Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My thoughts on Dusty

Re: My thoughts on Dusty

Dusty is the Marty Schottenheimer of baseball.
    Last edited by Seat5; 10-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Baker's career record (includes Bonds-wins):

19 years 1581-1432 .525

Baker with the Reds:

5 years 419-391 .517

Baker post-season with Reds:

2 years 2-6 .250

In five years he's only 24 games over .500 as this team's manager. But he seems to dial it up a notch for contract years. Handed a one-year contract....which I assume he will accept....I don't think he does any better, takes the team any further than this year.

It's way past time for the team to move on, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

19 years 1581-1432 .525

Baker with the Reds:

5 years 419-391 .517

2 years 2-6 .250

In five years he's only 24 games over .500 as this team's manager. But he seems to dial it up a notch for contract years. Handed a one-year contract....which I assume he will accept....I don't think he does any better, takes the team any further than this year.

Here are Dusty's overall postseason numbers.

19-25 in post season games .431
    3-6 in post season series (including 2-4 in the first round) .333

In five years he's only 24 games over .500 as this team's manager.
    Only 24 games over .500? How quickly we forget 2000-2009. Other than Pete Mackanin's half season no manager was near .500.

Speaking of, I see Mackanin was just let go by the Phillies. I would love to see him wind back up with the Reds in some capacity.

19 years 1581-1432 .525

Baker with the Reds:

5 years 419-391 .517

2 years 2-6 .250

Dust Baker won 99 games this year but that's not good enough for a malcontent. We've gone to the playoffs 2 of the last three years, something unheard of for decades in Cincinnati, but that's not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Dust Baker won 99 games this year but that's not good enough for a malcontent. We've gone to the playoffs 2 of the last three years, something unheard of for decades in Cincinnati, but that's not good enough.
    I'm "malcontent" because I seemed to be a voice in the wilderness (vehemently against it) when it came to the Griffey acquisition an eternity ago.

Replace Baker with a better manager and I'll be very content.

Of course, I also know I don't have that kind of luck.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Great time to part ways. Dusty has as much value now as he ever will and would be a good bet to land another gig. IMO this team needs a manager that holds thenm a little more accountable for their performance. Patience is a virtue, too much patience may be a fault. I know Dusty is considered a "Players Manager". I'm sure people like Stubbs , Rolen and Cairo loved playing for a guy that would send them out night after night regardless of how bad they performance were. In my gut I think he will be back on a one year deal, but man would I love to see old number 8 (Joe Morgan) be named manager of this team for 2013.

nm

Turn Off Ads?