Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible Managerial Candidates

Retired

Re: Possible Managerial Candidates

TLR is 68, he might be considered, but I have doubts he would be interested in the job. On top of it, he didn't exactly leave St. Louis with grace, there was quite a bit of in fighting in the Cards clubhouse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Joe Torre is perfect if he is willing. Riggleman makes sense to me if not and Chris Spier also should be seriously considered. NO TLR!

I really do not want Jim Riggleman. Besides the issue of quitting on his team, he is just not a good manager either with his clubhouse or as a tactician.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Offer Baker Contract
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 12 at 11:21am CST]
    The Reds want manager Dusty Baker back for the 2013 season. General manager Walt Jocketty planned to meet with Baker and offer him a short-term contract this morning, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter).

The Reds were eliminated from the playoffs yesterday, ending a season that saw the team win 97 games and the NL Central title. Baker, who has managed the Reds since 2008, recently missed some time after suffering a mini-stroke. However, he recently said he's "not through managing," an indication that he expects to return for at least one more season.

The Reds have won the NL Central twice since Baker was hired, and their overall winning percentage for the five year period is .517. The 63-year-old earned $3.5MM per season on his first contract with Cincinnati.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm sure Dusty will be back.

If Walt wasn't happy, I wonder if he would have put some feelers out to Francona before he accepted the Indians gig. Francona is a good manager. I'm a little upset that the Indians got him (living in Columbus, I have to deal with a lot of Cleveland fans).

Dave Martinez.

Marty Brennaman

Joe Morgan. He isn't hanging out in Walts box because he needs good seats to games...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I hear Pete is gearing up for another go at baseball... He's getting a little worried that Jeter may limp past him in hits since Jeter can DH extending his career.

Seriously though I don't want a retread unless its someone with a history of success (Torre, Francona, etc) except that clown LaDrunk. I'd rather see a younger guy given a shot who can be Dusty-lite when it comes to handling the club house stuff and identify with the players but isn't afraid to go out there and yank someone in a key moment like Dusty failed to do with Latos and Leake in games 5 and 4. Basically a better in game manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I don't see any candidates mentioned that are any better than Dusty. I wouldn't consider Riggleman after he quit on the Nationals. I heard/read some things somewhere about Acta having problems getting along with a lot players while managing. No idea if that's completely true but he's not made either the Nationals or Indians any better while there. I wouldn't consider TLR unless Duncan came with him. But I think TLR has burned too many bridges along the way to get another manager job. Torre and Pinella are done managing so you can forget about them.
    If Dusty retired I would give Speier a shot. It would give the Reds continuity. The coaching staff would probably stay intact being mainly Price I would want to keep. If you go outside they are going to bring in their guys and you would probably lose Price who I think has done a tremendous job in Cincy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds To Offer Baker Contract
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 12 at 11:21am CST]
    The Reds want manager Dusty Baker back for the 2013 season. General manager Walt Jocketty planned to meet with Baker and offer him a short-term contract this morning, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter).

The Reds were eliminated from the playoffs yesterday, ending a season that saw the team win 97 games and the NL Central title. Baker, who has managed the Reds since 2008, recently missed some time after suffering a mini-stroke. However, he recently said he's "not through managing," an indication that he expects to return for at least one more season.

The Reds have won the NL Central twice since Baker was hired, and their overall winning percentage for the five year period is .517. The 63-year-old earned $3.5MM per season on his first contract with Cincinnati.
    It will be interesting to see if this is good-faith contract offer or if the "short-term" thing is code for one year, short money -- encouraging Dusty to look elsewhere so they can avoid saying they fired him.

Corky Miller should get a serious look. People have been saying he would be a good manager for years, he basically has been a player/coach for the Bats for the last 3 years.

I think any manager in baseball would jump at the chance to manage a young team loaded with talent like the Reds. If Dusty doesn't return, this job would be the most desirable opening in the league for potential candidates. This team is a manager's dream.

Dave Martinez and John Farrell would be the best candidates. Martinez is probably the top choice for every team in the league with an opening. He has thus far declined to even interview for most jobs the last couple years because he is waiting for the perfect opportunity. Jim Tracy would be near the top of my list if we can't get Martinez or Farrell.

I wouldn't consider Bryan Price because that would be enacting the Peter Principle (people who are great at a job get promoted repeatedly until they reach a job they are not so good at, then they stay there a long time. Don't do that! Keep them where they excel and pay them accordingly). Bryan Price is a great pitching coach, which is why he should stay as a pitching coach. Make him the highest paid pitching coach in the league and do whatever it takes to keep him here in Cincinnati. As I have said elsewhere, locking up Price to a long term contract should be the Reds' highest priority this offseason -- it is that important.

While it does appear that Dusty will be offered the job at least another year, I think a good option might be to promote Speier, keep Price as pitching coach, but replace Jacoby as hitting coach. I'm not that up on hitting coaches, but there has to be an upgrade out there somewhere. (Love to see a new hitting coach whether Dusty comes back or not).

I'm not saying they ought to do it, but three additional in-house options: Ken Griffey Sr. has spent a lot of time in the organization and you know he has to have his eyes on a big league manager's job. Dave Bell seems to be on a fast track and a FO favorite. Rick Sweet is still floating around the organization, isn't he?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    If Dusty leaves, considering Bob and Walt, TLR will be considered and even offered.
    If TLR is offered the job I'm becoming an Indian's fan.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?