Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off season topic: What to do with Chapman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Off season topic: What to do with Chapman

Many Reds fans want to see Chapman in the starting rotation.
    - that is why the Reds signed him, to start
    - the general feeling is that starters have more 'value' than even the best closer
    - Chapman, if a #1/#2 type starter would give the Reds one of the best rotations in baseball (along with Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo)
    - Many baseball 'experts' agree that a balanced starting rotation has at least one lefty (see Chapman)

While many of us would like to see Chapman in the starting rotation, it seems to be a fair consensus that given his success as a closer this past season, the Reds are likely to leave him in that role.

Q1. If the Reds were to move Chapman to the starting rotation, come next August / September would they not be faced with the same situation that the Nationals just had with Strasburg, re; innings count?

Q2. If you start a pitcher out as a reliever, it is very difficult to switch him to the rotation mid-season, but wouldn't be easier to take a starter to the bullpen?

Personally I don't think the Reds are likely to make a change in Chapman's role. He did too good a job at closing. Walt will say "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it."

Your thoughts?

Re: Off season topic: What to do with Chapman

I think Chapman stays in the bullpen. And I also think you will only see cosmetic changes with this club over the winter.

We need a lefthanded starter in the rotation and it should be Chapman. Broxton, Hoover and co. can do the job out of the pen.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Keep Chappy as closer. He could be good/great for many yrs ahead...like mariano.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Should continue as closer, IMO.

Probably the biggest reason team won 97.

And several reasons why moving him to starter could back-fire.

Not ever trying him as a starter is a colossal mistake....not saying when, but I'd have to try it.

Convert him in preseason and let him start thru about June......then move him to the pen....whatever, but starter is way more important than closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Not ever trying him as a starter is a colossal mistake....not saying when, but I'd have to try it.

Convert him in preseason and let him start thru about June......then move him to the pen....whatever, but starter is way more important than closer.
    I just can't see him going that long without hurting himself & ruining his career or getting wild...Sure is nice having a shut down closer...Always so envious of the Yanks having 'Rivera' just no way anyone had a chance....That is huge....

I wonder if Chapman would have the stamina to pitch as a starter? I'd like to see them try him, but with his velocity and throwing action, would he be able to consistently go 6-7 innings?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I wonder if Chapman would have the stamina to pitch as a starter? I'd like to see them try him, but with his velocity and throwing action, would he be able to consistently go 6-7 innings?
    Legit question. I also think he'd be lucky to go 6 or 7 considering his relative lack of control and the lack of contact hitters make against him.

As it is, batters swing at a lot of stuff out of the zone because they're psyched up facing him. If/when he starts, I think they're going to be much more patient and his pitch counts are going to prevent him from going deep in games. Then when you factor in that he would only pitch once every five games, I think it's a no-brainer.

I used to think he should start, but I'm completely against it now.

I think alot will depend on Madsen....Is he still leaning toward committing, or leaving? Thought I heard he would love to stay, and willing to work on a deal. If he leaves, Chapman remains as closer. Sign Madsen, and Chappy moves to rotation, much like he was slated, at the end of this past spring.

How can we ever know?

Who was hands down our best starter in spring training?

There just isn't any harm in seeing if he is Randy Johnson....or David Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    How can we ever know?

Who was hands down our best starter in spring training?

There just isn't any harm in seeing if he is Randy Johnson....or David Price.
    No harm at all...Since he's one of a kind just makes me nervous...I guess I want to protect hat 'golden arm'...

Trade him to the Yankees for A-Rod

Quote Originally Posted by birdsonthebat View Post
    Trade him to the Yankees for A-Rod
    OUCH

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaPreps View Post
    Many Reds fans want to see Chapman in the starting rotation.
    - that is why the Reds signed him, to start
    - the general feeling is that starters have more 'value' than even the best closer
    - Chapman, if a #1/#2 type starter would give the Reds one of the best rotations in baseball (along with Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo)
    - Many baseball 'experts' agree that a balanced starting rotation has at least one lefty (see Chapman)

While many of us would like to see Chapman in the starting rotation, it seems to be a fair consensus that given his success as a closer this past season, the Reds are likely to leave him in that role.

Q1. If the Reds were to move Chapman to the starting rotation, come next August / September would they not be faced with the same situation that the Nationals just had with Strasburg, re; innings count?

Q2. If you start a pitcher out as a reliever, it is very difficult to switch him to the rotation mid-season, but wouldn't be easier to take a starter to the bullpen?

Personally I don't think the Reds are likely to make a change in Chapman's role. He did too good a job at closing. Walt will say "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it."

Your thoughts?

I would like to see Chapman as a starter. Look at verlander during game 5 vs the A's. He shut down the opposition.

I truly think that Chapman could develop into a similar pitcher like Verlander. If he develops a few more pitches during the offseason he could truly be a perennial all star, and 15-20 game winner.

A closer is indeed important, but you have to ask? What is more valuable, 200 innings of a starter, or 70/80 innings of a closer?

Plus a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, and Arroyo pretty much equates to the Phillies rotation of Lee, Hamels, and Halladay IMO.

Turn Off Ads?