Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Turing Point

The Turing Point

I know it's the day after and everyone is trying to move on. I meant to post this last night but time got away from me so here's the question. At what point in the series do you think it went from, "Alright, no team has ever came back from losing thier first two games at home", to "Oh no, no team has ever came back from losing thier first two games at home". Was it Rolen's error, Cueto's injury, Cueto's announced DL, or something else.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: The Turing Point

For me it was Mike Leake starting game 4.

Cueto's injury.

As soon as game 3 was lost I got "The Fear"

When the Reds couldn't push a run across in the 8th or 9th inning in Game 3 before Rolen's error. The Crowd was going crazy and we used Chapman already

Seems like when they announced that Cueto was off the roster the panic really set in. I think hope was held out to that point that he would be back. That said, not winning Homer's brilliant start was deflating and they never recovered.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

I knew with Cueto's injury could be in trouble if we lost game 3 since it was going to be Mike and then needing to beat Cain for the 4th time in one season when he beat everyone else 70% of the time.

When BP got thrown out at 3rd in the first I felt like we were doomed, and even after they bounced back to put one on the board I was uneasy.

They have the second best hitting team on the road in the majors so it was a matter of time until started to hit in our park so every run was critical and a big first could have taken some of the fight out early with them looking at the ultimate hole to dig out of down 2-0 and needing multiple runs on the road.

But they held us to 1 despite 4 runners and getting 2 hitters outs and they then tied it up in the 3rd without getting a hit. From that point on it felt like it was just a matter of time until they won the game and their bats work up, it took until the 10th but they did and hit .345 from the 10th of game 3 until Latos was pulled down 6-0 in 5th of game 5.

Once game 3 was lost...

I was telling people game 3 was a must win, if they didn't, it was going 5, and I didn't like our chances against Cain a 2nd time

At the end of game 3. As we walked out of the stadium, I told my daughter this is much worse than appears. Nobody on hand to pitch game 4, although most figured it would be Leake. Latos on short rest and flu-like symptoms didn't make sense. That would put Arroyo vs. Cain @ GABP. Not good, imo. No clutch hits = choke in game 3. They had a chance to put them away and didn't.

For me, and I mean this with 100% truth, it was when Phillips was thrown out at 3rd base. I was pissed at the time because I knew how important it was to get up on teams in elimination games. I just had a bad, bad, feeling about that play when it happened.

No fear in the playoffs until poseys grand slam.

For me it was the Grand Slam. At that point it seemed as if our NLCS hopes were doomed.

However, our boys didn't stop fighting. I really thought Bruce was going to save the day yesterday. Everyone felt it.

I went to all three games and I want to thank everyone who came to game 5. That crowd was easily the best one of all three games; no one lost hope or gave up. It was the best crowd I've seen at home ever and probably the loudest. What I took from this season can be summed up yesterday: the fan base is starting to love the team. Not blindly, but supportively. Fans were upset that we lost, but not upset at an individual. I think that is a huge step for the team and fan base. No one is pointing fingers for once.

Next year, no team will be hungrier than the Reds. They will feed off their anger but they won't play angry. They will remember the disappointment but we will always be proud. We are the 10th man!

i think it was the grand slam.

I was concerned w/ leake on the mound but I also had confidence we could get some runs off zito and keep the giants runs under 4 through 5 we had a decent chance of winning.

But even after the 6-0 deficit I thought we were gonna pull through just one time when we had the tying run at the plate.

I really thought Bruce was gonna send one out in the 9th to win it.

didnt happen oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    For me, and I mean this with 100% truth, it was when Phillips was thrown out at 3rd base. I was pissed at the time because I knew how important it was to get up on teams in elimination games. I just had a bad, bad, feeling about that play when it happened.
    This.

As a long-time Cincinnati sports fan, you develop a sixth-sense as far as when "the ship is about to sail."

Some cities' teams always seem to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Cincinnati teams do the opposite.

Some teams find a way.

Cincinnati teams find a way to make excuses.

With the once or twice in a lifetime exception, this is how it has always been. As a result, I have taken a much more casual approach as a home team fan.

After a while, it all seems like Groundhog Day. Starting about 5 years ago, I went from hardcore fan, to mildly interested. And it has paid dividends, in time not wasted, and money.

Example: I could have had a free ticket to yesterday's game. But I figured, "they'll probably blow it. I'll just check the score on my phone and maybe listen to the last few innings." And once again, the home team folds, and I am grateful I didn't waste my time.

My advice to any Cincinnati sports fan: Don't waste your time. From Greg Cook to Cueto, and all the Kenyon Martins, Kijana Carters, Krumries, Kimos, etc in-between... there is nothing but a mountain of heartache and a molehill of triumph waiting for you if you continue.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

After Game 3. I had a feeling that loss was going to haunt the Reds. I don't think game 3 was a must win, but it was how that game was lost. Bailey pitched an amazing game and the Giants had no business winning that one. All the momentum swung to the Giants from that point forward. Reds played tight, and unfortunately didn't loosen up until after the Posey grand-slam.

Turn Off Ads?