Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who had the most heart breaking knockout

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rangers - Lose 3 straight to lose division title, then lose WC

9 12.68%
  • Braves - Chipper error, botched IF fly call changed game

5 7.04%
  • Nats - Up 2 in 9th, had STL down to last strike many times, career .230 MiL hitter hits go-ahead hit

39 54.93%
  • Reds - Up 2 games to none, lose 3 in a row at home. Many chances to win game 3 and 5.

18 25.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most heartbreaking knockout

Most heartbreaking knockout

So, we had a rough knockout. But so have some other teams so far. TRY to take yourself out of your Reds shoes and answer objectively (I know that is tough).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most heartbreaking knockout

I really think the Braves have had the worst bit of it. A clear #1 wild card team, they went to the one-game playoff and were significantly affected by one of the poorest calls that I have seen in a very long time.

That, combined with Chipper Jones retiring in the same game which led to the focus of the final inning being on booing and chanting at an umpire rather than celebrating one of the franchise's great players, makes the Braves' exit the most bitter pill to swallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I really think the Braves have had the worst bit of it. A clear #1 wild card team, they went to the one-game playoff and were significantly affected by one of the poorest calls that I have seen in a very long time.

That, combined with Chipper Jones retiring in the same game which led to the focus of the final inning being on booing and chanting at an umpire rather than celebrating one of the franchise's great players, makes the Braves' exit the most bitter pill to swallow.
    Yeah, I think being upset about an obvious blown call by an umpire might be worse than having your players lose fair and square. Not saying they lost because of that play, but it certainly hampered their chances.

I honestly think this is pretty close to a tossup. Gosh, the Nats had that game won yesterday. What a devestating loss for them too.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds. This city just seems cursed.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I voted for the Nats but you can make a case for the Braves too. It's been a pretty crappy post season for most of the teams that were clearly the best ones in the regular season.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Texas was the best team in baseball for most of the season, then lost the division by being swept in their final series, forcing a one game playoff. It seemed like everything was set for them to finally win it all, then poof, their season was gone.

Braves game was rough due to the call, but they were destined for the wild card game and should never have felt comfortable about their chances.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I voted for the Nats but you can make a case for the Braves too. It's been a pretty crappy post season for most of the teams that were clearly the best ones in the regular season.
    I honestly think the Nats got what they deserved (though I did vote for them). Can't just shut down a top pitcher due to fear of his innings pitched, then have your GM come out and say, "We'll be winning more divisions, and do this a few more times." I hope they miss the playoffs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I honestly think the Nats got what they deserved (though I did vote for them). Can't just shut down a top pitcher due to fear of his innings pitched, then have your GM come out and say, "We'll be winning more divisions, and do this a few more times." I hope they miss the playoffs next year.
    Ditto...no matter what you believe in in terms of an actual religion, that is your freedom of choice, but it is hard to argue that baseball gods do in fact exist.

Much respect to the Cards, I hate the crap out of them, but have to respect their play and performance. They remind me so much of the Patriots it kills me inside (Colts fan).
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Much respect to the Cards, I hate the crap out of them, but have to respect their play and performance. They remind me so much of the Patriots it kills me inside (Colts fan).
    That might be paranoia? The Patriots have one of the best coaches and QB's EVER. That is a recipe for amazing success. This year, the Cards have a brand new, inexperienced (managerial wise) manager and just lost one of the greatest hitters and managers ever. Also lost their ace all season til right before the playoffs (convenient, right?). They made it this far because MLB added a playoff team last minute, sort of like how the ump called IF fly last second. Any year before 2012, and they don't sniff the playoffs.

The only comparison I see is the "Tuck Rule" could be close to the luckiness of the IF Fly call.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    That might be paranoia? The Patriots have one of the best coaches and QB's EVER. That is a recipe for amazing success. This year, the Cards have a brand new, inexperienced (managerial wise) manager and just lost one of the greatest hitters and managers ever. Also lost their ace all season til right before the playoffs (convenient, right?). They made it this far because MLB added a playoff team last minute, sort of like how the ump called IF fly last second. Any year before 2012, and they don't sniff the playoffs.

The only comparison I see is the "Tuck Rule" could be close to the luckiness of the IF Fly call.

Sorry.
    I used to live in St. Louis, so I have a lot of Card fans as friends, and everyone of them totally understand how lucky they've been lately, they even joke about it, and they all have expressed some sense of guilt over it. So even they aren't convinced that they completely deserve this success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I voted Nats, who were victims of bad luck, bad pitching and bad umpiring. But the Braves losing on that joke of an umpire's call was just beyond any sort of reason.

I voted Reds simply cuz I don't care about any other team

Oops, after reading the question again, we were suppose to take that out of the equation. That said, I vote Nats. Sorry

I voted Reds. I know I thought the Reds would advance one way or another after winning the first two in SF and I had plenty of time to think about it. I would argue that of all the teams mentioned the Reds were the only one to look like a sure bet to advance to the championship series. Teams come back in single games all of the time and it can be somewhat expected to happen but lossing the last three after winning the first two is something that just doesn't happen often.

I think it should also be mentioned that the opening post probably intended for all emotional attachments to be put aside. A lot us wanted the Cards to lose that game just about as bad as we wanted the Reds to advance.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 10-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.

The Rangers dominated their division all summer, were one of the biggest "locks" for the postseason all year. Then they basically have one bad week, get pushed into the Wildcard game where they are one & done

The Braves played terrible, and even if the infield fly isn't called, no guarantee they come back. The Rangers and Reds both had awful collapses, but I've got to vote Washington here. You're up 6-0 in game 5, your ace is on the mound, you're one out away from closing the deal... and you blow it. Ouch, babe.

Turn Off Ads?