Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds to offer Baker a contract

Re: Reds to offer Baker a contract

I am not really surprised they would bring back Jacoby. He is only an extension of what Dusty wants in a hitting philosophy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I am not really surprised they would bring back Jacoby. He is only an extension of what Dusty wants in a hitting philosophy.
    I can't think of a hitter that's progressed in his hitting acumen on this team since Jacoby arrived.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I can't think of a hitter that's progressed in his hitting acumen on this team since Jacoby arrived.
    I'm not a Jacoby fan, but I don't think that's an entirely fair statement. He's been given a lot of guys with very poor track records that nobody could help. Frazier surprised this year, Ludwick turned his career around, Voto went from a good hitter to arguably the best in the NL, Bruce continues to progress. If we're going to blame him for a lot of the failures, he also deserves some credit.

I would like to see a change, but I want to see a change in philosophy more than anything. It's a broader problem than just Jacoby.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm not a Jacoby fan, but I don't think that's an entirely fair statement. He's been given a lot of guys with very poor track records that nobody could help. Frazier surprised this year, Ludwick turned his career around, Voto went from a good hitter to arguably the best in the NL, Bruce continues to progress. If we're going to blame him for a lot of the failures, he also deserves some credit.

I would like to see a change, but I want to see a change in philosophy more than anything. It's a broader problem than just Jacoby.
    I don't know if he would want to do it because he has a pretty good gig at MLB but "The Mayor" Sean Casey could rake! Lifetime .300 hitter. I would love his enthusiasm and positive attitude on the beach. He had a great work ethic, and would work day and night with the hitters if ask too. He would have instant respect and credibility as a hitting coach.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I don't know if he would want to do it because he has a pretty good gig at MLB but "The Mayor" Sean Casey could rake! Lifetime .300 hitter. I would love his enthusiasm and positive attitude on the beach. He had a great work ethic, and would work day and night with the hitters if ask too. He would have instant respect and credibility as a hitting coach.
    I could get on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I could get on board with that.
    He batted left handed, I think he could turn Bruce into a MVP candidate.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Upgrade for sure
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

This would be a complete bust. Look at another team in our division that hired an ex-star of theirs to be hitting coach even though he had very little experience with it....Cardinals and Mark McGwire
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This would be a complete bust. Look at another team in our division that hired an ex-star of theirs to be hitting coach even though he had very little experience with it....Cardinals and Mark McGwire
    I don't know if I follow your logic. The Cards have brought along youngsters David Freese and Alan Craig with McGwire as hitting coach.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Someone with Sean Casey's hitting style should never be teaching hitting, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Someone with Sean Casey's hitting style should never be teaching hitting, IMO.
    Yep and golly gee he'd have a hard time climbing up a guys butt and well gee, he'd think everyone would come around eventually

‏@Reds
    #Reds extend Dusty's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014. Press conference at 3:00 at GABP.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Gosh damnit.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep and golly gee he'd have a hard time climbing up a guys butt and well gee, he'd think everyone would come around eventually
    If not a nice hug would make it all better.

Oh I should stop, he is a nice guy and signs autographs afterall.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It is being reported Baker's contract is extended for 2 years.

3:00 press conference at GABP.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?