Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter 2012-2013

Re: Winter 2012-2013

1. Make a decision on Chapman.

2. Someone who can get on base against right-handed pitching.

3. Another someone who can get on base against right-handed pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Trade Chapman to Colorado for Dexter Fowler. Re-sign Madson at a TJ discount, and depending on how he recovers from surgery, insert him or Broxton into the closer role.

As much as I love how electrifying Chapman can be (and his backup singing to Bronson) I think the time to trade him is now while his stock is peaking. The Reds have a surplus in the bullpen and that's what they need to tap in order to improve areas of weakness.

Let the Rockies experiment with Chapman as a starter. I love the guy - really I do - but he's the best trading chip the Reds have right now. (aside from Homer possibly.)

New lineup looks like this:

1. Fowler (CF)
    2. Phillips (2B)
    3. Votto (1B)
    4. Ludwick (LF)
    5. Bruce (RF)
    6. Frazier (3B)
    7. Cozart (SS)
    8. Hanny (C)
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

1. Decision on Chapman is #1. I'd lean to groom him as starting vs. closer.
    2. #1 means Madson has to be healthy and signed (or Broxton)...Hoover has bigger role and we may need to go find another lefty in bullpen to help Marshall from that side of plate.
    3. Move Leake/Stubbs for lefty bullpen and/or left handed 3B or CF candidate.
    4. Frazier to 3B or LF depends on what you can do at #3
    5. Didi Gregorios and Henry Rodriguez take Cairo/Valdez spots.
    6. We probably need to look replacement bat for Rolen's retirement since Frazier moves from bench to everyday lineup.
    7. We have the potential of Hamilton is ready to take CF after all star break if fall goes well and 1/2 season in AAA...the bat is better than Stubbs today and defense may not be far behind.

- I honestly don't know what to do with Ludwick. I'd love to have him back, but he has to make a decision on if he wants to test the market. I'd understand if the Reds don't want part of a multi-year deal with all the other financial commitments made and those that need to be made (Bailey, Latos, etc).

Salukifan2

Because Hamilton is only going to be able to probably get at most 5 years and most likely 3 or 4 i think the reds should definitely go after him. That would somewhat atone for letting him go in the first place.

I think the Reds pitching is in good shape going into next year but the lineup needs a significant change if they are going to win in the playoffs because they are entirely too right handed and have too many low OBP, swing and miss guys.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Because Hamilton is only going to be able to probably get at most 5 years and most likely 3 or 4 i think the reds should definitely go after him. That would somewhat atone for letting him go in the first place.
    But paying $25Mil isn't what this team is going to do for one player while majority of the team is getting raises regardless of the ESPN deal with MLB teams. Hamilton; I think would be a good fit for the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays have made BJ Upton available every season for the past 3 years at one point or another. What a story that would be..

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

I agree with others on the Chapman situation & here is my priority list:

1. Chapman.. Either we build his arm up to start or we stop saying every year he is a future starter.

2. CF.. Drew Stubbs isn't the answer. I'd like to see a Justin Upton trade or sign a guy like Nick Swisher for RF and move Bruce to CF.

3. Pick up Ludwick's Option.

Turn Off Ads?