Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So What Caused Cueto's Oblique Strain?

So What Caused Cueto's Oblique Strain?

I apologize if this has been written about somewhere else -- but I never felt I got the complete story as to what caused Johnny Cueto to have an oblique strain. Was it from the plane ride to SF? Was it Angel Pagan's (illegal) timeout? Something else like a second shooter paid for by Bud Selig?
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So What Caused Cueto's Oblique Strain?

I heard he felt it warming up but tried to push through.......

Regardless, everyone know to THROW THE PITCH even if the batter calls timeout.

Throwing the most pitches he's ever thrown in a season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Likely will never get the complete answer because little things like that are hard to pinpoint.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Fart crosswise.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Dusty. He destroys young pitchers. Known fact.

He strained it wooing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Fart crosswise.
    It's always funny until somebody pulls an oblique.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I wonder if his (relatively) new pitching dleivery combined with extra innings contributed?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Where did this damn injury come from in the first place.Never heard of it back in the 60's and 70's or the 80's for that matter.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Stat geek...and proud

Sure you did. They just called it an abdominal strain. But, there's more than one part of your abdominal area, so it's just more accurate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Likely will never get the complete answer because little things like that are hard to pinpoint.
    Yep. Numerous situations can cause it. I've been off work for the last several days due to a pinched sciatic nerve in my upper back that also has nerves running into the neck and down the left arm. Very, very painful. How'd I do it? Don't know. Went to bed Wednesday night feeling fine, woke up at 1 AM in intense pain. The Dr told me I obviously, while sleeping, got my back in a very awkward, twisting, position which causes the muscles to react/try to correct.

Now with Cueto this was reported....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Normally for pitchers, oblique injuries are on the non-throwing side, from where they get their power. Since Cueto is right-handed, that would usually mean a left oblique injury. But Cueto has a funky delivery during which he twists away from the plate.

"That's why when it first happened, we were trying to figure out what was going on, because it didn't make sense to be a same-side oblique," Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said.
    I got this from a health/fitness website.....

The oblique muscles are considered part of the abdominal muscles. They are located between the ribs and the pelvis and make up the waist. The obliques help the trunk to rotate and bend. There are the external obliques which are large muscles close to the surface of the skin. The internal obliques are deeper and situated right below the external obliques. These muscles can become strained due to a direct blow to the waist area, from overuse or forceful twisting and bending motions.
    I'd say Johnny's funky delivery, as well as wear and tear of the season, led to it. It just finally caught up to him. A freaky situation.... and bad luck for us.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-16-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Where did this damn injury come from in the first place.Never heard of it back in the 60's and 70's or the 80's for that matter.
    Players today are in far better physical shape, for the most part, then back then. Far less body fat, more muscle.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Players today are in far better physical shape, for the most part, then back then. Far less body fat, more muscle.
    I think players back in the 60's,70's and 80's had similar. They just called it a pulled muscle in the side or ribcage. Players would go on the 15 day or 21 day DL more often than not. I do think you see this more today because of all the training these guys do year around.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Tony LaRussa with a Voodoo doll.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?