Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Just saw Mike Matheny on MLB & I know what the Cardinals have!!!

Re: Just saw Mike Matheny on MLB & I know what the Cardinals have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Every fan bases has jackasses and im sorry the cardinal a holes trolling your boards. I have seen it and called them out on it too. You just give them credence by responding to them. Also seeing how much you post about stats i can tell you are a big sabre metrics guy. Sabre metrics can get you into the playoffs but it doesn't win championships. What wins World series is people stepping up when there name is called and thats what the cardinals have been doing.

The reason the nats lost is because Davey Johnson let Storen, who had pitched the two previous days, walk the bases loaded and still left him in.

Finally, just be careful how you generalize a city with 3 million people. On other threads on here reds fans chastise the cardinals for having a huge pay roll. Which they do, if i remember correctly its the 9th largest. St. Louis is the 22nd largest media market in the country. The only reason they can spend that kind of money is because every single person in the greater st louis area bleeds cardinals red. The greater cinci area is not that much smaller than st louis's, yet your amazing reds fans were 16th! this year in attendance when you were, in my opinion, hands down the best team in baseball. Fenway park only holds 35,000 people and the redsox finished 30 games below .500 yet they still finished 6 places ahead of the reds in attendance when the reds stadium holds 45,000 people and the reds finshed the season over 20 games above .500
    Nice post, but one big correction.

St. Louis has always had a much bigger market than Cincinnati. It's because there really were no other MLB teams west of the Mississippi for so long, and because of the strength of KMOX, which reaches dozens of states. There are Cardinal fans all over the Midwest, in states like Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, etc. The Cardinals were the Yankees of the NL for quite awhile. The Cardinal nation is huge.

According to this site, Cards are 21st biggest media market and Cincinnati is 35th.

http://www.sportstvjobs.com/resource...sizes-dma.html

And the Saint Louis metroplolitan arena is much bigger than Cincinnati's, it's around 1 million people bigger, around 3M to 2M.

Their market is bigger, their fan base is bigger and the number of people driving distance of them is bigger.
    Last edited by JayStubbs; 10-15-2012 at 01:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

While you are right about the cardinals fan base being very large in area and population you have under evaluated the size of your fan base. One cannot forget that louisville only an hour and a half from cinci which basically makes them twin cities and and if you count louisville the cincy louisville metro area is around 4 million. You also split indianapolis with the cubs and columbus with the indians. The only other city of size that are cards fans is memphis. Because of the rockies the cards no longer control the mountain and west and because of the braves moving to atlants they lost much of the south too.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-15-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Salukifan2

and i need to start spell checking my posts. Ohio is a massivley populated state. just because cincy itself isn't that big doesn't mean their arent enough fans to draw nightly for louisville, dayton, columbus, and indy
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-15-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    While you are right about the cardinals fan base being very large in area and population you have under evaluated the size of your fan base. One cannot forget that louisville only an hour and a half from cinci which basically makes them twin cities and and if you count louisville the cincy louisville metro area is around 4 million. You also split indianapolis with the cubs and columbus with the indians. The only other city of size that are cards fans is memphis. Because of the rockies the cards no longer control the mountain and west and because of the braves moving to atlants they lost much of the south too.
    If you start adding cities over an hour drive away, you would drive up St. Louis' number as well. Not so many big cities like Louisville, but plenty of small towns that add millions overall.

I will admit that St. Louis is more of a baseball town than Cincinnati, always has been. But it's always been bigger as well.

Salukifan2

perhaps reds and cardinal fans differ there. Because i live two hours from st louis and drive to cardinal games on week nights frequently and so do so many others. Also, i think that since the reds had that really bad down period for almost twenty years they may have lost those fans that drive from those cities. but if they keep playing like they did in '10 and '12 they will come back. Additionally, for the sake of the NL central the reds need to stay strong. Though houston has been down recently i think losing them from the division makes the NL central less competitive. We should have let the AL have pittsburgh jkjk
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-15-2012 at 02:27 AM.

You just answered why the Cards have more fans at games, back before TV was big people listen to the games on KMOX and the build a massive regional fan following. With gas prices and economy and the growing amount of TV programming and internet that massive fan base is going to slowly die out.

This map is a good gauge on how the Cards fanbase is more than the St Louis market.

This is almost exclusively due to old school radio listen habits programing a couple generations, as the Rams and Blues have major attendance issues unless the team is playing great.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    Never, I will never give credit to cheaters and whiners.

However, I will agree that I should have said, "mainly" instead of "only" with regards to the Braves game, the Braves played terribly too. I do stand by the fact that they don't make the playoffs without the rule change or beat the Nat's if Strasberg was on the postseason roster.
    I will give you they only made it because of the new playoff format, but it is what it is now and we must live by it. I also will give you that not having Strasburg had an effect on that series, but I think it's wrong to say that it was the reason they Nats lost. This woulda been his 1st postseason appearance and you never know. I guess we will have to agree to disagree tho man.

Not saying you are, but I think many on here are using their hatred of the Cardinals as a coping mechanism for what happened with our Reds. I understand it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by birdsonthebat View Post
    What exactly is a Red?
    I am guessing a good answer is someone who is a fan of their own favorite team and isn't such a poor sport they troll other teams sites when their team is still playing? I would say you are an embarrassment to real Cardinals fans but it seems many of you troll, so maybe the “good” fans are embarrassment’s to you trolls?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    You just answered why the Cards have more fans at games, back before TV was big people listen to the games on KMOX and the build a massive regional fan following. With gas prices and economy and the growing amount of TV programming and internet that massive fan base is going to slowly die out.

This map is a good gauge on how the Cards fanbase is more than the St Louis market.

This is almost exclusively due to old school radio listen habits programing a couple generations, as the Rams and Blues have major attendance issues unless the team is playing great.
    But look at that map. I love missouri, but sadly i live in communist red illinois, and youre right it is the meth capital of the world. Look at the map your just showed me. The entire thing except for st. louis is completely rural wit the exceptions being Memphis and little rock. Unfortunately both those cities are too far away for fans to come just for one night. the only time people come from those towns is for a weekend series so they aren't a constant draw like louisville, dayton, indy, and columbus can be

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    Just saw Mike Matheny on MLB & it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! Did you witness their dugout?? I sure did & we don't have one bit of it.....I saw Carpenter, Schumaker & later Wainwright when he was out of the lineup with nonstop cheering, greeting each player, back slaps...you know the whole bit...
    Matheny said he'd never seen anything like it....It was like a HS football locker room...He said instead of Wainwright hanging his head he was up cheering like crazy...He said they have a never say die attitude....I know what your thinking, we make alot of comebacks...sure we do...to what teams?? great teams?? Sure some, if someone strings some hits together...Our M.O. is sit by yourself or next to one guy & everyone just hopes...no chatter at all....Sure I believe Frazier will be great for this but we need a couple more....This to me is the answer....Winners don't know how to lose....
    I don't know if that's it as much as approach, that you're not going to lose (which is the same as "Never Say Die").

Personally, I think the Reds' failure has been in not being able to produce at the plate. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    I don't know if that's it as much as approach, that you're not going to lose (which is the same as "Never Say Die").

Personally, I think the Reds' failure has been in not being able to produce at the plate. But that's just me.
    I agree...not being able to produce at the plate...part of that is not walking up to the plate with full confidence in the post season, you do have to believe don't you?...however, being one of the worst hitting teams in BB in Sept...what did we expect in the Playoffs...I also put a decent amount of blame on our hitting coach....Not pulling Leake & Latos...huge...

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Luck is what the Cardinals have that the Reds don't.

Ever hear of a guy name of Pete Rose? He talked about luck. How the guys who work the hardest are always the lucky ones.

And why don't you Reds fans find a rival you can compete with? As a Cardinal fan, I consider our closest rivals to be LA and SF. They have the 2nd and 3rd most World Series wins.

If you pick up a few more ex-Cardinals, it might help you out. Live on the crumbs we drop. Maybe you can sign Lohse in the off season. We have soooo many pitchers, we just can't find room for him any longer.

There is a link on the Cards Forum to the crying fans of this forum. Everybody is getting a laugh from you guys.

Keep cryin' about the Cardinals.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by aredbirdfan View Post
    Ever hear of a guy name of Pete Rose? He talked about luck. How the guys who work the hardest are always the lucky ones.

And why don't you Reds fans find a rival you can compete with? As a Cardinal fan, I consider our closest rivals to be LA and SF. They have the 2nd and 3rd most World Series wins.

If you pick up a few more ex-Cardinals, it might help you out. Live on the crumbs we drop. Maybe you can sign Lohse in the off season. We have soooo many pitchers, we just can't find room for him any longer.

There is a link on the Cards Forum to the crying fans of this forum. Everybody is getting a laugh from you guys.

Keep cryin' about the Cardinals.
    Thats weak bro. if you want to just com and laugh then do it but you don't need to post. I certainly find many of the opinions on here to be sometimes very outrageous but you don't need to just stir stuff up with posts like that.

Turn Off Ads?