Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem with bringing Rolen back

The problem with bringing Rolen back

First of all, I like Scott Rolen, I really do.

I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

The problem(s) with bringing Rolen back

1) He can only play one position. Most 'bench' guys can play multiple positions

2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

What do others think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaPreps View Post

I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

What do others think?
    He won't get resigned..at least not with the reds. He'll probably retire, unless he really wants to play some more baseball, than I can see a team like the yankees or astros pick him up for whatever reason.

But I think it's all moot. He know's he's done. Which is a good thing imo

The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...to-retire.html

I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...to-retire.html

I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby
    Me too...

No interest whatsoever in seeing him return in any role. If Dusty returns and Rolen is on the roster he will get way too much pt. He is nothing but a mediocre player offensively and average defensively at this stage. Time to move on.

Would love to see him get into coaching.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaPreps View Post

What do others think?
    1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.

Agree with the others here...

I'd love to have him back.

...to replace Brook Jacoby.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.
    Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???

"The problem with bringing Rolen back"

-another year of Viva La Vida

I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Agree with the others here...

I'd love to have him back.

...to replace Brook Jacoby.
    + 1
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    "The problem with bringing Rolen back"

-another year of Viva La Vida
    Amen, brother.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player

Oh, come on, dude. You know he taught the club how to win the game he invented (sincerest apologies to redsrolen).

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???
    I'll give it a shot, Magdal. Cincinnati management and fans just aren't as obsessed with winning championships as St. Louis management and fans are.

We just love a good narrative. Rolen as the embodiment of blue-collar All-American work ethic seems to play well here.

Turn Off Ads?