Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on Dusty

Re: My thoughts on Dusty

A short-term contract? I have a feeling that Dusty is not gonna like that very much. Perhaps this is Jocketty's way of getting Baker out the door while saving face. The old "we wanted him back and offered him a contract" fall back position.

That being said, I expect to see both Baker back in 2013 and Stubbs in CF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    how many times did i hear "how brilliant" Dusty was for his pitching decisions in Game 1 once Cueto went down? Dusty himself was credited for his brilliance as a big reason for the win in Game 1 yet when the Reds meltdown at home over the last three games its not his fault. In a game of accountability where the players can not be FIRED someone has to take the heat. Unfortunately, most often it's the coaches that lose their jobs at the expense of the players failure. I keep hearing the Reds had a great season. Did they? What did they win?
    What did Dusty do to cause the "meltdown" over the last three games?....or what did he not do to prevent it? The fact that the Reds won 97 regular season games with Dusty as manager seems to mean nothing, and the three losses to end the season mean everything.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    A short-term contract? I have a feeling that Dusty is not gonna like that very much. Perhaps this is Jocketty's way of getting Baker out the door while saving face. The old "we wanted him back and offered him a contract" fall back position.

That being said, I expect to see both Baker back in 2013 and Stubbs in CF.
    Yup, a 1 year contract is basically saying "I don't wanna fire you, but I don't really want you around either."

Either give him a multi-year deal or nothing at all. I want the Chapman decision to be made upon what is best for Chapman and the organization for the long haul, not what is best for Dusty looking to get a long term deal.

Dusty Baker time and again has proven to be a bad tactical manager. the 2002 World Series, the Bartman series, the 3 other playoff losses all weigh against him. Yes, he won 97 games. i think with the Astros and the Cubs in the division, that wasn't the monumental achievement it appears to be.
    i can't tell you how many times he blows me away with a questionable play, like an innapropiate bunt, a inane substitution, a pitching change that happens too late, a player in the lineup that doesn't belong in the spot he's in, etc.
    i think if Castellini doesn't make a change, season ticket sales will suffer, RedsFest will suffer, and the Caravan will be tougher to attract crowds. Castellini needs to inject some hope and change into the Reds before people become apathetic. This is too good a team to waste with a bad manager, and that's a real shame with this kind of talent.
    Last edited by Rotater Cuff; 10-12-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: incomplete

I do not care if Dusty is back for 2013.....as long as Drew Stubbs is not.

But they both will and Stubbs will get his 150 starts barring injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff View Post
    Dusty Baker time and again has proven to be a bad tactical manager. the 2002 World Series, the Bartman series, the 3 other playoff losses all weigh against him. Yes, he won 97 games. i think with the Astros and the Cubs in the division, that wasn't the monumental achievement it appears to be.
    i can't tell you how many times he blows me away with a questionable play, like an innapropiate bunt, a inane substitution, a pitching change that happens too late, a player in the lineup that doesn't belong in the spot he's in, etc.
    i think if Castellini doesn't make a change, season ticket sales will suffer, RedsFest will suffer, and the Caravan will be tougher to attract crowds. Castellini needs to inject some hope and change into the Reds before people become apathetic. This is too good a team to waste with a bad manager, and that's a real shame with this kind of talent.

If Dusty really is as inept as some of you feel his is, do you think Walt Jocketty wouldn't know that? Do you have a keener baseball eye than he does?
    So easy to second-guess a manager's moves from your sofa, but that's a fan's right. I'm very confident that Bob Castellini and Walt Jocketty will make the right decison with our manager. The Reds have come so far with these two calling the shots there's no reason to doubt them now.

I think it is the case that Dusty is a better team chemistry guy than a making every perfect change during the game. However, Bobby V forecasts what you can get if you fall too much in love with the smartest guy in the room. I would stay with Dusty unless you had a fantastic alternative.

Have to also say that mainly the combination of injuries and players not getting the job done were the main culprits of the 3 game streak. Reds gave away game 3 with dumb errors by veteran players. I just don't think that you can give away a game in a five game series against a team that is equally talented.

I've decided. I want Dusty gone. You can't choke like that.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Baker just blows such basic stuff. In the 5th yesterday he PH Heisey (instead of Paul) against Cain with two runners on and no outs. Pop-out. Phillips then doubled both runners in, but that was all the Reds got.

And of course when Baker later decided to PH Paul, Bochy countered with one of his three LH relievers. K. Anyone with a functioning brain stem should have known that would happen. These are Paul's career numbers vs. LHP:

.140 .197 .158 .355 That's 8-57 with 1 double. In his career.

So essentially, after managing 19 years and over 3000 games, he makes a mistake that a Little League manager doesn't. In Game 5 of the NLDS.

The players can sing his praises and Castellini and Jocketty can keep the guy around till 2030, and he still won't get them over the top.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    However, Bobby V forecasts what you can get if you fall too much in love with the smartest guy in the room.
    Not sure I'd ever accuse Valentine of being that.

TLR maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Dusty choked?....not Scott Rolen, not Mat Latos, Dusty? Odd thinking.

Are you being negative now?

I guess Washington has to fire Davey Johnson now....another choke artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I do not care if Dusty is back for 2013.....as long as Drew Stubbs is not.

But they both will and Stubbs will get his 150 starts barring injury.
    This, I would rather have Dusty back than Stubbs. Unfortunately I think the two may be joined at the hip.

Turn Off Ads?