Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto's knee injury

Votto's knee injury

“Physically, it was frustrating,” Votto said. “I did the very best I could with what I had. I know a lot of people are frustrated with the power. If I can’t do certain things, I try to fill in with other things. I tried to get on base more for the guys behind me.
    I thought they said his meniscus tear was a simple scope and he would be back in three weeks. I never imagined that it would still be affecting his play nearly three months later. Maybe I just got the wrong impression from the get-go, but his knee and him wearing a brace and not being 100% three months later strikes me as a little odd.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Votto's knee injury

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I thought they said his meniscus tear was a simple scope and he would be back in three weeks. I never imagined that it would still be affecting his play nearly three months later. Maybe I just got the wrong impression from the get-go, but his knee and him wearing a brace and not being 100% three months later strikes me as a little odd.
    This is my biggest concern: is the knee going to be 100% next year or not?

Any experts out there?

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

i would like some clear answers here as well.

I'm no expert, but I remember hearing on multiple broadcasts that Votto wouldn't be Votto until next year, and his time away caused timing and strength issues.

We all saw that since his return he was not the same, but I'm optimistic that he will be 100% when he reports to Spring Training.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I have more confidence in that guy with the plaid sport coat selling buy here pay here cars than the Reds' medical staff ---
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I posted this yesterday:

Votto seems to almost refuse to hit the ball to right field no matter what, if it's a 87 mph fast ball middle in, or a hanging do nothing breaking pitch. He should hit those pitches out in front of him, at least every now and then.
    He is the opposite of the hitter who try's to pull everything.
    I don't buy the knee issue, if it's so bad why does he not wear a support brace? (Not talking about the elastic band he puts on below his knee when he reaches base.)
    And when it comes to hitting the front leg is much more important than the back leg (bad knee), unless you are Jeff Bagwell or Brandon Phillips to a lesser degree.

In one of the last games (reg. season) he went to his right to field a grounder and had to slam on the brakes (with his left leg) pivot and race back to the bag. That's a lot harder on the knee than hitting, and showed that his knee is structurally sound.

I just think it's more of a mental thing than physical.

Canadians are soft.

...Which makes me suspicious that there is more to the injury than publicized. I have no faith in the Great Kremchek. I have had the meniscus surgery, as some on here probably have. Outpatient procedure and walking/hobbling the next morning. No way I could have played in a beer league softball game in 3 weeks, though. Maybe in 2 months.

For Votto, I'm guessing it's more mental than physical (ie) still sliding head-first. If not, he's more damaged than reported. His swing was definitely affected. Props to him for giving it a go, though.
    Last edited by Old NDN; 10-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.

He had his knee cut on.......twice.This had to effect his strength. I don't think there is such a thing as minor knee surgery, just some major surgery that is less major than others. I hope he'll be able to work strengthing it during the winter and be OK in the spring.

With all this he really should have batted lead off with Phillips in the 3

The funny thing about a Meniscus tear, is that it never really gets fixed. They can trim off any loose pieces and get it back into place, but it is never the same thereafter. With that being said, the pain should not be too much of a detractor at this point. It is probably muscle weakness in different areas of the leg. 5 Months down in Florida with a good work out routine and he should come back the same old Joey. And let's face it, nobody works harder in the the offseason than he does.

Athletes who have had knee surgery seem to say that key really is extensive rehab to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I assume that longer period of time for rehab 3-4 months without games would make a big difference.

Terry Francona did say that if a knee bothers a player, he won't shift his entire weight fromr rear leg to front leg which takes away power. Obviously, TF exactly described Joey's swing over the past month.

The one disturbing thing is that I don't think the Reds really told the truth about second knee surgery. They said it was to clean up a loss piece of cartilage floating free in the knee and also said Joey injured the knee while sliding. The two facts obviously don't add up.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 10-12-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Turn Off Ads?