Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Possible Managerial Candidates

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Possible Managerial Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Any insight into Bell's in-game management skills? Or do AAA managers have their hands tied too much by organizational directives to get a good indication how they perform?
    As far as in game management, I really don't think you would find David overmatched. I'd be a bit more curious about lineup development than tactics. David is a solid baseball guy. I'm just curious about overall player development.

Gauging minor league managers on W-L is awful risky. The big league teams dictate so much and really disrupt a team's ability to gel and play well together. If you went by wins and losses and championships, Mark Berry would be the manager of this team. He was an "up and coming" minor league manager until Jack McKeon pulled him up and made him a bullpen catcher/extra coach. I actually think that ruined his career path. Just my opinion.

If you watch closely this year, Arnie Beyeler who won the IL championship probably won't even get a sniff this year. Trey Hillman is a good case study.

Picking managers is a real crap shoot. Honestly, there might not be a more intelligent and resourceful baseball guy on any staff than Tony Pena. He had his shot and its unlikely he'll receive another. Mattingly was lucky to be on a staff where he could learn the ropes from 2 of the best in Torre and Zimmer. Willie Randolph sure rode the Yankees success into a job he was not equipped to handle. Same thing with Mazzilli.

Bud Black, Roenicke, and Maddon all had the great fortune of paying their dues in some respect as well as being on Mike Scioscia's staff.

I like Mike Matheny. You're not going to trick the guy. He's calm, calculated and handles his clubhouse. He didn't need to go to A ball to prove that to anyone. Ventura is the same way. What would he need to prove? Those guys were the right fit for their club.

Pete Rose was a decent manager. I can't imagine Pete learning much about baseball or managing in the minors.

There's a lot I like about Dusty. There's stuff I don't like. What REALLY bothers me is the team's inability to make adjustments at the plate. It just kills this team. The Reds were fortunate that the NL Central was a flat out joke. They picked up a lot of wins that really made them shine. No one can argue that the stretch of games they played while Votto was out was great to watch but when they faced tough teams, it seemed to me they struggled.

How many times do you have to watch Stubbs, Frazier, Phillips, Cozart have the SAME AT BATS over and over and over. Once the league caught on that Frazier has trouble with the ball away and breaking ball down..... Cooked. Every at bat for Stubbs is a carbon copy of the one before. Phillips is so talented he gets away with murder. He can be duped easily but he also knows what he can jump on. Thank god he has that figured out. Cozart gets a pass this year.

These issues fall solely on the hitting coach. This is his responsibility. Preparation and the ability to work through adjustments. If you don't make adjustments in the Major Leagues you will not stick around. Jacoby needs to be replaced before Dusty goes, IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    As far as in game management, I really don't think you would find David overmatched. I'd be a bit more curious about lineup development than tactics. David is a solid baseball guy. I'm just curious about overall player development.

Gauging minor league managers on W-L is awful risky. The big league teams dictate so much and really disrupt a team's ability to gel and play well together. If you went by wins and losses and championships, Mark Berry would be the manager of this team. He was an "up and coming" minor league manager until Jack McKeon pulled him up and made him a bullpen catcher/extra coach. I actually think that ruined his career path. Just my opinion.

If you watch closely this year, Arnie Beyeler who won the IL championship probably won't even get a sniff this year. Trey Hillman is a good case study.

Picking managers is a real crap shoot. Honestly, there might not be a more intelligent and resourceful baseball guy on any staff than Tony Pena. He had his shot and its unlikely he'll receive another. Mattingly was lucky to be on a staff where he could learn the ropes from 2 of the best in Torre and Zimmer. Willie Randolph sure rode the Yankees success into a job he was not equipped to handle. Same thing with Mazzilli.

Bud Black, Roenicke, and Maddon all had the great fortune of paying their dues in some respect as well as being on Mike Scioscia's staff.

I like Mike Matheny. You're not going to trick the guy. He's calm, calculated and handles his clubhouse. He didn't need to go to A ball to prove that to anyone. Ventura is the same way. What would he need to prove? Those guys were the right fit for their club.

Pete Rose was a decent manager. I can't imagine Pete learning much about baseball or managing in the minors.

There's a lot I like about Dusty. There's stuff I don't like. What REALLY bothers me is the team's inability to make adjustments at the plate. It just kills this team. The Reds were fortunate that the NL Central was a flat out joke. They picked up a lot of wins that really made them shine. No one can argue that the stretch of games they played while Votto was out was great to watch but when they faced tough teams, it seemed to me they struggled.

How many times do you have to watch Stubbs, Frazier, Phillips, Cozart have the SAME AT BATS over and over and over. Once the league caught on that Frazier has trouble with the ball away and breaking ball down..... Cooked. Every at bat for Stubbs is a carbon copy of the one before. Phillips is so talented he gets away with murder. He can be duped easily but he also knows what he can jump on. Thank god he has that figured out. Cozart gets a pass this year.

These issues fall solely on the hitting coach. This is his responsibility. Preparation and the ability to work through adjustments. If you don't make adjustments in the Major Leagues you will not stick around. Jacoby needs to be replaced before Dusty goes, IMO.
    Do you have any idea why hitters are getting so good when they end up in Toronto? Is it coaching? Sign stealing in the OF? Something "extra" in the trainers room?

I still don't know why Brooks Jacoby has immunity and why Chris Chambliss got fired for the bats going dormant at the end of 06.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. It seems like we've had so many guys come up, succeed, and then regress to varying degrees when the "book" gets out. Cozart began to resemble Janish the second half, Stubbs never did make it back, and even Bruce, for all the worlds of talent, is a career .255 hitter now. Maybe this is normal, but I feel like it's a little odd that I'm wondering how Frazier might regress next season instead of expecting him to improve. (I say this with the exception of Votto because something tells me I could've coached that guy to an MVP)

Gotta admit, I'm kinda hoping Dusty is pining to manage the Dodgers and that the feeling is quite mutual. I like Martinez a lot. Dusty or no Dusty, I agree that it's tme for Brooks to move on.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Do you have any idea why hitters are getting so good when they end up in Toronto? Is it coaching? Sign stealing in the OF? Something "extra" in the trainers room?
    Has to be the Ginger Ale....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still don't know why Brooks Jacoby has immunity and why Chris Chambliss got fired for the bats going dormant at the end of 06.
    He's one of "Dusty's guys" and you know those guys are untouchable.

It practically took an act of Congress to get Corey Patterson out of here.

Is there any doubt at all that Scott Rolen is the starting 3B, Drew Stubbs is the starting CF and Miguel Cairo is back on the bench next year if Dusty has his way?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    He's one of "Dusty's guys" and you know those guys are untouchable.

It practically took an act of Congress to get Corey Patterson out of here.

Is there any doubt at all that Scott Rolen is the starting 3B, Drew Stubbs is the starting CF and Miguel Cairo is back on the bench next year if Dusty has his way?
    I actually think Drew is gone by everyone's preference by next year. Being pinch hit for in his last AB was an eye opener.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    No on Jim Tracy. He makes Dusty look like Earl Weaver.
    Based on what? I follow the Reds and Rockies more than any other team. Dusty seriously makes 10 questionable decisions for every 1 that Tracy makes.
    Stick to your guns.

Maybe after last night's 9th inning meltdown the Nat's FO will fire Davey and we can hire him?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Lou Pinella. What better situation to come out of retirement?
    Lou lost that fire in his belly. No Thanks.

I do like the Martinez suggestion.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If TLR is offered the job I'm becoming an Indian's fan.
    That's what you said about Dusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Larry. Dierker.

Turn Off Ads?