Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    WIBW 580 in Topeka, KS said Speier is the front runner for the Rockies opening
    Good for him

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: My thoughts on Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Good for him
    Then the Reds should act quickly.

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Then the Reds should act quickly.
    You have to think this out, Speier is one of Dusty's best friends ever. He is not going to step in if Dusty is fired. The only way he takes over will be when Dusty calls it quits. I like Speier (did when he played) and have a hunch he will be a great manager. Players love him!

It would be tough for me to not bring Dusty back. I only say this because I seriously cannot think of another manager that would be an upgrade over him. The only real possibilties I can think ok are Jim Tracy, David Bell, Chris Speier, and Jim Riggleman. I don't think they are upgrades. And LaRussa probably doesn't want to manage the Reds. I also don;t want to see him in a Reds uniform. Don't let Dusty go unless there is a better option. I don't see one yet.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I don't really give a damn if the players love their manager.

This is Baker's record with the Reds:

Cincinnati Reds 5 years 419 391 .517
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-12-2012 at 03:55 AM.

I hope Dusty returns.

I was born in 1988 so I have witnessed very few successful Reds teams.

The two most successful are the 2010 and 2010 clubs. Since Dusty has been hired the Reds have gone from a cellar-dweller in the NL Central to Division Champions.

I may disagree with some of the decisions he makes, but I think he is a great manager. I hope he leaves on his own terms.

Sports fans are funny..the Reds win 97 regular season games, and they want a new manager. What did Dusty do so wrong? Oh, wait, I know now. He forgot to flash the "no grand slams" sign to Mat Latos...didn't given Scott Rolen the "no bobbles" signal on that slow grounder to third. Yeah, the man's got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    I'm going to disagree. Yeah, it's great the players love him and all but the man is completely hopeless in in-game adjustments. That's said, I don't necessarily think Dusty needs to be shown the door quite yet.

If there's anyone I want to see go, it's Jacoby. The offense needs a better approach at the plate and that's something I think a new hitting coach address.
    Spot on
    I've never been less aware of a hitting instructor in 40 years of following the Reds
    Last edited by Rantly; 10-12-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I think the Reds need to ride the wave of continuity right now. The team is set up for about a 3-year window of success with the cornerstones in place right now. I wouldn't feel comfortable shaking that up and I fear terminating Dusty would have a negative impact on the players. And to repeat the sentiment of some others: who will replace him? We've seen some tragic choices to manage the Reds. At least we know what we'll get with Dusty, and frankly, that brings me some comfort.

The team has enough talent to win the Central division again next year and possibly the next few. While anyone can second guess a manager's decision, those decisions are under the microscope in the playoffs. It took a perfect storm for the Giants to come back from a 2-0 hole and steal the NLDS away from the Reds. A perfect storm. Dusty was just one part of a collective sequence of unfortunate events.

Bring him back and let him lead the Reds to their third NL Central title in four seasons. Then hope that good fortune returns to Cincinnati, because it takes a few sprinkles of luck to advance in the post-season, too.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

how many times did i hear "how brilliant" Dusty was for his pitching decisions in Game 1 once Cueto went down? Dusty himself was credited for his brilliance as a big reason for the win in Game 1 yet when the Reds meltdown at home over the last three games its not his fault. In a game of accountability where the players can not be FIRED someone has to take the heat. Unfortunately, most often it's the coaches that lose their jobs at the expense of the players failure. I keep hearing the Reds had a great season. Did they? What did they win?

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    how many times did i hear "how brilliant" Dusty was for his pitching decisions in Game 1 once Cueto went down? Dusty himself was credited for his brilliance as a big reason for the win in Game 1 yet when the Reds meltdown at home over the last three games its not his fault. In a game of accountability where the players can not be FIRED someone has to take the heat. Unfortunately, most often it's the coaches that lose their jobs at the expense of the players failure. I keep hearing the Reds had a great season. Did they? What did they win?
    agreed..

to me, Giants manager made key moves to put the Giants in better position to suceed than Dusty did

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    He did make the right moves in game one and credit is due him. But his hand was forced. He had to go to the pen. I think the knock on Dusty is that he doesn't have a feel for when to remove a starter and go to the pen in the normal course of a game. It was very obvious that Latos was melting down. He left Latos in too long yesterday (Did Latos even get a mound visit during that inning? I don't think he did [could be wrong]which is beyond understanding) and he left Leake in too long in game three. Botchy was spot on with his timing. Don't want to bash him too much. But a couple of timely moves with the starting pitching could have made a difference.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boiseheidleberg View Post
    He did make the right moves in game one and credit is due him. But his hand was forced. He had to go to the pen. I think the knock on Dusty is that he doesn't have a feel for when to remove a starter and go to the pen in the normal course of a game. It was very obvious that Latos was melting down. He left Latos in too long yesterday (Did Latos even get a mound visit during that inning? I don't think he did [could be wrong]which is beyond understanding) and he left Leake in too long in game three. Botchy was spot on with his timing. Don't want to bash him too much. But a couple of timely moves with the starting pitching could have made a difference.
    There was a mound visit. Right after Latos thought he didn't get a few strike calls!!!

Oops, my bad, wasn't sure.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...medium=twitter

The Reds want manager Dusty Baker back for the 2013 season. General manager Walt Jocketty planned to meet with Baker and offer him a short-term contract this morning, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...medium=twitter

Turn Off Ads?