Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolen expected to retire

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Rolen expected to retire

I'd love to have him stay with the organization in a coaching capacity, but I imagine he wants to spend time with his family.

I don't regret the trade to get him one bit.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...edium=facebook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen expected to retire

A great player and a great leader. I've loved having him as a Red and hope to see him back in the organization in an instructional role.

Great player, one of my favorites of all time, glad he was a Red.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah, nothing but good thoughts about Scott. A true professional that surely taught our young guys how to be.

If this rumor is true, I hope he will make an appearance at Opening Day next year so that the fans can show their appreciation.

He's a future Hall of Famer, in my book. And even though he played only 3 1/2 years with the Reds, I think he makes the Reds HOF, too. Maybe not in his first year of eligibility, but eventually. The Reds HOF tends to be inclusive, and the leadership he demonstrated from the first day he arrived cannot be overstated. He changed the entire culture of the club.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Great player, one of my favorites of all time, glad he was a Red.
    Agreed.

Maybe the best trade Jocketty will make. He brought a lot of leadership to the Reds and at least tried to teach some the players how to be a pro. Very good player in his day. But it's time for him to retire. You could see in the last two or three weekshis bat was terribly slow and he wasn't fielding nearly as well as he had. His fielding has stayed very good until recently.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

One. Solid. Ballplayer.

I just wish the Reds could have had him as a younger player. His affect on the team has been enormous, and much of it is probably intangible.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Enjoy retirement, Mr. Rolen. Hope the BBWAA doesn't screw up and we get to see your HOF acceptance speech sooner, rather than later.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Best thing to happen to this bunch of Reds. They were kind of a rudderless ship until he came on board.

He will be missed. Would love to see him as a Reds coach/manager sometime in the future.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

A true professional. It's probably the right time but I still hate to see him go.

I'm proud to have watched him play baseball as a Red, and I agree with others that I wish he'd became a Red much sooner than he ultimately did.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Loved having Scott Rolen as a Red. It was painful when the Cards got him in his prime, but until most recently he could do a lot of things to help a team win. I really feel like he was one of the guys who passed through here who really, truly wanted to be a Red, and understood what that meant.

Like Phhhl I wish they had got him the first time.

"though his credentials could still end up earning him a spot in the Hall of Fame."

You know, when he came here I would never have thought that, but he'll be an interesting case. In the end I just don't think there is enough there.

I would be shocked if he agreed to come back next year as a manager/coach. He'll either play or stay home. I would love to see him and Frazier flip-flop roles.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

A great leader. His last at bat result was predictable, and I for one was praying against logic. Still bummed, but no doubt, Scott Rolen is a class act.

Turn Off Ads?