true. Bobby Valentine says hello.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I keep Dusty unless TLR is available.

Fay tweeted that Jocketty will meet with the coaching staff tomorrow and expects everyone to return.

Turn Off Ads?