Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
Why? Because I asked you a question you don't want to answer?

So do you believe the manager has no input regarding which players on are his team? I believe they do.

It sounds like some people want to give Dusty credit for the players who performed well, but the blame for the bad players goes to Walt Jocketty.
Do you ever stop to think maybe you're being a little hostile about the Dusty situation, and it's getting on people's nerves? No he's not a perfect manager. Fine, you want a change. Many do. But do you really think, with a different manager, things would've been any different? He doesn't make a dramatic difference. But I don't believe he hurts the team. You can cite all the negatives, many of them which I won't disagree with. But I can cite just as many positives. At worst, he's neutral.

I respect you as a poster, never had a problem with you. And still don't. But you're showing little respect for a man, IMO, that deserves more than his fair share.

Of course the manager has some input with players. But do you really think Walt would sign off on it if he disagreed? Dusty gives input, but the bottom line is Walt decides. Dusty can only put the guys on the field that he's given. Lineup construction an issue? We won 97 games. Look at this roster. Can you see us squeezing out that many more wins with what we have? For all the whining people do about the crap players we have and how much they play, we STILL won 97 games. Dusty deserves no credit for that?

Be careful what you wish for, my friend. A new manager is likely to leave you shaking your head and muttering yourself just the same. Yankee fans complained about Torre. Braves fans about Cox. Cardinals fans about LaRussa. Everyone has their flaws.