Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible Managerial Candidates

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Possible Managerial Candidates

I know what I don't want.

I still have residual bad taste in my mouth from the Dave Miley era, so my top criteria is no minor league managers without ML experience... not from Louisville, not from anywhere.

With a fairly young team, I don't want the Reds to roll the dice on a beginner with zero managerial experience, either. That rules out Corky and Rolen.

For the same generation-gap reason, I don't want them to hire a screamer, either. That rules out Bobby Valentine and Sweet Lou.

I'm willing to sit back and see who Walt would select, and I'm hopeful it wouldn't be any of the above.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was going to throw Ryne Sandberg's name out there, but I just found out that last week the Phillies hired him as their 3rd base coach and seemingly as Charlie Manuel's future replacement.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I know what I don't want.

I still have residual bad taste in my mouth from the Dave Miley era, so my top criteria is no minor league managers without ML experience... not from Louisville, not from anywhere.

With a fairly young team, I don't want the Reds to roll the dice on a beginner with zero managerial experience, either. That rules out Corky and Rolen.

For the same generation-gap reason, I don't want them to hire a screamer, either. That rules out Bobby Valentine and Sweet Lou.

I'm willing to sit back and see who Walt would select, and I'm hopeful it wouldn't be any of the above.
    I agree. This time the Reds are in a great position if they want to hire a new manager. The team is loaded with talent and is a highly desirable place to manage. They won't have to settle for a second-rate candidate this time around.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think the offensive coordinator of the Bengals should be considered. He's innovative and could help this struggling offense. Gruden for manager.

No on Jim Tracy. He makes Dusty look like Earl Weaver.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Bring Dusty back for one more year. I doubt he wants more than that anyway. Spend 2013 evaluating future managers and giving Dusty everything he needs to go out a winner.

I wouldn't mind Speier, even if he is a little older than most beginning managers, and not just because I had a Chris Speier baseball glove back in Pony League. Would have loved to have had Francona, but that ship has sailed. I've never been sold on Jim Tracy.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd prefer if Dusty came back. But if that doesn't happen....Rick Sweet. I know they seem to be high on David Bell, but I think Sweet is the guy who deserves the next shot IMO.

I'm intrigued by the Corky Miller suggestion (as I've heard it numerous times the past 2 years), but I'd want to see what he could do it the minors first.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 10-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd prefer if Dusty came back. But if that doesn't happen....Rick Sweet. I know they seem to be high on David Bell, but I think Sweet is the guy who deserves the next shot IMO.
    Dave Miley 2.0 maybe?

Do the Reds really want to hire a guy they fired from their own AAA team?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dave Miley 2.0 maybe?

Do the Reds really want to hire a guy they fired from their own AAA team?
    IIRC they didn't FIRE him. The moved him to a different position where he could focus on teaching the catchers I think. I could be wrong though, I'm just going by memory here and that's proven to be a bad idea the past 5-10 years. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

I'm intrigued by the Corky Miller suggestion (as I've heard it numerous times the past 2 years), but I'd want to see what he could do it the minors first.
    Personally, I think they give Baker one year contracts until they think Bell is ready. He clearly is the heir apparent, it's just a matter of when they think he's ready for the bigs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don't know about manager. No idea on that front. I really want someone like Dusty clubhouse wise, but is better at the X's and O's.

I do know I want Toronto's Dwayne Murphy to be our hitting coach. I know it won't happen, but I'd really like that a lot.

Not interested in cheap, boring old retreads who have little to no history of success. Jim Tracy, Rick Sweet, and Jim Riggleman are basically Bob Boone, Dave Miley, and Jerry Narron in my opinion.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

How about trying to get Bobby Cox to manage? It's unlikely he would want to come out of retirement. It could be worth a shot that he misses managing.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Orel Hershiser, David Bell and Dave Martinez. Short list and I'd keep it that way.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    How about trying to get Bobby Cox to manage? It's unlikely he would want to come out of retirement. It could be worth a shot that he misses managing.
    A)Bobby Cox's managing from a glass half-empty standpoint: The Braves lost several postseason series during the Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz era in which they were heavily favored. Were questionable managerial decisions (Yes, I realize that it happens to all managers) a factor?

B)Bobby Cox's managing from a glass half-full standpoint: Cox got the most out of teams questionably constructed--weak bullpens, holes in lineup-- by John Schuerholz.

Is it A, B or a combination of both.

Nice out-of-box thinking, though.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?