Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rolen expected to retire

Re: Rolen expected to retire

One of the best ever to play 3B, not only for the Reds but in all of baseball. He will be missed.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

You'll always be welcome back Scott. Thank you and enjoy retirement

So often, watching on TV, I saw Bruce and Votto alongside Rolen in the dugout. Quietly, he's led the team from also-ran to postseason contender by being a superb role model for great young players finding their way.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Classic case of hanging on one or two years too many, but if someone's willing to pay you multi-millions to do so, why not. That said, I'm glad he was a Red and I wish him well in his retirement. Class act all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    One. Solid. Ballplayer.

I just wish the Reds could have had him as a younger player. His affect on the team has been enormous, and much of it is probably intangible.
    Junior-Rolen-Dunn-Kearns.

What coulda been.

It's probably the right thing, but I don't want to admit he's done playing. I want to see him pick at 3B another year or two, just not hit. He's my favorite player of all time not named Larkin. He was my favorite non-Red for years before he was traded to Cincy. I hated liking a Cardinal that much.

I think he may be the best defensive player of this generation at any position. I know I can't think of anyone better.

I better buy a jersey now.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think he may be the best defensive player of this generation at any position. I know I can't think of anyone better.
    Pudge Rodriguez and Andruw Jones in their prime come to mind, but I have little doubt Scott Rolen is the best person among that group of ballplayers. I still love Scott!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Love me some Scott Rolen.

I wish he'd been a Red his entire career.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Pudge Rodriguez and Andruw Jones in their prime come to mind, but I have little doubt Scott Rolen is the best person among that group of ballplayers. I still love Scott!
    Pudge maybe. Jones no way. I still think Rolen was the best of the bunch. I've never seen a better 3B. Some will say Brooks Robinson and he still may be top, but I can't comment as I never saw enough of Robinson to offer an opinion. I have spoken to people who have seen both, some say one some say the other. I did see Buddy Bell, and I've heard some say he was in that class, but I don't think so. Bell was great, but Rolen was in a class of his own.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Pudge maybe. Jones no way. I still think Rolen was the best of the bunch. I've never seen a better 3B. Some will say Brooks Robinson and he still may be top, but I can't comment as I never saw enough of Robinson to offer an opinion. I have spoken to people who have seen both, some say one some say the other. I did see Buddy Bell, and I've heard some say he was in that class, but I don't think so. Bell was great, but Rolen was in a class of his own.
    I saw Bell as a Red, but I've heard he was in another world prior to his stint with the Reds.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Senor Votto

If it's true I'll miss seeing him play the man's a legend. But it's Frazier's time to play

Scott Rolen should throw out the first pitch on Opening Day next year.

And we should have a SR bobblehead night also!

The reds HAVE to keep him in the dugout on the coaching staff b/c the players listen to him and he could still lead the team.Congrats to you Scott Rolan on a great career.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I didn't realize Mike Matheny's playing career has been over as long as it has now so my point is moot

But still I wouldn't be shocked to see Rolen managing the Reds sooner than later.

I'll never forget that 2010 season. Nagging injuries eventually drug him down, but for about three or four months, Rolen was just about everything you could possibly want in a ballplayer.

Turn Off Ads?