Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty: Hamilton "Possibly" a Septmeber Call-up

Dusty: Hamilton "Possibly" a Septmeber Call-up

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ember-call-up/

“Possibly,” Baker said. “Speed’s always an asset. Speed kills. I remember the Cardinals with Willie McGee, Vince Coleman and Ozzie (Smith). Man. That was their slogan, speed kills.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty: Hamilton "Possibly" a Septmeber Call-up

In theory it's not the WORST idea, but I feel like you could find a really fast guy on the market that wouldn't start Hamilton's clock or rush his development.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'm sure that has been answered 100 times, but does calling him up in Septmeber start his clock or burn an option year? Also, is it possible for him to be called up in September and still be on the playoff roster?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't know about the arb clock but as long as you are on the roster by September 1, you are playoff elegible unless there is a DL stint involved.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I'm not opposed to it, though odds are against his base running being a difference maker in a month's worth of games.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I don't know about the arb clock but as long as you are on the roster by September 1, you are playoff elegible unless there is a DL stint involved.
    He'd have to be up August 31st to be playoff roster elligbile. Calling him up the 31st burns an option year for sure. Really, what I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to get him on the playoff roster without burning an option. I think september callups doesn't burn an option, but I'm not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm sure that has been answered 100 times, but does calling him up in Septmeber start his clock or burn an option year? Also, is it possible for him to be called up in September and still be on the playoff roster?
    I'm not sure that it does start his clock or burn an option year (which might not matter that much anyway). Pretty sure he'll have to be added to the 40 man roster though.

My understanding is that he has to be added to the team before September 1 to be eligible for the playoffs unless he's replacing an injured player.

I think if they bring him up in September, then the service time does count while he's up.
    If he's on the roster all of september, then 2012 does not count as an option year.
    However, since he was added in 2012, they would have to option him in 2013 to the minors.

So, it does not burn an option in 2012, but it does in 2013.
    If the Reds do not call Billy up in 2012, I am not sure if he has to be optioned in 2013 or not.. It all depends on age and service time in the minors.
    Now maybe Billy has enough service time where they are forced to use options on him in 2013, whether he's called up or not.. Don't know on that one.

Not a complete answer, but hopefully someone will jump in to fill in the gaps. You can always count on Redszone to correct wrong information . (This was said in a joking fun tone, please no one be offended)

Not 100% sure if they call him up in late August and keep him up all year if that burns an option or not.. but I think it does.. The September thing is a special exception to encourage clubs to call up prospects without penalty.

Another edit: I think the chance of Billy being on the playoff roster is zero.
    Dusty is going to be loyal to the players that got him there.
    He's not going to drop Leake/Homer/or Arroyo for another position player off the bench. Honestly, I'm glad Dusty is like that. I always thought it sucked that Bobby Cox would drop a player that was on the roster all year for a 3rd catcher for the playoffs.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 08-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm sure that has been answered 100 times, but does calling him up in September start his clock or burn an option year? Also, is it possible for him to be called up in September and still be on the playoff roster?
    Hamilton needs to be on the 40 man roster by Aug 31 at 11:59pm to be eligible for the postseason roster. His service time accrued would count towards his arbitration clock. They would not use an option unless they added him to the 40 man and did not call him up to the majors, which would be silly. So no options would be used this season. He would be forced to start burning options in 2013. Which would mean he must be in the majors for good by 2016.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-10-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

My simple answer would be yes to both.

I think there is a way to get a guy who has been called up after Sept. 1st on your playoff roster.

As for burning an option, if Billy Hamilton is as good as many think then his options shouldn't really matter.

I would be shocked if they brought him up just because it does start all of his financial clocks in motion. Back in the day before arbitration,free agency and all he would be brought up in September and gain some valuable MLB experience. Maybe make a difference in a game or two with his speed. But you just can't do that anymore.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would be shocked if they brought him up just because it does start all of his financial clocks in motion. Back in the day before arbitration,free agency and all he would be brought up in September and gain some valuable MLB experience. Maybe make a difference in a game or two with his speed. But you just can't do that anymore.
    Options aside, you can start and stop the financial clock. I'm ok with it...at worst he would have to be up to stay in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think there is a way to get a guy who has been called up after Sept. 1st on your playoff roster.
    There are two stipulations. The player must be on the 40 man roster on Aug 31, or if given a stupendous amount of injury attrition on the 40 man roster, the player must have been in the organization on Aug 31. After the regular season ends changes must be pitcher for pitcher, or position player for position player.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'm all for bringing him up and giving him a shot to fix the leadoff spot. I don't know a ton about his defense but I'd be ok seeing him play SS and leadoff until late in the game and then bring Cozart in. Unless of course he is a butcher at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think that's the one thing I got right. If a player on the team becomes injured in September they can bring up Hamilton to replace him on the playoff roster.

Turn Off Ads?