Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rolen expected to retire

Re: Rolen expected to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I started a thread a few months ago about Rolen filling Cairo's roll. He would be a perfect fit if the desire is there. Considering that the everyday 3B could play both corner OF positions in a round about way Scott could fill in at 4 different spots in the field if we assume he can play 1B.

Curious, why on earth would he (or whoever is managing the Reds) do that? On his worst days, he's better than 90% of the 3Bs out there defensively. If he were to resign, I'm willing to say he'd play 3B when he plays.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

2. Turn Off Ads?

Retire with honor. He's had a very illustrious career, and something to be proud of. All Scott has to do is take a page, and look back, at a majority of aging ballplayers who tried to hang on when their bodies tell them otherwise. Should be an easy decision to make since he has nothing left to prove.

I do think he'd be a solid bench coach though, and mentor, to some of these younger players (especially Frazier).

But either way - you did good Scott Rolen.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-15-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Curious - A-Rod's total there is not just his time as a 3B right? I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the first half of his career as a SS.
    Correct; this is lifetime value for guys who qualified at 3B. Not sure what criteria they use for that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Curious, why on earth would he (or whoever is managing the Reds) do that? On his worst days, he's better than 90% of the 3Bs out there defensively. If he were to resign, I'm willing to say he'd play 3B when he plays.
    What he's saying is that because Frazier (the everyday 3B) can play all those positions, its kind of like Rolen being able to off the bench, because they can put Rolen at 3rd and move Frazier to the other positions. I do think he was talking about Scotty playing 1B, but I could be wrong.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

If Rolen does make the hall of fame, what hat does he wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    In yesteryear he would be allowed to pick his hat and it would be as a Red. Unfortunately I think if the writers pick he goes in as a Card. However they may allow him to "choose" which hat to wear.

A nice light colored suit is appropriate for the summertime in Cooperstown, NY.

He seems to have split his time between the Phillies and Cardinals. If he has a choice I would say Cardinals since his time didn't end well in Philly.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    We've been lucky to see two of the best defensive third basemen of all time in Reds uniforms, Buddy Bell and Scott Rolen.

Totally different styles, Bell was the smoothest thirdbaseman I ever saw. Maz smooth. He too was past his prime when he came here, but watching him field his position was an awesome thing.

Rolen is more athletic, more powerful. The ultimate warrior. And a hall of fame teammate and mentor as well. I agree with everyone who has lumped praise on his contributions to this team as an example of how a professional goes about his business.

Hope he stays around the organization, and I'll bet Jocketty makes it so if he wants it.

Cardinal red. Phillies wouldn't have him and his years as a cardinal are much better than his years as a blue jay or a red.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Cardinal red. Phillies wouldn't have him and his years as a cardinal are much better than his years as a blue jay or a red.
    It is funny because Rolen in Cincy has been the consummate professional but his time in both Philly and St.Louis ended on very bad notes.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I still remember Brooks in that 1970 series. He simply owned us. 16 GG AWards. IMO, he was the greatest defensive 3Bman I had the opportunity to witness, but Mike Schmidt is right there too.

And lets not forget guys like Brett, Boggs, and especially Chipper Jones.

Rolen was in the same class with these guys.
    This. I've never seen anybody dominate defensively like Brooks did. And Schmidt gets overlooked defensively quite often I think.

I'll always think of him more as a Philly since he started there and was really just a hired mercenary for the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It is funny because Rolen in Cincy has been the consummate professional but his time in both Philly and St.Louis ended on very bad notes.
    Having seen how he handles himself, I'm guessing it was some immaturity in Philly for not being able to handle a personality clash (and don't forget it was not a good program during his tenure either) and his honesty that probably got him in trouble in St. Louis.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Shame he can't just have a red hat on without a symbol- it would cover all the options but the Jays.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Having seen how he handles himself, I'm guessing it was some immaturity in Philly for not being able to handle a personality clash (and don't forget it was not a good program during his tenure either) and his honesty that probably got him in trouble in St. Louis.
    Let's look at who he clashed with--Larry Bowa in Philadelphia (one of the most abrasive individuals in baseball history), and Tony LaRussa in St. Louis (whose arrogance and smugness knows no bounds).

I would question Rolen's character if he didn't clash with them.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?