Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to call it a choke and still be proud of them?

Re: Is it OK to call it a choke and still be proud of them?

A wonderfully talented team did choke. Failure to accept that fact is living in denial. Game 5 less so than games 3 and 4, but its a choke all the same.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I love this team. There will be better days. But they choked. Yes, there was some bad luck. But that's just an excuse. Last year, the Cards had bad luck. And overcame it. The Giants had bad luck. They overcame it. The Reds had every opportunity to takes both games 3 and 4, and couldn't get it done. Couldn't make pitches when they needed to, couldn't field the ball cleanly, and couldn't hit with runners on. I don't know what IS a choke job if this isn't.

It's baseball. It happens. But it's going to be a rough winter.

I never thought anything could hurt worse than 1999. But this does.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The worst part about all this is thinking how lucky this team got in terms of health -- the odds of them getting another year of total SP health is remote.

Small market teams often have windows that last but one year. I genuinely fear we missed the best opportunity for a World Championship this team will have for a long time.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The worst part about all this is thinking how lucky this team got in terms of health -- the odds of them getting another year of total SP health is remote.

Small market teams often have windows that last but one year. I genuinely fear we missed the best opportunity for a World Championship this team will have for a long time.
    Arguably we got the worst luck we possibly could have with player health, especially SP health

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Arguably we got the worst luck we possibly could have with player health, especially SP health
    At the end, yes.

The only reason they were in such a position, though, is because their best pitchers made 30+ starts and they never had to dip down to scrubs from AAA for multiple starts.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Game 3 was as tight as any game could be. The Reds pitching was brilliant but blinked at a crucial time. If you want to call that a choke, then OK.

Game 4 they just lost. It happens.

Today they could have folded up the tent and gone home after being down 6-zip. But they battled back and continually threatened. Just could never get that big hit.

But I've been a Reds fan for 48 years, been to winning games of LDS's and NLCS's, and World Series games, and the bottom of the 9th was the most thrilling 1/2 inning I've ever seen. Standing in the middle of a roaring crowd yelling my fool head off was awesome. Bruce's at-bat was epic. They just came up short. It happens. I wouldn't call it a choke. I'd say injuries and a short staff caught up to them and they lost.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I am distressingly invested in the successes and failures of our ball club. This year featured far more of the former than latter. Incredibly proud of hanging in there after their ace gets bounced in the first. Proud of that crazy game where our AAA team beat the Cubs.

To me, 2010 was a choke. Guys were playing scared. This year they just got beat.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At the end, yes.

The only reason they were in such a position, though, is because their best pitchers made 30+ starts and they never had to dip down to scrubs from AAA for multiple starts.
    Didn't happen for SP, but it sure as hell did for the apparent NL MVP of the first half. And yet, they managed fine without it.

I think they need more SP depth, but I think they can get it (or are already developing it right now.)

It was a great season that ended about as edifyingly as a Stephen King novel.

The joy the season in its entirety brought far outweighs the bitter taste of the last three days even though it's still fresh on the tongue.

As October fades, the season will shine brighter in the rear view mirror, especially as we look forward to the sunrise of next season.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    To me, 2010 was a choke. Guys were playing scared. This year they just got beat.
    I think that's backwards. In 2010 we got absolutely murdered by two of the best pitchers in baseball. We blew Game 2, but honestly, the chances of that club beating Halladay in a Game 4 were miniscule.

This year we had S.F. on the ropes and we absolutely gagged. TBS stated that Dusty was 1-9 in his last 10 "close out" games during Game 4, and it showed.

It's 8:30pm and I think I'm over the frustration of this game and the past three days. Right now, I'm just depressed that the season is over. Reds baseball is such a constant from April-September that no matter how it ends, I hate to see it.

I almost wish it could be June forever. The weather is nice, the summer is just beginning and the Reds are there every night for us to watch, listen, follow along, analyze, agonize, cheer, speculate. Now what?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Maybe next year the season will feel better, but right now it just stinks.
    Go Gators!

I been a fan since 1969 - can I give the team the "choke" label for 1970-1973 seasons, or is it only reserved if you fail in the first round? After the Fisk HR in '75 before the 7th game, I was thinking that the team needed a "curse" to cover up the failure to win it all.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Choke yes. Historic? Hardly.
    And yes, the 2012 REDS were a team to be proud of. Over-achievers in some respects, and adversity beaters in others. The division was theirs with surprising ease.
    Overall, a good year. We'll get over this bad ending soon enough.
    It would be nice to get another shot next year.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?