Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rolen expected to retire

Re: Rolen expected to retire

I'm not usually into old cliches and labels, but if there was ever the definition of "ballplayer", it's Rolen. I can't think of anyone else from this generation that fits the mold more. He did everything well. He wasn't fast, but may have been the best baserunner in the game throughout his career. What first made me such a fan outside of the fact that I've always been drawn to exceptional defenders, is the way he'd drop his head and run the bases when he hit a HR, regardless of how long it was or the situation.

If I could create the perfect ballplayer, he'd probably look more like Rolen than any other player who's played since I've been following the game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm not usually into old cliches and labels, but if there was ever the definition of "ballplayer", it's Rolen. I can't think of anyone else from this generation that fits the mold more. He did everything well. He wasn't fast, but may have been the best baserunner in the game throughout his career. What first made me such a fan outside of the fact that I've always been drawn to exceptional defenders, is the way he'd drop his head and run the bases when he hit a HR, regardless of how long it was or the situation.

If I could create the perfect ballplayer, he'd probably look more like Rolen than any other player who's played since I've been following the game.
    Indeed.

The next question is, who is the guy in his prime right now who is most Rolenesque, and how do the Reds get him?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Love me some Scott Rolen.

I wish he'd been a Red his entire career.
    Could have had him in 1993 draft as he went #46, but the Reds loved them some Pat Watkins at #32.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Maybe the best trade Jocketty will make. He brought a lot of leadership to the Reds and at least tried to teach some the players how to be a pro. Very good player in his day. But it's time for him to retire. You could see in the last two or three weekshis bat was terribly slow and he wasn't fielding nearly as well as he had. His fielding has stayed very good until recently.
    Better than the Jeremy Horst for Wilson Valdez trade? I miss Horst--he was an RBI machine for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Indeed.

The next question is, who is the guy in his prime right now who is most Rolenesque, and how do the Reds get him?
    Kevin Youkilis,He's played for a winner and was well respected by his teammates.He's from Cincy and he plays third base.Works for me.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Stat geek...and proud

I knew this was probably coming, but I hate to see him go. Great guy, great player, (and a heck of a high school basketball player too back in the day).

What sucks about it is that if he's healthy, he can still go. He showed it in flashes this year. He just can't play a lot without winding up with something hurting.

Great ball player - yes
    Time to retire - yes

Y. Molina (past his prime, but still)

No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Indeed.

He won't come close to being as talented as Rolen was in his prime, but from an attitude and leadership standpoint, the Reds may already have him in Todd Frazier.

If you want to add HOF talent to the equation, Joey Votto may be maturing into the quiet leader that Rolen was.

I'm actually having a tough time thinking of players in their prime years I'd put in that category. Older guys like Derek Jeter, Michael Young and Paul Konerko come to mind. Chase Utley might be a name to consider. No chance at those guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I've never seen a better 3B. Some will say Brooks Robinson and he still may be top, but I can't comment as I never saw enough of Robinson to offer an opinion. I have spoken to people who have seen both, some say one some say the other. I did see Buddy Bell, and I've heard some say he was in that class, but I don't think so. Bell was great, but Rolen was in a class of his own.
    I still remember Brooks in that 1970 series. He simply owned us. 16 GG AWards. IMO, he was the greatest defensive 3Bman I had the opportunity to witness, but Mike Schmidt is right there too.

And lets not forget guys like Brett, Boggs, and especially Chipper Jones.

Rolen was in the same class with these guys.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I will be extremely sad if this comes to be. I know baseball wise it is probably time but he quickly became my all-time favorite Red.

If he hangs em up....I will miss him greatly.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

We've been lucky to see two of the best defensive third basemen of all time in Reds uniforms, Buddy Bell and Scott Rolen.

Totally different styles, Bell was the smoothest thirdbaseman I ever saw. Maz smooth. He too was past his prime when he came here, but watching him field his position was an awesome thing.

Rolen is more athletic, more powerful. The ultimate warrior. And a hall of fame teammate and mentor as well. I agree with everyone who has lumped praise on his contributions to this team as an example of how a professional goes about his business.

Hope he stays around the organization, and I'll bet Jocketty makes it so if he wants it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds
    Jocketty had heard the reports that third baseman Scott Rolen has decided to retire.

“He hasn’t told us that,” Jocketty said. “I’ve talked to him. I don’t think he knows what he wants to do.”

Jocketty said the Reds would be interested in Rolen returning in some role, if he chooses to play.
    Wonder if Rolen might decide to come back as a bench player? Perhaps he could serve as a bench 3B/1B/PH role.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

Wonder if Rolen might decide to come back as a bench player? Perhaps he could serve as a bench 3B/1B/PH role.
    I'd welcome that. He can still play when he gets a lot of rest. As an everyday player he's done. Starts to break down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'd welcome that. He can still play when he gets a lot of rest. As an everyday player he's done. Starts to break down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I started a thread a few months ago about Rolen filling Cairo's roll. He would be a perfect fit if the desire is there. Considering that the everyday 3B could play both corner OF positions in a round about way Scott could fill in at 4 different spots in the field if we assume he can play 1B.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 10-13-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Turn Off Ads?