Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mat Latos needs to get his head on straight.

Re: Mat Latos needs to get his head on straight.

Latos is still just the same age as Stephen Strasburg. Latos just needs to grow.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    In fairness to Latos, things didn't really start to snowball until Cozart's error. That was huge, and not talked about enough IMO.
    But he lets these types of things emotionally rattle him, get in his head and bother him till he loses focus. If some want to call that immaturity that's fine; but he needs to find a way to deal with it, or else I[m gonna start calling him Mat Zambrano.

I find his disposition (passion) to be on the same level as a lot of ORG members. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 10-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I don't think he lost his cool. He showed a little dissatisfaction with getting squeezed on the strikezone, but he didn't blow up or lose focus.

Other than that one bad inning he was excellent once again. It was unfortunate that the Giants strung all their offensive production together in one inning, whereas the Reds had more offensive production but spread it evenly over several innings. If your team only gets 4 hits in an entire game but gets them all in one inning you could still score more runs than a team that gets 15 hits but spreads them out over all 9 innings. You can hit better than your opponent and still lose because of the timing. That's baseball.

In that one bad inning Latos got squeezed by the umpire, his defense made an error that allowed a run and cost him an out, he left one or two pitches up in the zone and he got beaten by the NL MVP like lots of other pitchers have this year. He wasn't that bad. I don't think that inning proves that he is immature, has poor character, a bad attitude or emotional problems.

Mat Latos didn't have a good year. He had a fabulous year.

Just look at the numbers. He's a true TOR starter in every respect. Innings pitched, success rate, K/BB, ERA, etc. Just a tremendous young pitcher.

He gave up a home run yesterday. He'll learn from it. He's still young and learning.

For me, he can pitch the key game any time. Just a tremendous pitcher IMO.

Yeah, but it just sucks that it ends on such a sour note, leaving a bad impression on our minds. Time will let us see the bigger picture, but these last 3 games, including Latos' yesterday are just so frustrating and madening.

I also think reminding ourselves how young he is is important as well. That's easy to forget, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Just look at the numbers. He's a true TOR starter in every respect. Innings pitched, success rate, K/BB, ERA, etc. Just a tremendous young pitcher.

He gave up a home run yesterday. He'll learn from it. He's still young and learning.

I don't think he can show any more maturity than his comments after the game. It sure is a lot different than the cowardly finger pointing going on in another clubhouse after a win.

It was a great season.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I don't think he lost his cool. He showed a little dissatisfaction with getting squeezed on the strikezone, but he didn't blow up or lose focus.

Other than that one bad inning he was excellent once again. It was unfortunate that the Giants strung all their offensive production together in one inning, whereas the Reds had more offensive production but spread it evenly over several innings. If your team only gets 4 hits in an entire game but gets them all in one inning you could still score more runs than a team that gets 15 hits but spreads them out over all 9 innings. You can hit better than your opponent and still lose because of the timing. That's baseball.

In that one bad inning Latos got squeezed by the umpire, his defense made an error that allowed a run and cost him an out, he left one or two pitches up in the zone and he got beaten by the NL MVP like lots of other pitchers have this year. He wasn't that bad. I don't think that inning proves that he is immature, has poor character, a bad attitude or emotional problems.
    This x100. It always seems like emotion is defined as either competitive fire or "losing your cool" after the fact based on what happened. Some things didn't go his way and an MVP smashed a decent fastball 430 feet. He didn't throw a tantrum and walk home three runs. Had Posey grounded out there, we'd all be saying what a bulldog Latos was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

My thoughts as well. His stats say he was essentially the same pitcher as last year, but he went from Petco to GABP. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

Mat Latos can take the ball for my team any day.

I get frustrated at work all the time, don't expect these people on the field to behave any differently.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Stat geek...and proud
    I don't think he lost his cool. He showed a little dissatisfaction with getting squeezed on the strikezone, but he didn't blow up or lose focus.<br />
    <br />
    Other than that one bad inning he was excellent once again. It was unfortunate that the Giants strung all their offensive production together in one inning, whereas the Reds had more offensive production but spread it evenly over several innings. If your team only gets 4 hits in an entire game but gets them all in one inning you could still score more runs than a team that gets 15 hits but spreads them out over all 9 innings. You can hit better than your opponent and still lose because of the timing. That's baseball.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This x100. It always seems like emotion is defined as either competitive fire or "losing your cool" after the fact based on what happened. Some things didn't go his way and an MVP smashed a decent fastball 430 feet. He didn't throw a tantrum and walk home three runs. Had Posey grounded out there, we'd all be saying what a bulldog Latos was.
    If Posey had grounded out I'd would have said he was lucky there. It was obvious to me was just chucking meatballs up there.

And that's ok. He's human. It happens. If this team ever wins a title he will be a part of that, and that last start was a learning experience for him. It was the biggest moment of his career. There's no shame in what happened as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Turn Off Ads?