Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it sinking in for anyone else RIGHT NOW too?

Re: Is it sinking in for anyone else RIGHT NOW too?

I felt like this season was most likely over when I realized Mike Leake was going to start a game four. Expecting the Reds to come back and win today against Matt Cain was unreasonable, IMO. I was prepared for today and wasn't overly upset.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm still sitting here hours later, numb, unable to sleep.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm feeling so down and devastated right now. It hurts like crazy. I really thought this team was going deep in the playoffs after the way they played in San Francisco.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm feeling so down and devastated right now. It hurts like crazy. I really thought this team was going deep in the playoffs after the way they played in San Francisco.
    Same man. Hell I thought that way back in August.

I had nightmares about a collapse like this happening, and I brushed it off like it was a crazy dream. So yeah, this experience has been literally a nightmare scenario for me!

It just hurts that's it's over. I seriously watched 4-5 games a week for the entire season. That's 6 months, and now there's just nothing to look forward. It was a hell of a season, but for it to be over and end like that, it's just tough to deal with. What am I going to gamecast when I'm out on a Saturday night now? It's just an empty feeling.

Still love em though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It just hurts that's it's over. I seriously watched 4-5 games a week for the entire season. That's 6 months, and now there's just nothing to look forward. It was a hell of a season, but for it to be over and end like that, it's just tough to deal with. What am I going to gamecast when I'm out on a Saturday night now? It's just an empty feeling.

Still love em though.
    I think that's my biggest thing too. It was over within a couple weeks at the most anyway from now, but I definitely hadn't even come close to making my peace with closing the book on the 2012 Reds this early at all.

Tossing and turning instead of sleeping, thinking about where it went wrong, it is sinking in now.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I felt like this season was most likely over when I realized Mike Leake was going to start a game four. Expecting the Reds to come back and win today against Matt Cain was unreasonable, IMO. I was prepared for today and wasn't overly upset.
    I was in that boat. Until the ninth inning. They sucked me back in, so that made it that much worse when the inevitable happened.

This is why baseball is awesome. I felt physically ill until about 8 o'clock last night after that. I'm a huge Colts fan, as some of you may already know, and they've suffered their share of disappointing playoff losses. None of those hit me as hard as this. No other sport, not football, not basketball, can make me feel emotions the way baseball can. I would gladly trade that Colts Super Bowl ring for a Reds World Series.

Baseball is the best thing ever. But I hate it right now.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yeah, expecting them to beat Cain in a game at home, when they've already beated Cain 3 times this year, was certainly unreasonable.....

And Cain didn't beat us today, Posey did.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yeah, expecting them to beat Cain in a game at home, when they've already beated Cain 3 times this year, was certainly unreasonable.....

And Cain didn't beat us today, Posey did.
    I didn't say anything about what actually beat us. I was speaking on my mindset and I didn't say it was right either. I respectfully gave my opinion and don't exactly appreciate your rude and condescending tone. Be respectful of people more often bud. I suspect you attempt to bully the way people post on here. You won't do that with me.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The other hard part is this -- I thought 2010 was going to be the start of something great.

Then 2011 happened.

I don't want to sit through another 2011.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I don't know about you guys, but this is why I'm a fan. They were in the playoffs, they had a shot, but they failed. We could be a Cubs fan and sitting at home wondering about maybe 2015.

But that's life. You can't experience the highs without experiencing the lows. These experiences don't come along often. You take them as they are, experiece them, recognize them, assimiliate them into you body of life experiences and you go on.

I thought this last week was fantastic and put me through all the highs and lows a fan can have. I've been surprised, giddy, amazed, anxious, worried, nervous, befuddled and ultimately crestfallen and crushed. But I'm glad to have had all those things. It's a fans life and I wouldn't trade the last week in for a million bucks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The problem is, if you're in your mid-late 20s or younger, you have nothing but lows as a Reds fan.

1990 is getting pretty far in the rear-view -- I was 9 when that happened. Every memory I've had since then has been depressing: losing seasons, missed opportunities, playoff chokes.

You start to wonder "If not now, when?" There are no guarantees for a small market club carrying success from year to year. The margin for error is simply too slim.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I am focusing on other things.

Colts

Pacers

My kids sports

Reruns of old sitcoms on Netflix.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

So many threads to post this in, figured I'd go here...

Though I rarely post, I "live" here during the season, every single day...and I doubt anyone but you guys would understand my thoughts and feelings...

I am both pained and proud...sports are so cruel sometimes...164 games of joy followed by 3 tough, bitter pills in a row...and like that, it's over...so like the players, I will "pack up" my baseball jones and put it away for 6 months (I'm one of those done with baseball for the year guys)...

But as crushing as Cueto's injury, Votto's inability to drive the ball, the weight of 2 errors that we never see, and a touch of youth and inexperience showing with Latos I am finding myself feeling an incredible euphoria over not only the season but yesterday's game in particular...and that's weird...

I left work early and watched the game with my daughters at a local sports bar...we hung on every pitch...and the top of the 5th was hard to watch...but then I got to watch why I REALLY enjoyed this team and this season...they simply play the game the right way until the very last strike...

Every inning we competed, from the incredible relief pitching to getting big hit after big hit even in the shadows...the crowd willing the team with a passion and intensity that I've never seen before...and I just knew, just knew that Bruce's AB would be the one...be the one to send us all into a frenzy that we've experienced so rarely...

I'm old enough to remember almost all of it...starting with Rudi's catch in '72, all the way thru now...and for me, a virtual native Floridian, watching from afar, on tv, radio or the internet...

Foul ball, foul ball, foul ball...with each suceeding pitch my girls and I edged closer to the screen...we reminded ourselves of his walkoff in '10, Dunn's GS walkoff and the win over the Diamondbacks earlier this year...it was going to happen...it had to happen...

And of course, it didn't happen...and I kindof knew that Rolen was star-crossed somehow, that it would end there with him...another painful type of trajedy...

My youngest left with tears in her eyes...and it was easily the most intense 2 hours (from 5th inning on) of sports TV I've witnessed in while (Lakers-Celtics Game 7 2 years ago is the only thing I can think of for me in a LONG while)...

And maybe the way we lost was cathartic for me...I'm old enough to know I can't sulk and pout, but it still hurts...but wow, I got such incredible pleasure watching this team (and yes, this manager) all year...

We lost with the dignity and effort and character reserved for champions...and although I have 6 months of waiting for this yearly exodus to resume, I will dwell on the last 4.5 innings of our season with tremendous pride and happiness that I have the priviledge of being a Red's fan...

Thanks also to this site and to you for being my BFF's each year

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Turn Off Ads?