Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-season Lookout

Re: Off-season Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I would try to resign Jonathan Broxton and Dioner Navarro. I would try to rework Ryan Madson's contract and do a deal with Ryan Ludwick.
    Broxton has to have a clause in his contract that states his pay is a direct inverse of his weight. That dude is obese. But, they are going to be shy in the bullpen next year (hoping Chapman moves to the rotation). Navarro, no thanks. Ludwick, depends on CF option. I say get that settled first, then address LF/Ludwick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've seen a few people wanting to bring back Madsen. I've even seen some saying the Reds should exercise the $11 Million option. Madsen had his surgery on April 11, 2012. Chances are pretty good that he won't even be ready for opening day. He's probably more likely to start in extended spring training somewhere. then a rehab for a while with a June 1 or so return date. He's too big of a question mark for my taste. I certainly wouldn't go much more than $1 Million with incentives for the guy. I'm guessing Boras will be after a bigger payday and the Reds should probably move on. I'd just as soon give a bigger role to Lecure and add Hoover to the mix.

Non-Tender Arredondo, Ondrusek and Bray. Bing back Broxton. I'd look to add another lefty somehow. Masset is under contract so he may start out as the 12th man on the staff and see how it goes.

Broxton CL
    Marshall LHSU
    Hoover RHSU
    Lecure RHMR
    Acquisition LHMR
    Masset Mop-up
    Leake 6th starter

Latos
    Cueto
    Chapman
    Bailey
    Arroyo

If Chapman proves incapable of starting, he goes back to the closer role with the others pushed down a spot and Leake as the 5th starter. Corcino, Cingrani and Villareal provide decent rotation depth at AAA.

On the position side, one of Stubbs or Heisey needs to go with a lefty hitting lead-off type CF (maybe a platoon guy) in his place. I'd try to bring Ludwick back and plan on Didi as a LH IF option. Valdez should be non-tendered and a journeyman minor league SS with a steady glove pursued for depth at AAA..

LH CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan/Mesoraco C

Heisey 4th OF
    Paul LHPH/OF
    Didi IF
    Vet Corner Bench Bat
    Last edited by mth123; 10-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As long as I never see Mike Leake in a Reds uniform again, I'll be happy.
    So, if Leake is traded with Chapman, Latos and Cueto to the Cards for Carpenter and Descalso, you're the tops?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So, if Leake is traded with Chapman, Latos and Cueto to the Cards for Carpenter and Descalso, you're the tops?
    Is this supposed to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Anything to make the Cards better, I'm good with.

Am I the only one who thinks bringing Ludwick back could be a bad idea? I feel like we might have just gotten the last good season he'll have and would regret bringing him back.

I don't necessarily think this will be Ludwick's last productive season, but I wouldn't go above 2/$12MM with him either.

My top priority would be CF. Ship off Stubbs for whatever you can get--surely he still has enough value to garner a decent prospect. I'd be willing to unload a package of Mesoraco and Leake to get a true impact player. Dexter Fowler and Jacoby Ellsbury seem like possible fits. For a guy like Ellsbury who is expensive, I would insist they eat Masset's contract.

If Ludwick isn't coming back, Frazier can man either LF or 3B. There's lots of LF out there. If we get that great CF, I wouldn't be opposed to somebody like Jack Hannahan for 3B. He's LHH who's good defensively and adequate offensively.

I'd non-tender Bray and possibly Ondrusek. Not sure how much to expect him to earn--maybe like ~$800M? Looks like Arredondo is already under contract for 2013. I don't see Madson or Broxton returning. I would start Cingrani as a SP in AAA, but he could be a weapon out of the bullpen in the second half of 2013.

You try to bring Navarro back if you trade Mesoraco, but it's no that big of a deal. Backup catchers are backup catchers. I imagine Cairo won't be back, whether he retires or is simply not offered a contract. You don't tender Valdez, which means we'll need two new utility IF. One should be a veteran brought in from the outside, the other the youngster who performs the best in the Spring. Heisey and Paul make a great tandem of backup OF and pinch-hitters.

Whadaya think?

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks bringing Ludwick back could be a bad idea? I feel like we might have just gotten the last good season he'll have and would regret bringing him back.
    I'd bring Ludwick back on a 1-2 year deal, nothing long-term. I would feel disappointed if they let him go, he was the only consistent power threat they had in the playoffs. (Granted Votto's power was zapped)
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Rotation depth will be a big need this offseason. I highly doubt they'll get another year where all 5 starters make 161 of the 162 starts.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Rotation depth will be a big need this offseason. I highly doubt they'll get another year where all 5 starters make 161 of the 162 starts.
    Maybe pick up another Dontrelle or Jeff Francis type. I'd say the guaranteed weaknesses like center should be a much bigger priority than starter depth.

Corcino/Cingrani? Not sure what else there is. Not like they can spend a ton of money on SP. Some much bigger needs on this team. Once we find a decent 1 on the depth chart for CF I'll be more interested in finding a 6 and 7 SP.

First of all I would keep Chapman right where he is.I hope they can sign Broxton and Ludwick.Trade for Span and sign Kevin Youkilis to play third.Frazier and Gregorous can take Cairo and Valdez's place on the bench.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

As long as I never see Mike Leake in a Reds uniform again, I'll be happy.
    Really? This seems a bit extreme, don't you think?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I hated the Ludwick signing and he proved me wrong. That said, we may have caught lightning in a bottle with him in 2012.
    The point is probably moot. Someone will give him 3/22 or even 4/30 and he's gone.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Can't LeCure be the spot starter as he was previously? Or is he now too engrained in the BP?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?