Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wonder what the players think now...

I wonder what the players think now...

The Reds have been prone to moments of early self-congratulation for a while now. They came cruising back into town critical of the fans for not being supportive, for not recognizing something "special was happening" with this team, for being suspicious of the success of this team. Looks like the fans were right. I wonder if there is any self-inventory going on right now, and that they realize most of the us-against-them attitude players have is a bunch of negative bunk. I hope they do feel the extent of this failure-they need to as professional athletes who have a little growing up to do. While they have become kings of the NL Central, they are the jokes of the playoffs.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: I wonder what the players think now...

Tracy Jones said on the radio today that us fans care more than the players do. He said by now, they've moved on, and are figuring out their vacations. He said they probably thought about the loss for about an hour or so, and that was it. They don't dwell on it. They're getting paid either way.

Now, this is Tracy Jones. It's no secret that he sometimes says things on the radio to stir the pot. He also played the game, so maybe there's something to it.

I think it depends on the player, and their experience in the game. I would think a Ryan Ludwick is going to handle it differently than a Todd Frazier....

Dallas Latos tweeted something earlier about it, saying whoever said that on the radio should call Mat and tell him that, because it isn't true. He still feels really bad about what happened.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Carson Palmer said when he watched the stupidly lucky Steelers win the Super Bowl after the 2005 season, he wanted to throw up.

I wonder if any of the Reds feel that way tonight about the Cardinals?

Tracy Jones believes that because he was a ballplayer and is a selfish, greedy, arrogant blowhard, it must follow that all ballplayers are selfish, greedy, arrogant blowhards.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not sure Tracy the ballplayer and Tracy the radio personality talk anymore.

Sure there are those who will process this and move on, just like with the fans. There are other ball players who will carry this all winter.

They are people. It will affect each differently.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    The Reds have been prone to moments of early self-congratulation for a while now.
    I've seen no evidence of that.

I highly doubt Joey Votto has moved on from this.

In regards to your "us against them" assertion, I saw or read nothing to suggest this coming from the players. Jay Bruce's comment was certainly not suggestive of some sort of grudge, or chip on the shoulder towards the fans. He merely made an observation about how tough we can be as a fan base because we've had our hearts torn out so often.

Wow. If Rosecrans intended to vilify both the fan base and one of the team's biggest contributors with one series of paragraphs, he sure hit the mark.

People with initials for first names always seem like jerks.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the players will be miserable about this for awhile. It's a long offseason.

But losing like they did could be just what these guys need.

I've felt for awhile that they needed a wake up call and they got it. It's what they do from here on out that will define them.

I have never cared for C. Trent. Seems far to smug for my liking plus I always hated the pedistal he was put on here at Redszone while working for the Post.

I digress....

There is no way the players aren't still thinking about it. Are they dwelling on it like we as fans? Probably not. I doubt it's consuming them. Baseball players are athletes. Baseball players are men. Athletes and men are competitive by nature. If you're not, you're in the wrong business. I think it will be on thier minds for a week or so but then thier focus will shift to relaxation and recovery in order to get ready for Spring Training which will be here before we know it.

I think it will be on the collective mind of Redszone for the next calendar year. The measuring stick, at least to me, is now the NLCS. This team has proven it can win the division and that is wonderful. But it now officially means nothing if we are going to bow out in the NLDS every year. Until this team wins a playoff series, this will always be the focal point.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I have never cared for C. Trent. Seems far to smug for my liking plus I always hated the pedistal he was put on here at Redszone while working for the Post.

I digress....

There is no way the players aren't still thinking about it. Are they dwelling on it like we as fans? Probably not. I doubt it's consuming them. Baseball players are athletes. Baseball players are men. Athletes and men are competitive by nature. If you're not, you're in the wrong business. I think it will be on thier minds for a week or so but then thier focus will shift to relaxation and recovery in order to get ready for Spring Training which will be here before we know it.

I think it will be on the collective mind of Redszone for the next calendar year. The measuring stick, at least to me, is now the NLCS. This team has proven it can win the division and that is wonderful. But it now officially means nothing if we are going to bow out in the NLDS every year. Until this team wins a playoff series, this will always be the focal point.
    The Reds could win 111 games next summer and there will be doubts going into the NLDS. That's the reality this team has created right now.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Reds could win 111 games next summer and there will be doubts going into the NLDS. That's the reality this team has created right now.
    Yep.

"Every head is a different world" is a saying we like in Spanish ("Cada cabeza es un mundo"), but you have to think that the players are shell-shocked and going through the stages of grief like the fans are. Probably worse, since they can't exteriorize the blame as well.

Baseball is their life for about 9 months of the year. It's a hard switch to turn off.

Unfortunately this experience is going to mess with their heads if they make it to the playoffs again.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I've seen no evidence of that.
    Read the articles, MLB, Enquirer, and others where players are quoted during off day after the SF games.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Haunted by walks

The Reds' best starting pitcher (at the time) gave up a grand slam in the final game of the series, but the offense got that back, including two runners on in every inning since the fourth. It wasn't enough, but maybe it was holes in the lineup, not lack of effort.

Why are so many people piling on around here? It was a great season. Fact. So we lost in the playoffs, and it stung. Get over it. The 70 Reds lost in the World Series. So did the 72 Reds. The 71 Reds sucked. The 73 and 74 Reds fell short. And you know what? They won back to back titles in 75 and 76. Thank God Redszone wasn't around back then, Sparky would've been run out of town with pitchforks by 75.

The players handle it better because they aren't prone to hyperbolic thinking. They know they tried their best. They know that there's also a tomorrow. They think rationally. Unlike internet message boards.

Remember... when you point a finger at someone the other four fingers are pointing at you.

Turn Off Ads?