Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 10/13

Birthdays- 10/13

Reds:

Bob Bailey (69) -Had a great year as a spare part on the '76 BRM.

Others:

Trevor Hoffman (44) -A Reds 11th-round pick who seemed to do OK in the bigs.

Randy Moffitt (62) -Giant reliever who was, as I'm sure you know, the brother of tennis superstar Billie Jean King.

Eddie Mathews -The greatest 3B of all time? Well, it's probably Schmidt, but Eddie's at least in the discussion.

Charlie Silvera (86) Spent most of his career as the third-string catcher for the Yankees. I'm quoting from memory here, but as I recall The Great American Baseball Card Book said of him, "The only time he got more than 100 ABs he hit .300, but he had as much chance of replacing Yogi Berra and Elston Howard as I do of replacing Prince Rainier".

Swede Risberg & Fred McMullin- Two of the Eight Men Out share a birthday.

Pickles Dillhoefer- Couldn't resist.

Rube Waddell- One of the greatest lefthanded pitchers ever. Flaky to the point where it almost ceased being flaky and crosed the line into mental disorder territory.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 10/13

I don't know how Hoffman did okay in the bigs; I saw him play quite a bit in class A, and he couldn't hit a lick.

But at least the Reds protected Chris Hammond in that 93 expansion draft (I hope my memory is correct) instead of Hoffman.

Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    But at least the Reds protected Chris Hammond in that 93 expansion draft (I hope my memory is correct) instead of Hoffman.

Oops.
    The big decision, I believe back then was between Hofmann and Tim Pugh. Pugh was called up the season before and had a nice September, which solidified his spot on the protected list. He basically was a poor man's Josh Fogg, but the Reds needed starting pitching back then.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Swede Risberg-

An interesting article on Risberg.

He also died on his birthday.

He actually had his leg amputated later in life due to a baseball injury.

He also was the last Black Sox member to die.

Not a real good person it sounds like.

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?...1772&pid=11975
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

...and then, of course, there is Dee Fondy.

In December 1957 he came to the Reds in exchange for Ted Kluszewski. 1958 was his only season playing for the Reds and it turned out to be his last year in the bigs. In his career he had some success, too. He spent 5 full seasons as the Cubs regular first baseman earlier in the 50s.

Turn Off Ads?