Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Dusty receive an extension?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

34 30.91%
  • Nay

55 50.00%
  • Maybe

21 19.09%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty Baker Receive an Extension?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Should Dusty Baker Receive an Extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I want to fire the whole team right now but I know that's not a good idea. I'll answer the question posed some other time.
    Agreed, and when I say fired, I mean from a cannon, into the sun.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've mentioned this a couple of other times, but my biggest issue with Baker, and it proved to be a huge one in the series, is his refusal to remove pitchers when they should be removed. He doesn't act with any urgency, even with the situation dictates so. I can forgive that somewhat in a long regular season, where you have to have your pen fresh, but it is inexcusable in the playoffs in (near) do or die situations. When Zito struggled in the 1st game, Bochy had the pen warming. Anytime is starters struggled, Bochy was not afraid in the least to pull them and go to the pen when he needed to. Dusty on the other hand refused.

Love Dusty, but not his in-game style. I'd rather have someone with Dusty's clubhouse demeanor, but much more fundamentally sound.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I keep Dusty unless TLR is available.
    I'd say that TLR is available. I'd probably love his on-field results, but I'd have to hold my nose to root for him and even then, I'd feel like I needed a shower after every game. I would save time in my day though by not having to watch or listen to the Manager's shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    And they choked the 1973 playoffs against the NY Mets and the division away in '74.
    The 1974 Dodgers were a great team as well. 102 wins. Great Speed and power...with great starters, even when they lost Tommy John in the middle of 1974...with a CY YOung season going on. They were never in the race really. They never got closer than 3 games after April or May of that year.

1973...oh yeah. THAT was bad. Everyone stopped hitting except Rose and Andy Kosco. Grimsley was terrible.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No. He is a bad manager. He may be a great psychologist, but he sucks as a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't think Dusty managed a poor series. I rip him when necessary. His hands were tied this series. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. He's not perfect. But he's better than most. I'm frustrated. I'm devastated. I'm heartbroken. But I have no problem with Dusty returning.
    I can agree that he was obviously hurt by Cueto being out..... but the whole team was hurt by his and Walt's refusal to upgrade the bench and replace Cairo and try to replace Valdez. One or the other could have helped the offense more.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No. He is a bad manager. He may be a great psychologist, but he sucks as a manager.
    A manager is basically a therapist in a baseball inform. That's most of a manager's job. Most of the in game stuff is made by his coaches, really doesn't have much of an effect on wins and loses.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

The only reason to not bring back Dusty is if you have someone better lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I've mentioned this a couple of other times, but my biggest issue with Baker, and it proved to be a huge one in the series, is his refusal to remove pitchers when they should be removed. He doesn't act with any urgency, even with the situation dictates so. I can forgive that somewhat in a long regular season, where you have to have your pen fresh, but it is inexcusable in the playoffs in (near) do or die situations. When Zito struggled in the 1st game, Bochy had the pen warming. Anytime is starters struggled, Bochy was not afraid in the least to pull them and go to the pen when he needed to. Dusty on the other hand refused.
    Was Dusty's problem in 2002 as well. Definitely his biggest weakness.

Why did Dusty Baker sell his loan mower?

Because he couldn't pull the starter

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A manager is basically a therapist in a baseball inform. That's most of a manager's job. Most of the in game stuff is made by his coaches, really doesn't have much of an effect on wins and loses.
    If that were the case, why are more managers former players who didn't go to college?

A guy probably needs to be good at both sides of things, but Dusty is terrible at the actual BASEBALL part. Always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If that were the case, why are more managers former players who didn't go to college?

A guy probably needs to be good at both sides of things, but Dusty is terrible at the actual BASEBALL part. Always has been.
    I know plenty of great therapists who didn't go to college. It's about people skills.

And how even if he is terrible at the baseball part, how come he has won so many games? Either he's not, or it just isn't that important.

I know plenty of great therapists who didn't go to college. It's about people skills.

And how even if he is terrible at the baseball part, how come he has won so many games? Either he's not, or it just isn't that important.
    It isn't THAT important on the large scale of 162 games. I have said for a long time that the difference in a season, sans a manager doing something to get a player hurt, is probably just +/-5 wins. But I also want the guy making the right decisions to make that a +5 instead of a -5. I don't see that with Dusty. Never have.

Hopefully a manager does not have an affect on that many games. Bad in-game decisions made by a bad strategist might only cost four or five more games a year then the decisions made by a good strategist. In a close Divison race though, four or five games can be a lot.

It wasn't all his fault. He had a hand in it, but so did everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?